BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-02-2022, 07:34 AM   #1
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

HUD speed limit warning customization?

Just want to rule this out by consulting with others more experienced than myself, but:
There is no way to program the warning (Orange speed sign) for say “ X mph OVER posted speed limit?”
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

+1 for this is possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 01:47 PM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I didn't need coding, I was able to just turn that off via idrive.

Also was able to get it stop the speed limit sign turning red and flashing at me when exceeding the posted speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 07:07 AM   #4
NCRob
Captain
Rep

Hi, just to clarify: I’m not asking about how to turn off feature. I want to keep the feature on but not have it flash when I exceed the posted speed limit. I would like to program it to flash when I go 5 mph over the posted speed limit.

So, would like it to engage at speed limit + 5
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:08 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Hi, just to clarify: I’m not asking about how to turn off feature. I want to keep the feature on but not have it flash when I exceed the posted speed limit. I would like to program it to flash when I go 5 mph over the posted speed limit.

So, would like it to engage at speed limit + 5
Does this not work for you via the "adjustment" option? - I can select it to notify only when I'm X over the posted speed limit, with X being any value between -10 and +10 mph.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:46 AM   #6
NCRob
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Does this not work for you via the "adjustment" option? - I can select it to notify only when I'm X over the posted speed limit, with X being any value between -10 and +10 mph.
That is exactly the functionality I am looking for but I do not see an adjustment option for that. Could you possibly take a pic of yours if not too much trouble? Or otherwise describe exactly where this is at? Pergola though is is unique to X6 and not present on X5 maybe
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Here you go:

DISPLAYS > INSTRUMENT CLUSTER > SPEED ASSISTANT

Then under 'SPEED LIMITS', select 'adjust manually'.

That allows you to choose an offset for the warning to activate, anywhere from -10 to +10 mph. You can select a different offset for speeds under 40mph. I set mine to +10 for over 40mph, and +4 for under 40mph.

The result is as follows:

- If I do 69 in a 60 zone, nothing.
- If I do 70 in a 60 zone, my speed flashes red in the HUD to tell me I'm speeding.
- If I do 33 in a 30 zone it does nothing.
- At 34 in a 30 zone it flashes.

Name:  2022-01-04 13.15.55 (Large).jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  300.5 KB

Name:  2022-01-04 13.16.00 (Large).jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  316.7 KB

Name:  2022-01-04 13.16.27 (Large).jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  292.0 KB

Name:  2022-01-04 13.16.35 (Large).jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  279.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #8
NCRob
Captain
Rep

Yeah, unfortunately the set up on my X5 is different - only allows me to manually adjust the speed to a single determined value on the fly - no such customization as you have - thanks so much though for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately the set up on my X5 is different - only allows me to manually adjust the speed to a single determined value on the fly - no such customization as you have - thanks so much though for your help!
Crazy. I wonder if this is a geographic restriction; UK/US version differences?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #10
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Adjust manually or adjust automatically does not change the fact you can set the thresholds - I can do this with adjust automatically.

All the latter does is allow the car to go to the posted speed limit if the car detects a change and if ACC is on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I think it is because the OP does not have Driver Assistant Pro (5AU), active cruise control or was assembled pre July 2019
The two offsets (urban less than 40mph) & highway greater than 40mph can be activated using Bimmercode software by changing VOFFSET & VOFFSET_LANGSAM from nicht aktiv to aktiv in the HU_MGU & 7083 BDC modules in expert mode
      01-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #12
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
@mobilejo what model is your X5? I thought all UK spec X5's came with aSLA like Sahajesh's
      01-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
@mobilejo what model is your X5? I thought all UK spec X5's came with aSLA like Sahajesh's
Mine is a UK 2020 X6. My available settings are identical to Sahajesh. It's NCRob that's missing the setting, but he's in the US. That's why I wonder if it's a regional variation.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:01 PM   #14
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Mine is a UK 2020 X6. My available settings are identical to Sahajesh. It's NCRob that's missing the setting, but he's in the US. That's why I wonder if it's a regional variation.
Just confused your picture shows you have your speed adjustment currently set to manual I did not see the option to "adjust automatically" though you do have the option to show anticipation I take it you have traffic light assist enabled as well?
      01-04-2022, 07:31 PM   #15
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just confused your picture shows you have your speed adjustment currently set to manual I did not see the option to "adjust automatically" though you do have the option to show anticipation I take it you have traffic light assist enabled as well?
Ah right, I see what you mean now.

I don't have Driver Assistant Pro (5AU) or active cruise control. I have only the standard aSLA which is mandated on all UK cars.

I imagine "adjust automatically" is for cars that have some level of active cruise/traffic light assist where the car does the driving for you? I guess as I don't have any system which controls my speed, I do not have the option for automatic adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:43 AM   #16
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ah right, I see what you mean now.

I don't have Driver Assistant Pro (5AU) or active cruise control. I have only the standard aSLA which is mandated on all UK cars.

I imagine "adjust automatically" is for cars that have some level of active cruise/traffic light assist where the car does the driving for you? I guess as I don't have any system which controls my speed, I do not have the option for automatic adjustment.
Ok so you have the same hardware as NCRob only difference is you have 3 extra coded features in SLA. The first two I have already discussed are pretty straightforward however "show anticipation" option is a bit more complicated and will require ESysx software coding as there is a third ECU (SAS3) not accessible by BimmerCode that requires changes for it to work in the USA and in my opinion not worth the effort and cost
      01-05-2022, 06:43 AM   #17
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok so you have the same hardware as NCRob only difference is you have 3 extra coded features in SLA. The first two I have already discussed are pretty straightforward however "show anticipation" option is a bit more complicated and will require ESysx software coding as there is a third ECU (SAS3) not accessible by BimmerCode that requires changes for it to work in the USA and in my opinion not worth the effort and cost
I see.

If myself and NCRob have the same hardware, is his lacking the option to adjust the speeding warning by +/-10mph because his is a USA car?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #18
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I see.

If myself and NCRob have the same hardware, is his lacking the option to adjust the speeding warning by +/-10mph because his is a USA car?
That is correct he is lacking the coding I spoke about. You have it as you stated previously , it is a UK mandatory regulation. US owners get short changed on a lot of features dues to local regulations one of them i think is the inability to close the windows with the remote key fob amongst other things
      01-05-2022, 09:29 PM   #19
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see.

That is correct he is lacking the coding I spoke about. You have it as you stated previously , it is a UK mandatory regulation. US owners get short changed on a lot of features dues to local regulations one of them i think is the inability to close the windows with the remote key fob amongst other things
Actually window close works on US models by holding the lock button on the fob
      01-05-2022, 10:45 PM   #20
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see.

Actually window close works on US models by holding the lock button on the fob
Ok I was thinking of VW's I know on certain VW models in 2016 when my wife owned a Tiguan, US spec Tiguans Golfs & Passats could not close/open their windows with the key fob like the EU spec models It was something to do with the local safety regulations & VW's dead locking mechanism incase someone was accidentally locked in the vehicle and could not get out.
I now remember it is the auto closure of the sunroof when it rains or automatically closes after 6 hours