BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #199
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
What I read here supports my assumption that those who prefer automatics have daily drives that require appliances. On the contrary, those of us who wouldn't think of owning an automatic have commutes and errands where we can enjoy the drive. I often make mundane shopping interesting in my 128i M-sport 6-speed by taking the long way to farms to purchase local produce. Even my daily drive to work is therapeutic instead of a chore with my perfectly balanced small BMW. And, yes, we do have an automatic in the family to compare as my wife has an arthritic left knee and prefers not to have a clutch. Whenever I drive her E90 sport, I prefer to operate it in the sport-shift mode, and not even always in full "manual". And, of course, I drive new BMWs every day in my work. But, again, I have made the life-style choice to live where I do and sacrifice potential earnings over the past 50-years in favor of quality of life—every day. And that includes shifting for myself.

And when my wife's E90 spent a couple of days in the shop recently, she enjoyed her short stint in our 1985 535i stick. It's always good to go back to your roots occasionally.

Believe me, many of my customers expressed relief to learn that the new M2 would come as a rear-drive-only with manual transmission as standard. Not everyone is a two-pedal zealot with cognitive dissonance.
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
shadowfax1289.00
bmw1racer998.00
      09-06-2022, 08:39 AM   #200
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
If I had room and a trailer I'd go get me a used spec miata and call it a day. It would be nice to use tiny cheap tires and brakes. I love my f82, but the consumables are not cheap.

I would love to do track days. But not in any of my current cars lol.

But I think even then I wouldn’t want a manual. Or maybe it depends on the car. I guess as I learn certain tracks then once I become decent I’ll get a proper auto performance car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:14 AM   #201
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
If I had room and a trailer I'd go get me a used spec miata and call it a day. It would be nice to use tiny cheap tires and brakes. I love my f82, but the consumables are not cheap.

I would love to do track days. But not in any of my current cars lol.

But I think even then I wouldn’t want a manual. Or maybe it depends on the car. I guess as I learn certain tracks then once I become decent I’ll get a proper auto performance car.
If it is a track only car, full analog. Well unless you're doing wheel to wheel or time attack or something
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #202
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral White F82 ZCP 6pd

I don't. I drive one every day and love the hell out of it

2011 Blk M3 ESS VT2 625/ES Race *Sold*
2018 MW F82 ZCP 6spd *Sold*
2021 Audi S5 SB
Appreciate 1
G80indy1714.00
      09-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #203
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If it is a track only car, full analog. Well unless you're doing wheel to wheel or time attack or something
That's what i mean. Let's say i want to hit up limerock. I think for me to understand the track i would need a slow car. Usually old slow cars are better suited with a manual (because back then the autos sucked bad). That way i can learn the track, learn the lines etc.

Then as my skill level improves, i would get a faster car, which means i would get something with an auto. And then see how fast i can go around that track. So basically time attack.

Auto = faster lap times, faster 1/4 times as well.

But rudimentary driving, then yeah i guess a manual could work.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #204
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
That's what i mean. Let's say i want to hit up limerock. I think for me to understand the track i would need a slow car. Usually old slow cars are better suited with a manual (because back then the autos sucked bad). That way i can learn the track, learn the lines etc.

Then as my skill level improves, i would get a faster car, which means i would get something with an auto. And then see how fast i can go around that track. So basically time attack.

Auto = faster lap times, faster 1/4 times as well.

But rudimentary driving, then yeah i guess a manual could work.
Or you could just hire an Uber driver with Lime Rock experience . . .

Many have said it before me: "Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow." Becomes doubly true when the "slow" car is a stick and the "fast" one has a slush-box.
Appreciate 1
dizz81311.00
      09-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #205
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Or you could just hire an Uber driver with Lime Rock experience . . .

Many have said it before me: "Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow." Becomes doubly true when the "slow" car is a stick and the "fast" one has a slush-box.
I rather just go fast.

Which means it can only be done with an auto

You guys that want to do your kung fu while driving is fine as well. Just know you're going to be in the back of the pack doing that by yourselves
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 05:38 PM   #206
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
I rather just go fast.

