BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-02-2020, 02:27 AM   #1
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

X5 45e electric mode unavailable

I've had it a couple of times that when I drive off, after about half a minute, my car switches to Hybrid (default startup mode is Electric inidvidual). When I want to switch back to electric, it says: Electric mode unavailable. When I switch to Adaptive and then Electric, it does switch back to Electric individual.

I've checked the drivers guide for the Electric driving conditions.

1) Battery should have enough power and high voltage battery should be on the right temperature
2) Gear should be in D or R.
3) Don't push the throttle to deep.
4) Don't exceed the maximum speed.

So, the circumstance it happened were all pretty identical:

1) Full battery, don't know about high voltage temperature (can I check that somewhere?), outside temp was about 8 degrees Celcius.
2) Check, I was driving in D.
3) Didn't push it all in and certainly not passed the kickdown.
4) I was driving about 30 km/pu, flat straight road. Just me in the car, no load or anything.

So the things I cannot check is the high voltage battery temperature. But why would it switch back to electric if I do it via adaptive mode? Is there a way to figure out why the car is switching from Electric to Hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

From what i have understood so far is that once it switches on the combustion engine, the next little while you cannot engage full electric. The system wants to reach a minimal operating temperature in the ICE.
So you not being able to switch right back sounds normal to me.

Why it switched to hybrid to begin with I do not know and it does not sound normal to me. Mine only does so in kickdown, gearbox in sport mode or if the battery is fully depleated.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I've had it a couple of times that when I drive off, after about half a minute, my car switches to Hybrid (default startup mode is Electric inidvidual). When I want to switch back to electric, it says: Electric mode unavailable. When I switch to Adaptive and then Electric, it does switch back to Electric individual.

I've checked the drivers guide for the Electric driving conditions.

1) Battery should have enough power and high voltage battery should be on the right temperature
2) Gear should be in D or R.
3) Don't push the throttle to deep.
4) Don't exceed the maximum speed.

So, the circumstance it happened were all pretty identical:

1) Full battery, don't know about high voltage temperature (can I check that somewhere?), outside temp was about 8 degrees Celcius.
2) Check, I was driving in D.
3) Didn't push it all in and certainly not passed the kickdown.
4) I was driving about 30 km/pu, flat straight road. Just me in the car, no load or anything.

So the things I cannot check is the high voltage battery temperature. But why would it switch back to electric if I do it via adaptive mode? Is there a way to figure out why the car is switching from Electric to Hybrid?
I noticed the same. The ICE didn't turn on but it changed from electric individual to hybrid. E I is also my default. More than enough charge of the battery.

I first thought it was me accelerating to hard. But I isn't. And like you mention only possible to go back by adaptive if I do it immediately.

I thought it was when driving Electric long time the car is programmed to turn on the ICE was in a while to keep the parts rotating? I had been driving hundreds of km electric only.

I think however I'd didn't occur anymore after the upgrade to 03/2020 but I have also been taking my bike to go to work more and driving much less these days anyway.

Didn't really bother me but I prefer driving electric individual because the ICE turns on later than in hybrid mode (40 vs 30 % power)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Well in my case the ICE did switch on. I had it on 09/2019 firmware as well. Strange thing is, that in hybrid. The blue part was gone. Normally you see in hybrid/adaptive if you drive electric, that the “rev” meter is in blue. That blue part was grey after the car switched to hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Well in my case the ICE did switch on. I had it on 09/2019 firmware as well. Strange thing is, that in hybrid. The blue part was gone. Normally you see in hybrid/adaptive if you drive electric, that the "rev" meter is in blue. That blue part was grey after the car switched to hybrid.
Exactly the same happened to mine. The ICE didn't turn on either. I think the grey color in stead of blue is how I noticed it happened the first time. I will see if it happens again in the next weeks. Maybe it is solved with 03/2020?

It didn't really bother me but I didn't understand it either? A bug? Programmed if driving electric for a long while?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:30 AM   #6
JonnyDangerous
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I've had this a few times. Get the message 'electric mode unavailable for systems reasons'. i wait a minute or so then it lets me switch back.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #7
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Good to see I'm not the only one. It's not fixed in 03/2020.24 (that's the version I have currently).

Hopefully this will be fixed or explained. If someone has to go to the dealer any time soon, they might ask?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

In case someone was following this thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1725274
Appreciate 0