BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #1
robg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Did you constantly second guess your order?

Waiting for an X5 45e to come in. I waffled back and forth on getting the Msport pkg (mostly because I just love carbon black), and getting Sensafin seats (vs Merino). Also changed the exterior and interior color a couple times (landed on xline trim with Phytonic over Coffee merino). When I really thought about it, my logic was that I'd rather prioritize features and interior feel/comfort over exterior looks. But of course I feel a pang of regret everytime I see an Msport version drive by. Mostly I think its cause I really prefer the blacked out (vs aluminum) trim...and I couldnt stomach blowing 3k just for that. One other minor screwup- I forgot to spec the 20" wheels (cause they weren't on the configurator at the time but I should've asked).. It didn't help that I was in the UK recently and seemingly every x5 had the msport body kit.

That being said, I "upsold" myself a bunch of time after getting sucked into the idea of getting X5 45e off the dealer lot that was 70k (so pretty basic spec)...once the possibility of custom order opened up I was like a kid in the candy store. Still kind of annoyed about BMWs blatant price gouging by forcing you to order the exec package just to get DAP (all I wanted was adaptive cruise control).

Anyone else waffle back and forth on options or prioritizing looks over features?

Last edited by robg; 11-19-2022 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Yeah it was a struggle when placing order, but looking back, it is really an issue because we had the option to choose. If we were to pick one off the lot, we will be ok with. It is a first world problem. 😅

When choosing my options, one way I look at a few options (MSport, shadow trim, hitch), which I want, is if I were to retrofit afterward, can I reproduce similar result with similar money. These three are definitely good deal at this angle. What I missed and should have order is multi contour seat. I have a few older bmw with sport seats that I like, so I skipped multi contour. But I found g05 sport seats are but too big for me, especially seat back is a bit high. I am thinking maybe multi contour will be better now. Oh well next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
comebackidlci
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i

I was in the same boat a few cars ago and figured I'll retrofit in the worst case scenario. Ultimately a bad idea since retrofitting just cost more and you have to account for original parts if you plan to keep them. Ever since then, every car I order I get all the options lol
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 02:46 PM   #4
robg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Yeah it was a struggle when placing order, but looking back, it is really an issue because we had the option to choose. If we were to pick one off the lot, we will be ok with. It is a first world problem. 😅

When choosing my options, one way I look at a few options (MSport, shadow trim, hitch), which I want, is if I were to retrofit afterward, can I reproduce similar result with similar money. These three are definitely good deal at this angle. What I missed and should have order is multi contour seat. I have a few older bmw with sport seats that I like, so I skipped multi contour. But I found g05 sport seats are but too big for me, especially seat back is a bit high. I am thinking maybe multi contour will be better now. Oh well next time.
For sure. I’ve ordered cars and bought off the lot in the past. You are right that there’s less opportunity to second guess when doing that. I did once buy an x3 35i off the lot because it was an incredible deal - annoyingly they didn’t spec heated seats on it! (Probably why it was sitting around). Almost repeated that mistake with fairly low spec x5 that the dealer had on the lot - but I knew I’d regret not having all the features that I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

No, not at all on either of mine including one with Individual paint that I hadn't seen in person. The biggest thing of course is the colors and I let my wife pick those. After that it basically is check all of the option boxes and good to go.
      11-19-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I think I'm an outlier here. I've purchased something like 18 or 19 cars in my life, and everyone of them was off the lot except for the recent purchase of my 45e.

I guess, even as our wealth grew and as we aged, I kept looking for things like high quality CPO's or 0% financing and was able to find them especially with the Audi brand (multiple A4's, A6's and a TTS). So the decision framework was limited to what was available.

The 45e is still a bit of unicorn so it had to be custom ordered. The only mild regret I might have is not ordering the comfort seat upgrade. The sport seats are fine, but the members here rave about the comfort seats for road trips.

I am very happy to have ordered an MY22 since I would have had to spend an additional CDN $11K to even get leather seats for the MY 23.

Last edited by LOFT; 11-19-2022 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:36 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Everyone has their priorities, and only you can decide what's best for you.

I got many of the options on mine, but the only one I thought about was the night vision (not currently available, but was when I bought mine). I don't drive all that much at night, and with the cost, decided against it. I've not owned one with the rear wheel steering, or driven one, and I decided with the added weight and complexity, it wasn't worth it to me, anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
no waffling. looks first then pick the options we want/need. if the price is higher than expected, we keep the options we really want and may cut the options we don't really need, but the 'look' tends to hold firm.

we actually ordered my wife's 530e last month. got everything we wanted except the Parking Assistant package (which isn't available anymore due to parts shortages…for now)

Last edited by nZtiZia; 11-19-2022 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 05:28 PM   #9
scungilio
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

I did not order the Merino on a '21 M50i which was a mistake as it was only 1K more. The Vernasca has held up extremely well. 2 years on the road, wipe off the seats with a wet microfiber towel and they look like new. Actually they look new even before a wipe down.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #10
FireMedic
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

I changed my order a couple times and thought I was all set. Then the dealer calls and said I got bumped to '23 and I started all over again. Now I have things that I probably will never use on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #11
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I haven't worried too much on BMW orders, since most things are package dependent in the US. Once you have ordered a few, you tend to know what options you must have to be happy. Now on my Porsches, that is a whole different story. My Cayenne was mostly just a few things I waffled on, but my Taycan order has changed about 10 times, it locks in 11/30, so trying not to look at the configurator too much (allocation came up in May, so too much time to tinker with the build).
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 09:17 PM   #12
double_cheeseburger
Rep
Drives: mini

