BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Cleaning a "stain" on Ceramic/PPF-protected car

After a wash, I found a 3-inch stain/blemish on my tailgate. I have Ceramic Pro over Expel, and it looks as if the there was a spill/sap on unprotected paint.

I tried both Adams detail spray and CeramicPro's cleaning spray, and the discoloration is still there.

Any ideas, or am I down to having to remove and replace the PPF.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
After a wash, I found a 3-inch stain/blemish on my tailgate. I have Ceramic Pro over Expel, and it looks as if the there was a spill/sap on unprotected paint.

I tried both Adams detail spray and CeramicPro's cleaning spray, and the discoloration is still there.

Any ideas, or am I down to having to remove and replace the PPF.
Ugh, I ain't no expert, but I'd up the ante on the cleaners before a remove & replace ... off the top of my head, a few thoughts are, obviously ensuring the area is washed thoroughly:

(1.) Try a strong rinseless wash dilution
Like clay-lube-strength on back of bottle of Mckee's 37 or Optimum no rinse; spray on, dwell for few minutes, respray and wipe ... if that doesn't help ...

(2.) Try a light (fine grade) clay bar
Spray on more of the solution above and clay the area. You can also try using a bug sponge like a McKee's bug sponge ... if that doesn't work ... try a 50/50 mix of distilled water and 91% isopropyl alcohol (the other IPA) ... if THAT doesn't work ...

(3.) Try bugs & road tar remover
Like Citrol. Spray on, dwell for 30s - 1min, try a microfiber wipe off and/or the bug sponge. If THAT doesn't work ...

(4.) Try an iron remover
Like Eagle One or Iron-X or P&S Iron Buster ...

(5.) Escalating dilutions of APCs
Like meguiars, superclean, and/or Superior Products stuff you can easily order at o'reilly's like dirt buster, firepower, and/or Dark Fury

Depending on what you already have, the above shouldn't cost more than $70 all-in if you buy everything ... and if any of the above DO would you'll have to re-LSP the area too and/or patch up the ceramic.
Appreciate 0