BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #1
Szupreme
Rep
Drives: NA

Upgrading AMP for HiFi system with plug'n'play

Sifting through hundreds of posts, figured I'd synthesize the info for folks looking to just upgrade the amp that comes with the HiFi system in their G05 (MY 2021 and 2022) which I'm sure lots of us are stuck with.

Please correct any misconceptions / mistakes in my post and I'll edit it for accuracy in posterity.

Credit goes to @[VertigoAtHome], @[RC_Hund] and countless others for documenting their upgrade path. Sorry if I missed you and your valuable contribution!

The main plug'n'play amps that folks have replaced with:
  • Audiotec Fischer Match UP7 DSP with integrated MEC-A. Requires harness PP-BMW 1.7RAM to plug and play with the RAM module that comes with standard option S676 aka Hifi with Receiver Audio Module prevalent in 2021/2022 vehicles

• Audiotec Fischer Match PP 86DSP (aka Bimmertech)

• Bavsound Revenant B (for SAVs)

FAQ:
  • Q: AF Match UP7 DSP / MEC-A is discontinued - what's the best and equally powered alternative?
    A: PLEASE FILL IN! This is my main question as a new 45e owner
  • Q: will AF Match UP7BMW work with my G05?
    A: No, MY21/22 comes with S676 Hifi option which has a RAM (receiver audio module) and requires the Match UP7 DSP / MEC-A and harness solution. F15 came with S676A Hifi option which had separate amp which could be replaced by Match UP7BMW
  • Q: will menu noises / turn signal / auditory warning signals be amplified once I plug'n'play my new amp?
    A: Yes so users have decreased those warnings sounds in the menu to find the right balance. Also possible to reduce the gain from the amp but that affects volume of media being played.

Anything else worth adding? Thanks to everyone for contributing to the collective knowledge and letting newbies like me do some serious in-depth research before even receiving the car...

Useful threads (some from other model forums so beware of incompatibility with G05 setup!):
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1830327
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1830327
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1737016
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756361
Appreciate 6
      01-16-2022, 09:31 PM   #2
corozco3
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Exclamation

Hi, any one had tried with the IMPULSE 4.320?
or it isn't PnP? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #3
WellsX5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M-Sport

I’m about to pull the trigger on the Bimmer tech amp. I’ve read a lot of reviews on here and other places plus called them a few times.
Seems like good bang for the buck to get some more full surround sound.
I’m pretty sure I can do it myself which is a bonus!
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
sheranf
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X5 40i, 17 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellsX5 View Post
I’m about to pull the trigger on the Bimmer tech amp. I’ve read a lot of reviews on here and other places plus called them a few times.
Just installed in my 2022 40i. Very perceptible improvement in sound. Focal speakers are next.

Heads up: install isn’t nearly as easy as Bimmertech’s six minute video suggests. Wiring hookup is straightforward. But I couldn’t get the installation bracket for the new amp co-located with the existing RAM module in the very tight available space. I ended up adapting the install minus the bracket. I’m neither a DIY novice nor an expert but basically gave up after 90 minutes of struggling.

Overall, the sound quality gain is fabulous IMO.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #5
ATLGeek007
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
I installed mine a couple of weeks ago in my 22. It took longer than I thought because "small space, big hands"

It's definitely a major improvement.
Appreciate 2
WellsX551.50
RC_Hund61.00
      01-25-2022, 11:28 PM   #6
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

The left arm of the bracket that attaches to the extra nut you added to the body is bendable. You can bend it to make it fit.

I'd tune or at least set the sensitivity of the amp before mounting it in the cubby hole with the bracket. There is the sensitivity screw knob and clipping LED that will be at the top when mounted, so you need to set those before mounting.

I also found it easier to connect the USB cable beforehand if you're planning to tune while its already mounted. When you do start mounting the amp, do not connect the wiring harness to the RAM. Connect the harness to the RAM as the last step so you have more wiggle room w/o the cabling preventing movement.

