BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
AndrewGS
Aspiring BMWist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS

My Extended Test Drive Review of the i3 REx

I just thought I'd share my review of the i3 REx. I really like the car but I just can't see it being worth the MSRP. If the lease were about $100 less per month I could see getting one for myself, but that $600/mo. lease (with desired options) along with the 1.6G REx tank mean it's not the car for me.

Quote:
I'd like to give everyone my impressions of the BMW i3. I've had the car for 24 hours now and I'll have it another 24 before I take it back, but I've been through all the menus and settings, driven it on all types of roads and have charged it both at home (well, kinda) and at a charging station. The only thing I have yet to experience is the range extender, but I know that will be coming too as I can't find an SAE DC charging station.

Firstly, the car is cool as all hell. It looks like what everyone thought the cars of today would look like twenty years ago. If you showed someone from 1994 a 2015 Malibu and a 2014 i3 he'd never believe that the Malibu was a modern car, but he'd be unsurprised by the i3. The car sparked several conversations and lots of looks, but I'm sure some were in disgust as the design is polarizing. The interior continues the concept car theme but gives up some materials quality and ergonomics (mainly the power button and shifter location) in the process. You'd never think this were a $53K car, much less a BMW.

The car drives nice and is silent, with lots of instant torque and one pedal operation thanks to the drag of the drive motor recharging as you decelerate to a stop, which if you do it right will happen without the use of the brake pedal. The only real issue in driving dynamics being the quick steering at highway speeds. It should be variable assist. The ride quality is a little harsh, but bearable and it handles pretty well for its narrow tires. Oh, and I'm annoyed that I have to hit the ECO PRO button every time I get in the car. Why can't it remember the last setting?

The iDrive system has its positives and negatives, but overall I like it better than a touch screen. Annoyingly, the system stays on after you turn the car off and open the door, but locking the car or just pressing the car's power button will shut it off. I really like the split screen mode with entertainment on the left and navigation on the right. The main instrument display is also very nice and shows you energy flow in an easy to read graphic. The sound quality is just acceptable for an $800 Harman Kardon upgrade.

As for range, you're looking at 75 miles or so from a full battery. The charging process is just like any other car, but I found the charge times to be a bit long on the 120v Level 1 unit which can take 20 hours. Also, the charge port is on the opposite corner of the car than you'd expect and I had to back into the charging station. The range extender is nice to have but its tiny 1.6 gallon tank means it's only good for 55-65 miles of extra range. Level 2 charging is much quicker at about 4 hours which is perfect for charging at home. This car has the $700 DC fast charging option, but good luck finding an SAE charger. An overwhelming majority of DC chargers are CHAdeMO. I drove to a DC charger and found that out the hard way. Meanwhile, three $30K Nissan Leafs DC charged while I sat there trickling in juice on the Level 2 AC charger.

All in all, it's a toy for the wealthy that commute each day. If you don't mind giving up some comfort and ergonomics to look like you just drove in from 2029 and you have $50K+ for a "work car" then by all means, enjoy. For the vast majority of the world, buy a Leaf or a Spark EV.

Photos

Robert, whom I met at the charging station, was excited to see the i3 and gave it a good looking over. He pulled in as I was charging and I let him charge his Leaf because I had the REx and he didn't. He loved the i3, but not the price.

09-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
-1-
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV

I've had my i3 for less than a week and I love it. As a current Prius Plug In owner, I wanted more EV range. When discussing EVs, here's a typical line you'll always get, "For the vast majority of the world, buy a Leaf or a Spark EV". Someone is ALWAYS telling you what you SHOULD buy. I did my research and I'm capable of making decisions without suffering buyers remorse. The i3, new model, new look, and I'm loving it. Chevy Spark EV? I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
AndrewGS
Aspiring BMWist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS

Don't get me wrong, I love the i3. It's just not a $50K-$55K car in my opinion. For most people that want an EV to commute in, the Leaf or Spark would fit the bill with a much lower price tag. If you want all the things the i3 offers and can afford to pay for it, then great!

BTW, I finally drove it on the range extender and it was seamless. I filled it up before dropping it off and the associate at the gas station was a bit perplexed.

Last edited by AndrewGS; 09-26-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
That interior! I'm obsessed with real wood finishes. That is perfection..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGS View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the i3. It's just not a $50K-$55K car in my opinion.
This is the problem I'm having. I'm in a situation now where I will occasionally, 2 days a week or so, need a 3rd car to take to/from the train station and, less often, to the airport. So far, prices I'm hearing just don't make this car make sense for what it was designed to be, a city/commuter car. Now, if I drove it every day, I might be more willing to pay the price tag, but I would still have a hard time looking at it as a $50k car, when looking at what that $50k can also buy you….

I'm waiting for some lease numbers from my CA. I do really like this car and without having gotten too serious yet, I do think I want one. It just seems so perfect and fun for hopping around town and to the train. I suspect I would drive it far more often than the needs that prompted me to consider getting a 3rd car. But it cannot cost me as much as my very well equipped 335.

Last edited by chrisny; 09-29-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

you can lease a base model Mega World i3 BEV for $399 a month with not much down

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel View Post
you can lease a base model Mega World i3 BEV for $399 a month with not much down
What kind of MSRP would that be based on? Even given it's purpose, in order to get this car, I would still probably "need" the 20" wheels, parking, and tech packages. Rest I can live without. Now presumably, I would want the fast charging and charging station, but I haven't researched enough to know that side of it yet. So fast charging and station aside, that puts me to $47k, shows an owner's choice of $575. I would also have the BMWCCA credit (if they're offering one), and was invited to do the ultimate driving experience as well, for another $1000 credit (again, if it applies to the i3).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I would still probably "need" the 20" wheels, parking, and tech packages.
Living in NY, with the 20" wheels, you'd also (really) need a set of 19" winter tires...the 20" ones only come in summer performance tire configuration. The 19" ones are all-season, with optional 19" winter tires. So, given that, maybe rethink the 20" ones, as you'd be adding another $1600 + tax or so for the winter tire set.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Living in NY, with the 20" wheels, you'd also (really) need a set of 19" winter tires...the 20" ones only come in summer performance tire configuration. The 19" ones are all-season, with optional 19" winter tires. So, given that, maybe rethink the 20" ones, as you'd be adding another $1600 + tax or so for the winter tire set.
I'm used to swapping out for the winter on my other cars, including the X5, all-seasons just get too hard in the cold weather. But you raise a good point. Might be silly to do so for a 3rd vehicle. That said, not sure I would trust this, being a RWD, in the snow even with all-seasons, so would either go with a winter set or just not drive it in bad weather. Chances are, I wouldn't need the 3rd vehicle those days anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
What kind of MSRP would that be based on? Even given it's purpose, in order to get this car, I would still probably "need" the 20" wheels, parking, and tech packages. Rest I can live without. Now presumably, I would want the fast charging and charging station, but I haven't researched enough to know that side of it yet. So fast charging and station aside, that puts me to $47k, shows an owner's choice of $575. I would also have the BMWCCA credit (if they're offering one), and was invited to do the ultimate driving experience as well, for another $1000 credit (again, if it applies to the i3).
Mega world, no options

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0