BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #1
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Waterless Car Wash

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with waterless car wash?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
The 2-Bucket Method is Stupid (or: How To Wash w/o Much Water) https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1876318
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 06:05 AM   #3
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Anyone try this stuff before?

https://www.chemicalguys.com/swift-w...less-wash.html

https://adamspolishes.com/products/a...rless-car-wash

There are times my car just needs a clean in a few places but doesn’t warrant (at least for me) a full spray down wash.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 05:45 PM   #4
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Anyone have any recommendations or experience with waterless car wash?
I've not used it myself but ONR (Optimum No Rinse) is always well rated in reviews.
Appreciate 3
Frenetic482.00
FiatLux11.50
P111566.00
      05-24-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

I have been using Adam's Detail Spray for years on my cars (and airplanes). It shouldn't be used if the car has grime on it but if I use it frequently I can sometimes go much longer between washes. It's perfect for getting the daily and constant coating of pollen off the car this time of year.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2022, 10:03 AM   #6
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Yeah one thing about the Adams, at least from what I’ve been reading, is that it’s easier to remove. The Chemical Guys one has a sealant, which can streak.

However, I’m sure the sealant is nice to have as well if you don’t mind a little more difficult removal.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

I use it, works well on dust and pollen. Anything heavier I would give it a quick wash.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2022, 07:12 AM   #8
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

For those of you that have not invested in an expensive ceramic coating on your car, I've been very happy with the result and durability of using this product:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53...126920938&th=1

I thoroughly washed the car followed by a clay bar over the entire vehicle constantly turning and folding the clay bar. This ceramic hybrid spray takes a little effort to wipe in to the finish and I went over the entire car twice with it. It was in total about a 3 hour job to do myself but I figured if it lasts for 6 months and I have to do it twice a year it was worth it. Now over a year later I still have that deep liquid hydrophobic finish on it. All for just the price of the McGuires Clay Bar kit and a bottle of this spray. I've used it for a quick once over but mainly I just use the Adams detail spray now to wipe the car down.
Appreciate 2
Frenetic482.00
FiatLux11.50
      06-15-2022, 08:29 AM   #9
renogi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
I use it, works well on dust and pollen. Anything heavier I would give it a quick wash.
Me too!

I have tried a few of the waterless wash products and ended up preferring the Chemical Guys one the best. I purchase the one gallon concentrate and dilute it with distilled water. One area it really works well is cleaning the interior door panels and tailgate areas, the ones that get wet but not clean going through the car wash. I usually use the waterless to wipe those areas, run it through the car wash and then simply dry the excess water/soap residual left behind.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 08:42 AM   #10
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogi View Post
Quote:
Me too!

I have tried a few of the waterless wash products and ended up preferring the Chemical Guys one the best. I purchase the one gallon concentrate and dilute it with distilled water. One area it really works well is cleaning the interior door panels and tailgate areas, the ones that get wet but not clean going through the car wash. I usually use the waterless to wipe those areas, run it through the car wash and then simply dry the excess water/soap residual left behind.
I use a waffle style detailing towel that claims to reduce swirling when waterless washing. It cleans the area faster and thoroughly than microfiber.

The paint seems to be holding up well so far after a few months of use. I usually do one waterless wash a week to keep the sapphire black shining, I love this product.

My only concern was would the paint show fine scratches after a year or so. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 09:46 PM   #11
renogi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i

Quote:
My only concern was would the paint show fine scratches after a year or so. Time will tell.
My ride is a daily driver and I have not found a way to avoid scratches. If you live in a perfect world, park your car inside, never drive in inclement weather, avoid parking lots, avoid car washes, avoid traffic... then maybe... MAYBE you can avoid any scratches. But unless your are Ferris Bueller's buddy Cam I don't know anyone who is living in that kind of environment!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 06:04 AM   #12
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogi View Post
My ride is a daily driver and I have not found a way to avoid scratches. If you live in a perfect world, park your car inside, never drive in inclement weather, avoid parking lots, avoid car washes, avoid traffic... then maybe... MAYBE you can avoid any scratches. But unless your are Ferris Bueller's buddy Cam I don't know anyone who is living in that kind of environment!
You've just described the one year old Miata we have. It's ceramic protected, always garaged, never put through a car wash, and detailed frequently to keep it flawless (no micro-scratches in the finish). Yeah, it won't be like that forever but it is for now My pet peeve is when I park it in the back of the lot far from any other car, it seems I always return to it with someone that parked right next to it in a sea of empty parking spots.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the new X5 we picked up this week. I passed on the expensive spray on protection that the dealer offers. It's my wife's daily driver and she has a membership at a high quality car wash that has kept our previous X5 looking good. I'll probably do my own hybrid ceramic spray job on it after a wash and clay bar and call it good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 10:12 AM   #13
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
I've not used it myself but ONR (Optimum No Rinse) is always well rated in reviews.
I used Optimum No Rinse for quite a while several years ago when I didn't have access to a water hose. it worked really well with the two bucket method. Highly recommend. Just stick with the classic blue wash, not the green that has wax mixed in.
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      07-18-2022, 08:02 PM   #14
NYCX5M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i executive/DHP

Check out Frothe from Ammo NYC.

I am a big fan of most of the products. But the foam sprayer is clutch.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #15
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
I used Optimum No Rinse for quite a while several years ago when I didn't have access to a water hose. it worked really well with the two bucket method. Highly recommend. Just stick with the classic blue wash, not the green that has wax mixed in.
Another vote for Optimum No Rinse been using it for years
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      07-23-2022, 04:19 AM   #16
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCX5M50i View Post
Check out Frothe from Ammo NYC.

I am a big fan of most of the products. But the foam sprayer is clutch.
This is what I used on my massive X7 road trip, cross country from PCD to Alaska. Really liked it. See my journal in my signature for details
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 2