Which means it can only be done with an auto

You guys that want to do your kung fu while driving is fine as well. Just know you're going to be in the back of the pack doing that by yourselves
I don't track my cars very often, but I have spent a lot of time at the track. I can say a friend of mine has set a few time trial records at a few tracks in a manual so I'm willing to bet skill has more to do with it than manual vs auto.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      09-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #207
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't track my cars very often, but I have spent a lot of time at the track. I can say a friend of mine has set a few time trial records at a few tracks in a manual so I'm willing to bet skill has more to do with it than manual vs auto.
I agree 100%.

Skill will definitely bring out the BEST of the car that person is driving.

But again, being that auto's are superior to manual counterparts, that skilled driver would have faster lap times in the auto.

Some of the fastest cars in the world, that set the fastest lap times are cars with auto's. There's a manual or 2 in there but auto's really have evolved greatly.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #208
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

Maybe your to young or inexperienced with manuals to realize that many of us get so much enjoyment our of shifting for ourselves that far outweigh a tenth of a second improvement with an Auto. If Auto is your thing I understand that you are far from alone and I am in the minority but whether it be a Porsche PDK or any other modern auto it will never be the same for me
Appreciate 3
G80indy1714.00
BMWCCA12256.50
dizz81311.00
      09-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #209
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
whether it be a Porsche PDK or any other modern auto it will never be the same for me
CC850 has entered the chat

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 07:48 PM   #210
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe your to young or inexperienced with manuals to realize that many of us get so much enjoyment our of shifting for ourselves that far outweigh a tenth of a second improvement with an Auto. If Auto is your thing I understand that you are far from alone and I am in the minority but whether it be a Porsche PDK or any other modern auto it will never be the same for me
I assume this post was directed at me?

If so, i'm 40. So not exactly young? I been driving manuals since 15. Way before i got my license. I always had at least ONE manual car since the age of 15. I still have a manual car now. My C7Z. Insane car. Wish it was the auto.

I am not saying you guys are wrong for enjoying manual driving.

I said you guys are wrong for stating you can ONLY enjoy a manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:07 PM   #211
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Quote:
I assume this post was directed at me?

If so, i'm 40. So not exactly young? I been driving manuals since 15. Way before i got my license. I always had at least ONE manual car since the age of 15. I still have a manual car now. My C7Z. Insane car. Wish it was the auto.

I am not saying you guys are wrong for enjoying manual driving.

Im well past 40 if it was directed at me and drove manuals most of my life. Tbh a lot of older guys i know are moving to autos due to joint issues etc. Been there, done that.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #212
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Sorry not with me, you are incorrect. I do not like automatic transmissions. I driven plenty of them. If I have to manually shift a torque converter type, then it's not even a close approximation. A DCT, well that's really a manual gearbox tied to another manual gearbox. If I use paddles to shift it when I want, then I'll just use a clutch and shift lever. I can only enjoy a manual transmission vehicle.

It's you who thinks you can enjoy an auto trans...
You don't have to manually shift a torque converter trans car wtf lol.

Actually leaving it in auto nets you the fastest shifts as the computer knows when to shift for optimal acceleration.

You guys are still wrong when you say you can ONLY enjoy a manual car. That's all i'm saying. Enjoyment comes from the overall experience of the car. Not because you're shifting gears.

If that's the case, you're implying that a 1990 civic 5 speed is more fun to drive than say an M3 comp.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:13 PM   #213
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Im well past 40 if it was directed at me and drove manuals most of my life. Tbh a lot of older guys i know are moving to autos due to joint issues etc. Been there, done that.
Post wasn't directed at you but could be a general post to anyone thinking i'm inexperienced with manuals that's why i prefer auto more.

I don't have any joint issues. In fact i am very athletic for my age. Imagine a 5'10 guy who can still grab a 10 foot basketball rim. Not bad.

I just don't want to shift anymore. I lost the love for it. I don't hate manuals. I just don't have any interest in them at all anymore. I actually enjoy auto more now. Especially with how advanced cars have gotten.

We should be glad we have this before we all go EV.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:15 PM   #214
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't give a shit about shift speed. I get more enjoyment trying to make the perfect shift. Every time.
That's great. Not saying you're wrong about what you enjoy.

Just saying you guys are wrong when you say you can ONLY enjoy driving manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #215
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not me. Sorry, I ONLY enjoy driving a manual. You just don't understand.
I understand perfectly.