It was a struggle for me as well. I love both M sport and DAPP. I went with Executive + DAPP without M sport at first. Then I changed to M sport only plus some other options. Finally I ended up with M sport + Executive + DAPP. Got the car. Super happy with it. My 2 cents are get what you want otherwise you will always second guess. Adding one option to the order would just be $50-100 more monthly payment. Do it and then make more money!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 09:37 PM   #13
NorwegianBlue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Waiting for an X5 45e to come in. I waffled back and forth on getting the Msport pkg (mostly because I just love carbon black), and getting Sensafin seats (vs Merino). Also changed the exterior and interior color a couple times (landed on xline trim with Phytonic over Coffee merino). When I really thought about it, my logic was that I'd rather prioritize features and interior feel/comfort over exterior looks. But of course I feel a pang of regret everytime I see an Msport version drive by. Mostly I think its cause I really prefer the blacked out (vs aluminum) trim...and I couldnt stomach blowing 3k just for that. One other minor screwup- I forgot to spec the 20" wheels (cause they weren't on the configurator at the time but I should've asked).. It didn't help that I was in the UK recently and seemingly every x5 had the msport body kit.

That being said, I "upsold" myself a bunch of time after getting sucked into the idea of getting X5 45e off the dealer lot that was 70k (so pretty basic spec)...once the possibility of custom order opened up I was like a kid in the candy store. Still kind of annoyed about BMWs blatant price gouging by forcing you to order the exec package just to get DAP (all I wanted was adaptive cruise control).

Anyone else waffle back and forth on options or prioritizing looks over features?
I could have written your post. I really loved the carbon black, but while I was already dropping a lot of coin on this car, I just couldn't justify an extra $4k (almost) to get an appearance package and a color.

I was also annoyed by the packages that required me to buy other things when all i wanted was DAP and the laser lights.

So I went with Alpine White and splurged on a set of 21" wheels, which I think makes it look so much better.

The only thing I went back and changed was adding Harmon Kardon sound system; it was not available when I submitted my order, but a few weeks later it popped up on the options list again.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 07:28 AM   #14
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:

I'd consider a 24 if…

Vented seats, soft closing, leather… adjustable came back to a 40i.

45e's just don't make sense for us and the 50 just drinks too much gas.

Why custom order if some of the best options are missing?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 08:16 AM   #15
scungilio
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I'd consider a 24 if…

M50i drinks too much gas?
M50i/40i 22/25 per the EPA. Very small difference for a seriously upgraded vehicle. Couple hundred bucks a year more for gas is not even worth thinking about at that point.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #16
Tony8959
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Yes I was definitely question my build until the day I received the car. I got the 40i and was wondering if should’ve gotten the 45e or 50i. But as guy with a family these days this overall was a practical purchase and had more than enough that I needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #17
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scungilio View Post
M50i/40i 22/25 per the EPA. Very small difference for a seriously upgraded vehicle. Couple hundred bucks a year more for gas is not even worth thinking about at that point.
Highway...if you're puttering around the city doing shopping, taking the kids to school or sporting events, stuck in traffic, the 50i will suck up fuel more than the 40i (21mpg) by a much bigger margin depending on on which M you're talking about...as little as 13mpg city, and if you drive it like an M, less than what the EPA rating is since the spec limits acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 04:04 PM   #18
scungilio
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Highway...if you're puttering around the city doing shopping, taking the kids to school or sporting events, stuck in traffic, the 50i will suck up fuel more than the 40i (21mpg) by a much bigger margin depending on on which M you're talking about...as little as 13mpg city, and if you drive it like an M, less than what the EPA rating is since the spec limits acceleration.
I'm not anywhere near the expert you seem to be.
22 vs 25 are the EPA figures that BMW posts on their website 22MPG for the M50i and 25MPG for the 40i.
Your WAG about M50i mileage is probably much more accurate than the EPA figure. Gotcha and I stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #19
BimmerM33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 84 Corvette, G37 Coupe, X5 45e

Quote:

Never looked back, and our order looks better to us as days go by. The 45e choice was a game changer. Frankly, getting this 23 45e MSport while still elegible for the tax rebate and before the LCI interior (which I'm not a fan of) is a stroke of good fortune and timing.

Net purchase cost, bump in mileage, option availability, air suspension, all played in our favor. Did spend a few minutes debating the trailer hitch, but i use the kick feature constantly, prefer the clean diffuser-look of rear bumper ( even more so with the carbon black/extended Shadowline trim combination), and getting the stealth hitch which stays out of sight, suits my needs perfectly.

Some of the extras in the executive package (which I needed to get Merino leather) that I wouldn't have purchased separately, like sky lounge, I've come to really enjoy.

First car I've ever configured and ordered. And doing so even got us ability to do the Performance Center Delivery. Won't be the last.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 05:57 PM   #20
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

I got an x-line with stock 19s and I love it. It gets driven on unpaved & muddy roads and goes to the car wash about once a season. I never really second guessed myself, like you it just didn't make sense for me to spend thousands more on an appearance package. I know I'm an outlier on this forum though . My previous car was less than half of the x5 MSRP so I figured I spent enough already as it was.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 06:33 PM   #21
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The base, stock X5 by the standards of many vehicles, is still very nice. You can jazz it up a lot with other creature comforts, but even in basic stock, it's nicer than many other vehicles out there. Once you get used to some of those extras, they're hard to give up. In this case, ignorance is probably bliss.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 05:45 PM   #22
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scungilio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I'd consider a 24 if…

That 50 is 16/22 brother.

40 is 21/25.

I see 20 in ours. Expect 15 if you mostly do short drives. The v8 drinks gas. But it's fun.
Appreciate 0