BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Anyone consider an audi s5?

Hey folks just curious, ive never driven one however i have seen a white/red in town and it is super sweet looking.

I love the looks, however how do one of these actual compare in:

speed
handeling
braking
interior
interior room
gadgets

btw i built a damn nice one on the audi website and it came out to 59
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

After my RS4 that was the exact car I wanted...until I drove it.
Handled ok but felt like a boat. Engine, nothing special like the hi rev rs4 or m3.
Here I am with an m3. Next car though will be the rs5. That's a sweet ride indeed.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
yea i was considering one because it looked great and was somewhat cheaper with loaded options than a m3. though when i looked at the power i realised its not really in the same class. RS5 is another story......
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
RS5 is still inferior to the M3, read the entire 4-page article in EVO about it...

I'll try and scan+post that in the evening...

Not a fan of Audi's at all...
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

They are nice but performance wise M3s got it beat. They do however have beautiful interiors and look great simply modded.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

I've driven the S5 on the track and it's really no comparison. I'd say the S5 is more like a GT cruiser rather than a sports coupe. Here's my opinion of your list of characteristics

speed - Slower than M3 (but also a nice sounding engine)
handling - This I think is the biggest difference, not nearly as crisp, turn in is much more sluggish and much more bias toward understeer. Probably a bit more body lean too. Probably better in the snow (but do you care?).
braking - Nice feel, probably the most comparable item between these two cars. Can't comment on fade resistance.
interior - I think these new Audi's have really nice interiors. BMW is a bit more spartan, but still very functional. I'd say a toss up but I might lean a bit toward the Audi as slightly nicer.
interior room - It's a coupe I didn't really compare interior room.
gadgets - Someone else needs to comment on Audi's MMI vs BMW iDrive. I don't really care about all the tech stuff though I ordered all the stuff on my M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I actually had an S5 before my M3. There were many reasons that led me to take the monetary hit to make the change, but I am not regretting my switch at all. IMHO, the M3 is superior to S5 in just about every way.

- Speed: M3 is much faster, but the S5 has more torque at low rpms, so it "feels" fast albeit not even as fast at the M3 feels.

- Handling: M3 trumps the S5 easily. I ended up putting KWV2 coilovers on my S5 along with a Stasis rear sway bar and it was about as good as the M3 is in stock form with the EDC turned to sport. The ride in the S5 sucks. Its harsh in stock form and even harsher with coilovers. The M3 rides like a cadillac in comparison. Road noise is significantly more on the S5 as well, though the M3 is not all that quiet.

- Braking: they are probably about equal. I don't track my cars, so I cannot speak to how well they resist fade.

- Interior: This one is tricky. IMO, from 5 feet away, the Audi looks nicer. The colors blend well and it is inviting. However, the materials in the Audi make the car feel cheap. The buttons have a confirmation click that it akin to pressing in on the sides of an empty beer can and the plastics are all hard plastic. In comparison, the BMW uses softer rubber materials and lots of stitched leather on the doors. The BMW creates this inviting comfortable bubble with all of the sturdy feeling buttons and plush leather. The leather in the M3 feels nicer than that of the S5. Also, IMO, the M3 with carbon leather is equally as appealing from behind the wheel. The M3 has a widescreen display with the option to reserve about 1/3 of the screen for the nav display. Its pretty cool. Oh yeah, one other thing that always bothered me about the S5 was that the steering wheels blocked the view of the gauges. The M3 isn't much better, but they are at least visible through the steering wheel.

- Interior room: the S5 might have a slight edge here, but the roofline is really low. For someone of my size (6' and about 220lbs), getting into and out of the S5 was somewhat of a chore. In comparison, the M3 has a much higher roofline, which makes it more liveable; however, the width and legroom is probably slightly less than the S5.

- Gadgets: hmmmmm.......the S5 has a rearview camera and PDC front and back. It also comes with more gadgets standard. In comparison, the M3 has the power rear blind and a better nav system (w/harddrive). My S5 didn't have a hard drive, but I don't know if they have added since. BMW assist is also a feature that you cannot get a comparable option from the S5.
The S5 does convenience access much better than the M3. Half the time my M3 never recognizes my key and I have to take it out of my pocket. The same thing happens to my wife with her 2010 X5. iDrive vs MMI. Hmmm.....the MMI is probably a little bit better to use. Initially, I hated the iDrive and thought that it had some series weaknesses in comparison to the MMI, but I have since come to appreciate it more. For example, when searching for new albums with the MMI, you just move the big button to the left once for albums by current artist and twice to go to the artist list. When you get to the artist list, you are at the artist you started from. In comparison, the BMW always starts from the letter A (how annoying!). Additionally, you have to scroll and press the button multiple times to get to a list of artists. In BMWs defense though, it scrolls faster than the Audi and I like that it will stay where ever I have navigated indefinitely. Many times with the Audi, I started to search for new music and the light turned green. By the time I had gotten to a point where I could continue my search, the Audi system had returned to the original screen and I had to start my search all over. In summary, I think they are both equally as bad, but flawed in different ways.