Last edited by Sample; 01-26-2022 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 6
      01-26-2022, 06:46 AM   #7
WellsX5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad to hear that it's a noticeable improvement!
Not happy to hear I'm in for a rough install...lol
Any special tools needed? Do you need to disconnect battery or not necessary?
      01-26-2022, 06:54 AM   #8
KmanM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

How did the Bimmer tech amp mount to the included bracket? Does the backing plate slot into it with no screws? Does anyone have pics of the back?

Looking to mount a Match UP7 like this but I believe the backing plate needs to be replaced or adapted to work.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #9
sheranf
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, glad to hear that it's a noticeable improvement!
Not happy to hear I'm in for a rough install...lol
Any special tools needed? Do you need to disconnect battery or not necessary?
The BimmerTech install video shows the needed tools. They say 10mm socket but you'll need an 8mm as well. I also had a good cordless worklight, an ipad running the video, my phone camera to get a better view inside the enclosure, trim tools, etc. That video could be better IMO and the narrator has an annoying affect. Nothing in the instructions called for disconnecting the battery, so I didn't.

Some tips:
1) Prop open the cargo floor. You'll get a bit more access room. Remove the cargo cover if you've stored it under the floor.
2) After you remove the three RAM module mounting screws, minimize how much you move the unit away from its mount position. All you need is sufficient room to disconnect the main OEM harness from the RAM and connect the BT harness, which is easy. Keeping the RAM close to its mounting position may make it easier to locate the BT amp and bracket onto the RAM mount holes and reinstall the three screws.
3) Connect the BT harness to the RAM module and its harness before plugging into the amp.
4) Before tightening everything down and closing up, start the car and make sure the stereo is working. Glad I did--turned out I hadn't properly latched the BT connector to the RAM harness and one of the amp plugs wasn't properly seated. If your stereo doesn't output sound, a loose connector is the likeliest culprit and an easy fix.
5) Don't connect the USB cable for DSP programming until after the amp and its bracket are situated--it gets in the way during the hardest part of the process.

Hope all this is helpful. I can say the results are worth the (for me, somewhat frustrating) effort.
Appreciate 4
WellsX551.50
AAA59.00
      01-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #10
sheranf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanM3 View Post
How did the Bimmer tech amp mount to the included bracket? Does the backing plate slot into it with no screws? Does anyone have pics of the back?

Looking to mount a Match UP7 like this but I believe the backing plate needs to be replaced or adapted to work.
The BT amp comes with a custom backing plate preinstalled. That plate slides on to the mounting bracket. You then use a supplied 10mm screw to connect the amp assembly to the bracket. It's a solid fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
WellsX5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheranf View Post
The BimmerTech install video shows the needed tools. They say 10mm socket but you'll need an 8mm as well. I also had a good cordless worklight, an ipad running the video, my phone camera to get a better view inside the enclosure, trim tools, etc. That video could be better IMO and the narrator has an annoying affect. Nothing in the instructions called for disconnecting the battery, so I didn't.

Some tips:
1) Prop open the cargo floor. You'll get a bit more access room. Remove the cargo cover if you've stored it under the floor.
2) After you remove the three RAM module mounting screws, minimize how much you move the unit away from its mount position. All you need is sufficient room to disconnect the main OEM harness from the RAM and connect the BT harness, which is easy. Keeping the RAM close to its mounting position may make it easier to locate the BT amp and bracket onto the RAM mount holes and reinstall the three screws.
3) Connect the BT harness to the RAM module and its harness before plugging into the amp.
4) Before tightening everything down and closing up, start the car and make sure the stereo is working. Glad I did--turned out I hadn't properly latched the BT connector to the RAM harness and one of the amp plugs wasn't properly seated. If your stereo doesn't output sound, a loose connector is the likeliest culprit and an easy fix.
5) Don't connect the USB cable for DSP programming until after the amp and its bracket are situated--it gets in the way during the hardest part of the process.

