BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #23
1drive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

My parrents drove a G6 I4, it was much better than my parrents previous car Last-gen Denali, Crapola interior to say the least
      09-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #24
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1drive View Post
What I was thinking about was practicality. Since it's my only car I would tolerate worse panel fitting to get a larger sedan over a smaller coupe. It looks pretty good for a GM.
Here's Bob Lutz introducing the G8 at the Chicago Auto Show this year. (As you can see I was using the AF 'happy snappy' which takes just crappy pictures sometimes - can't be the operator. ; -)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #25
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

I think the G8 will be a nice car, both inside and out. The only issue that I see, assuming that one likes the Aussie style big brute sports sedans with an American V8, is that Pontiac is such a damaged brand. That is, even compared to other GM brands. As long as one is ok with driving something with Pontiac kidney grill, it would make a fine GT car.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #26
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Looks like the baby pooped all over the seats and dash. Yikes!

Pontiac is certainly a damaged brand in my eyes... Spinzero, I don't follow them, though--why is it damaged in the average consumer eyes? I thought the G6 was a decent hit for them.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #27
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Just wanted to update this thread a tad. I grabbed the new EVO, and in it there's a review on the Vauxhall VXR8 (our Pontiac G8 GT, essentially) vs. the BMW 335i.

The comparo wasn't as one-sided as I would have guessed. From the review, I take it that the new G8 GT will be a fun car, a bit of a brute. Only needed better damping and more engine sound to put it right up with the 335i. It's not as composed, not as much of a driver's car, but they seemed to indicate the somewhat lairy beast was a lot of fun to romp, and quite quick.

Not sure how Pontiac will spec the suspension, but I do suspect the quiet exhaust to be rectified, as Pontiacs are always some of the loudest cars on the road, save the fartcan racers.

I'll give it a try. Could be a contender. Without the baby-shit seats, of course. I'll still have trouble shaking that previously-mentioned experience with Pontiac out of my head, tho.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #28
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
The comparo wasn't as one-sided as I would have guessed. From the review, I take it that the new G8 GT will be a fun car, a bit of a brute. Only needed better damping and more engine sound to put it right up with the 335i. It's not as composed, not as much of a driver's car, but they seemed to indicate the somewhat lairy beast was a lot of fun to romp, and quite quick.
Yep, picked up the same copy and thought that the comparo was very interesting. One thing I wanted to point out is that the VXR8 is a rebadged HSV GTS whereas the G8 GT will be a rebadged Holden Commodore SS-V. The differences, in my opinion, are minute but from what I have read, the SS-V actually sounds better because it uses a less restrictive exhaust.

The only problem I will have with the G8 is the weight. No matter how you calibrate the chassis and suspension, a 4,000 pound vehicle of this class and caliber is not going to compare favorably to my experiences in 2,450 pound Miatas and 2500 pounds MINIs.
      09-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #29
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
The only problem I will have with the G8 is the weight. No matter how you calibrate the chassis and suspension, a 4,000 pound vehicle of this class and caliber is not going to compare favorably to my experiences in 2,450 pound Miatas and 2500 pounds MINIs.
Very true. I wouldn't buy it, but it's a contender for a family lead sled. We'll take a look at it when my wife tries out the 3er again.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #30
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Bad resale is all I would need to know. No-Bueno!

-Mateo