Overall, the M3 is getting about 1 mpg better than my S5 did over the year that I owned it. The M3 is more comfortable and more liveable. Also, the insurance is lower for my M3 than it was for the S5.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Jet335i
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '11 E92 M3

I was contemplating one before my m3...the s5 looks inside and out are phenominal....but that "ooomf" just isn't there when you plant your foot. I sat inside the m3, interior was the exact same as my 335i and i thought "eh, it's ok so far". That was until I started it up and took off in 3rd gear and heard that exhaust note....never looked back.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

06-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Wouldn't get an S5 over an M3, but if they made a new RS4, something to consider. If it weren't for all my dealer service woes, I wouldn't even consider jumping ship. When will BMW realize that service is just as important as selling the car. Anyone know how Audi's track record is like when it comes to service?

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!

Last edited by jrlee53; 06-08-2010 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

I considered it until I test drove both the S4 and the M3....the M3 is in a very different league in terms of performance. However, the S5 is a very good looking car and has a very visually appealing interior.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
Wouldn't get an S5 over an M3, but if they made a new RS4, something to consider. If it weren't for all my dealer service woes, I wouldn't even consider jumping ship. When will BMW realize that service is just as important as selling the car. Anyone know how Audi's track record is like when it comes to service?
Not any better....... at least here In Germany
      06-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Yes...briefly...and then no for the same reasons everyone else gave. Plus, I'm a BMW guy at heart and would have felt like a traitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

its a nice car. If interior luxuries and just overall interior design is more important to you than performance (of an M3).
      06-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

I am surprised to hear people say that the interior space on the S5 is better.
One of the main reasons I chose the M3 over the S5 was the space in the M3.
OK, I am 6 foot 3 inches so way above average but I can get my teenage kids in the back easily. With the S5 it is totally impossible to sit anyone behind me; the front seat is practically touching the rear and moving forward one inch makes it impossible to drive it.
Apart from that, the one that I configured (black with red and 20" wheels) very nearly had me handing over my cash - lovely car. Had to settle for used with the M3. Also, the M3 fits in my garage - the S5 is bigger.
If you get an S5 consider an aftermarket exhaust - AWE sounds terrific and it's good value.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
Mjolnir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Le Mans Blue ZCP DCT

In my mind the Audi S5's competition is the 335 or the newer 335is.

The RS5, if it ever makes it to the U.S., is more a direct competitor to the M3, but the estimates on price make it significantly more expensive than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #17
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
In my mind the Audi S5's competition is the 335 or the newer 335is.

The RS5, if it ever makes it to the U.S., is more a direct competitor to the M3, but the estimates on price make it significantly more expensive than the M3.
+1

Infiniti G35 S vs Audi S5 vs BMW 335
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
op487062
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi s5

i have an s5, although i considered the m3 and cayman s before purchasing.

if you want handling and performance, m3 hands down. also, value-wise it is difficult to beat the m3. i picked the s5 because, at the time, it was more unique. 335i/m3's were everywhere in los angeles--to bmw's credit for making such great cars. i liked that the s5 looked and sounded great with decent performance to go along with it. i don't drive fast often (rarely go above 70-75) and because my driving is mostly in the city, cornering isn't as important. i don't regret my purchase but i'd probably adopt different driving habits and opinion if i had an m3.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #19
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
RS5 is still inferior to the M3, read the entire 4-page article in EVO about it...

I'll try and scan+post that in the evening...
You picked one of only two reviews that had anything negative to say about the RS5, which is power for the course with people trying to justify reasons for disliking a product or brand. It would have been better to include the 10+ other first drive reviews that give the car positively glowing comments which would have balanced things out.

Personally I think it would be much wiser to hold off until some of the European magazines get to compare the two cars together and see whether or not it's as good, worse or even better than the M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Not a fan of Audi's at all...
What...........seriously, well I wouldn't have guessed.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

i considered it until i saw the price and said to myself.. hey I can get a m3 for this much money.. plus audis tend to dive in value S series or not, its better to lease one then own, the only exception it seems is the RS series cars which hold value a little better..... this coming from a VW/Audi fan.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #21
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjord View Post
I am surprised to hear people say that the interior space on the S5 is better.
One of the main reasons I chose the M3 over the S5 was the space in the M3.
OK, I am 6 foot 3 inches so way above average but I can get my teenage kids in the back easily. With the S5 it is totally impossible to sit anyone behind me; the front seat is practically touching the rear and moving forward one inch makes it impossible to drive it.
Apart from that, the one that I configured (black with red and 20" wheels) very nearly had me handing over my cash - lovely car. Had to settle for used with the M3. Also, the M3 fits in my garage - the S5 is bigger.
If you get an S5 consider an aftermarket exhaust - AWE sounds terrific and it's good value.

It's one of the biggest failing of the car in my opinion. Though my much shorter frame (5'9") didn't suffer the same issues as yourself I couldn't take someone beyond my height behind me for anything longer than short journeys, otherwise they would become uncomfortable. This is one of the biggest plus points about the M3 and one of the reasons why I switch from my then S5.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #22
NavM
M-Sport
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I would wait until next year when Audi puts the S4's superchared V6, Sports differential and S-tronic (dual clutch) in S5. That's a perfect combination. The current V8 model has the sports diff but doesn't have the dual clutch transmission.
Appreciate 0