Hope all this is helpful. I can say the results are worth the (for me, somewhat frustrating) effort.
Thank you very much sheranf, I really appreciate you taking the time to write out these helpful tips.
      01-26-2022, 04:08 PM   #12
WellsX5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The BT amp comes with a custom backing plate preinstalled. That plate slides on to the mounting bracket. You then use a supplied 10mm screw to connect the amp assembly to the bracket. It's a solid fit.
Mine came with a separate bracket and then the amp all nicely packed in a Black Alpha 1 box.
Package from Dubai looked like it was kicked down the street by Ace Ventura Pet Detective! LOL
RC_Hund61.00
      01-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #13
sheranf
Rep

You're welcome. Good luck with the install and let us know how it went.

Quote:
Thank you very much sheranf, I really appreciate you taking the time to write out these helpful tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 07:24 PM   #14
temoore48
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 4.5e

Garage List
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
BimmerTech Installation Tip

I just finished the installation (have tested, but not driven with it, sounds good). It was much harder to try and get the amp/bracket in, the video made it look much easier. The large bundle of cables physically attached the the existing RAM module made it really difficult. The connection (physical, not electrical) to the RAM module can be "disconnected" by pulling the plastic "tab" out of the RAM bracket. That gave me the room I needed and made it much easier. See no reason to try and re-attach the cable bundle as it would appear to be fine without being attached.
      01-26-2022, 07:46 PM   #15
KmanM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine came with a separate bracket and then the amp all nicely packed in a Black Alpha 1 box.
Package from Dubai looked like it was kicked down the street by Ace Ventura Pet Detective! LOL
Can you post a pic of the custom backing plate for the amp?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 08:24 PM   #16
temoore48
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 4.5e

Garage List
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you post a pic of the custom backing plate for the amp?
If you watch this video you can see the bracket that comes with it.
https://youtu.be/Qn5sTosWXmE
      01-26-2022, 08:58 PM   #17
KmanM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by temoore48 View Post
If you watch this video you can see the bracket that comes with it.
https://youtu.be/Qn5sTosWXmE
They show the mounting bracket but not the backing plate on the amp that mounts to the bracket. That is what I was hoping to see.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:31 PM   #18
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

I believe this will all be VERY helpful as additional notes - thank you! My unit is scheduled for delivery tomorrow after a trip through the Dubai and Italy (haha!). The only concern now is me being a novice I'm a bit nervous after reading all this....their video of course makes it all look very straight forward.

Quote:

Some tips:

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #19
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
I believe this will all be VERY helpful as additional notes - thank you! My unit is scheduled for delivery tomorrow after a trip through the Dubai and Italy (haha!). The only concern now is me being a novice I'm a bit nervous after reading all this....their video of course makes it all look very straight forward.
Additional tip would be to line the space below the amp with a towel so that if you drop any hardware you don't end up spending time trying to fish out said dropped hardware. Lots of spaces where your fingers can't get to...
Appreciate 5
      01-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #20
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

RC_Hund Should I pop over to your house for some oversight on the install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Hund View Post
Additional tip would be to line the space below the amp with a towel so that if you drop any hardware you don't end up spending time trying to fish out said dropped hardware. Lots of spaces where your fingers can't get to...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #21
WellsX5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They show the mounting bracket but not the backing plate on the amp that mounts to the bracket. That is what I was hoping to see.
I can send a picture when I do the install this weekend
      01-27-2022, 01:59 PM   #22
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

sheranf I haven't installed it yet, but there is a note about potentially needing a remote programing/coding session? I'm only replacing (adding) amp, nothing else (yet); but I do NOT have additional tunning files...did anyone load diff files than what came from factory preloaded?

Also, my internal looks a little different than what the video shows? To be sure, I ONLY have a RAM unit seen below; their video moves very quickly through critical steps. . . I have a 45e with base Hifi.....I wish they made the video 2x as long and really dummy walked through steps slowly emphasizing areas . . .

EDIT: Looks like it's all hooked up and working - sounds good, def louder, I need to play with diff audio sources. The VOL for the car chimes and beeps are a bit louder…..
Attached Images

Last edited by dananelson1; 01-27-2022 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0