But that doesn't make what i said wrong. Think about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:42 PM   #216
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You don't understand what the word "you" means. Have a good evening.
LOL

It's a general post!

Meaning you = you in general/all/generally speaking

Not you as in YOU YOU. Wtf lol
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #217
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
You don't have to manually shift a torque converter trans car wtf lol.

Actually leaving it in auto nets you the fastest shifts as the computer knows when to shift for optimal acceleration.

You guys are still wrong when you say you can ONLY enjoy a manual car. That's all i'm saying. Enjoyment comes from the overall experience of the car. Not because you're shifting gears.
I'm beginning to see why you have so many posts, having joined but one-year ago!

I don't know why you don't go all the way and get a self-braking car for the track, too. I'm sure it could brake better than you can and we already know the automatic trans can shift better than you can. So what's left? Automatic steering for the race track, too? I'm sure you'd be faster. Isn't that what it's all about for you?
Appreciate 1
G80indy1714.00
      09-06-2022, 09:02 PM   #218
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I'm beginning to see why you have so many posts, having joined but one-year ago!

I don't know why you don't go all the way and get a self-braking car for the track, too. I'm sure it could brake better than you can and we already know the automatic trans can shift better than you can. So what's left? Automatic steering for the race track, too? I'm sure you'd be faster. Isn't that what it's all about for you?
I like debates what can ya say? lol

Especially when i'm the one who has to school people. I hate to do it but when shit needs to get corrected, i have to correct it.

Again, no one is saying you're wrong for liking manual, or wanting to drive a manual.

But the notion that you can ONLY enjoy manual driving, then yeah that shit is all kinds of wrong.

Just because 1 or 2 or 3 people on this forum will argue otherwise, that still doesn't make what i said wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:35 PM   #219
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Not me. Sorry, I ONLY enjoy driving a manual. You just don't understand.
I understand perfectly.

But that doesn't make what i said wrong. Think about it.
He never said you were wrong, the member only stated they enjoy only driving manual vehicles.

Why are you debating forum members personal choices? I went back and read through this thread...no one said people can only have fun driving manuals. What you did was literally argue with every member stating they "personally" only enjoy driving manual cars.

You made up this argument that didn't exist and kept stating it over and over. No one said that, but you.

Quote:
Quote:
You guys are still wrong when you say you can ONLY enjoy a manual car.
Quote:
But the notion that you can ONLY enjoy manual driving, then yeah that shit is all kinds of wrong.
Quote:
Just saying you guys are wrong when you say you can ONLY enjoy driving manual.
Quote:
But to say ONLY a manual is more fun is the dumbest shit anyone can ever read.

Last edited by M3WC; 09-06-2022 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 04:30 AM   #220
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To understand a word one also needs to understand the context to use it under. Regardless, making a general statement that assumes a driver's personal preference is an error. The context of this thread asks a question to the Forum's members if they (i.e. anyone) miss driving a manual transmission vehicle. Members provided their personal responses.

You decided to change the discussion to the acceptability of other designs of transmissions as alternatives for equivalently of using a foot operated clutch. For some driver's operational preferences, they like (i.e. enjoy) deciding when to select the transmission gear they think is appropriate for the driving situation.

In numerous replies I tried to explain to you it is about the act of driving control, rather than the capability of the vehicle. That is the point of of my discussion with you that you are missing. In general, it is the same point you are missing with your debate with other Posters in this thread who prefer driving with manual transmissions.
And like i said my reply is a general post. I wasn't only responding to you, i was responding to multiple people here. Hence why i kept saying you guys are wrong.

Notice how i kept that statement very clear? You guys are wrong when you say you can ONLY enjoy manual?

How you interpret that statement based off your own reply to me is all on you. Others have been responding besides you you know.

The issue is, is that people are posting their reply based off emotion. I am not attacking what you want or love when you drive. I am simply shooting down the notion when YOU, MEANING IN GENERAL, of the people who oppose what i said, when YOU, MEANING IN GENERAL, state that you can "ONLY" enjoy a manual.

I am simply stating that is not true.

Let's leave emotions aside when we post. The end of it is we all love cars. Doesn't matter what trans it has. So let's not pretend one can only enjoy one kind.
Appreciate 0