BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #1
Land0
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2022 BMW X5 - Faulty Suspension

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster; etc etc.

Long story short - in November 2021, I purchased an X5 40i from a dealer in California. The car was brand new, but a showroom vehicle. It's been a great car but for a single reoccurring problem that the dealer can't fix after multiple attempts.

Basically - the front left makes an obvious loose sounding knocking noise when going over bumps or uneven ground. It's done this from practically new (I think we noticed it a few days in). Since then, the car has been back with the dealer 4 or 5 times over several months having various suspension components swapped out to try and fix the issue, which still persists.

The dealer has been thus far fair to me. I got a fair deal on the vehicle (a few hundred bucks off of MSRP, which seems to be about as good as you can get in this day and age..), and they were awesome during the purchase (letting me have cars to test on my own for half a day at a time, etc). The service dept has also been fine attempting to fix the fault, and very apologetic.

However, I feel like I've hit the final straw now, and after they claimed it was fixed this time (it's not), I want them to replace the car with a new one. I can't believe that it's an inherent problem with all X5's, and we love everything else about it..

Has anyone had any experience swapping cars with a fault like this at a BMW dealer? Any idea what I should expect?

I would be inclined to let them give it another shot at fixing it given the scarcity of cars at the moment - but as I'm planning to keep it for a long time, it vexes me that I'm going to keep a car that's had such an unfixable fault, presumably from factory.

Opinions appreciated! (Mostly other war stories of other people having been through something like this, and whether it was ever resolved to your satisfaction would cool to hear.. )

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #2
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Just have them keep replacing parts.

There arent THAT many parts that could be causing this issue.

Eventually they will get it.

BMW will 100% no swap the car as its repairable and I think it requires a minimum of 3 attempts for you to sue them over lemon law.

I would escalate to the service manager and make him take responsibility that its fixed correctly and have them give you a nice loaner while you wait, like a 7 series or something.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Make sure that they have created a TSARA case for the problem. That will get the BMW engineers involved. As mentioned, there is a limited number of parts that could be causing the problem. If they still can't get it fixed then it would be time to consider pursuing the Lemon Law. from your description you may already meet the requirements. If it gets to that point they may go the buyback route rather than going through the Lemon Law process.

https://dcba.lacounty.gov/portfolio/the-lemon-law/
FiatLux11.50
      03-07-2022, 05:59 AM   #4
MadSpirit
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4, X5

Springs or air suspension?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #5
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

I've noticed a very faint knocking noise coming from the right front when cornering at low speeds. I've got air suspension.
Appreciate 1
Bavar-ian177.50
      03-07-2022, 06:51 PM   #6
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
I've noticed a very faint knocking noise coming from the right front when cornering at low speeds. I've got air suspension.
I recently had them replace a control arm due to it being what can be best described as creaky. It caused a bunch of unpleasant sounds from the front passenger side at low speeds (sometimes knocking sounds). So if yours is producing any of the sounds mine was making, and you can recreate the noise easily, you should take it in to the dealer for them to inspect it.

It started just before xmas 2021 but seemed to go away after a couple of days. Then in late feb, it started again but didn't go away. It was a little subtle at first but got worse over time. They checked it out and had to replace some parts under warranty. After they inspected it, it became unbearable. The main part of the repair was #31-10-6-878-082 (lower control arm with rubber bushing).

Took two weeks to get the parts cause they were BO... Had it taken another week to get them, I would have had to take a loaner cause the sound got pretty bad.

I have a video of what it sounded like the morning before they inspected it and it got noticeably worse after that.
https://youtu.be/Y-WADAnCrAE

You essentially only see the glove box but the noise starts at about 35 seconds in and it is almost 4.5 minutes starting from my pharmacy to my house in low speed residential area roads (max 50km/h). Started with the climate control turned off to better capture the sound but eventually turned it on when I was sure I had a decent recording I could use.

Last edited by ggalanis; 03-07-2022 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2022, 11:53 PM   #7
VK335M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335 M Sport

It sounds like you need to take advantage of the lemon law.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2022, 12:24 AM   #8
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
What I would do and have done many times When the service department cannot figure out something or consistently go back for the same thing I pick up the car go to the front of the building and trade it for another one or a go to a different brand lol but if I had to guess what the problem was here I'd say it was the A arm bushings went bad
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 06:44 PM   #9
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

See the service bulletin below. Is this your issue?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...78996-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 09:54 PM   #10
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land0 View Post
Hi all,

Long story short - in November 2021, I purchased an X5 40i from a dealer in California. The car was brand new, but a showroom vehicle. It's been a great car but for a single reoccurring problem that the dealer can't fix after multiple attempts.

Basically - the front left makes an obvious loose sounding knocking noise when going over bumps or uneven ground. It's done this from practically new (I think we noticed it a few days in). Since then, the car has been back with the dealer 4 or 5 times over several months having various suspension components swapped out to try and fix the issue, which still persists.

The dealer has been thus far fair to me. I got a fair deal on the vehicle (a few hundred bucks off of MSRP, which seems to be about as good as you can get in this day and age..), and they were awesome during the purchase (letting me have cars to test on my own for half a day at a time, etc). The service dept has also been fine attempting to fix the fault, and very apologetic.

However, I feel like I've hit the final straw now, and after they claimed it was fixed this time (it's not), I want them to replace the car with a new one. I can't believe that it's an inherent problem with all X5's, and we love everything else about it..

Has anyone had any experience swapping cars with a fault like this at a BMW dealer? Any idea what I should expect?

I would be inclined to let them give it another shot at fixing it given the scarcity of cars at the moment - but as I'm planning to keep it for a long time, it vexes me that I'm going to keep a car that's had such an unfixable fault, presumably from factory.

Opinions appreciated! (Mostly other war stories of other people having been through something like this, and whether it was ever resolved to your satisfaction would cool to hear.. )

Thanks!
I had a similar issue. I started hearing creaking/popping (probably more like what ggalanis described) just a few months after taking delivery in late March, 2020. Given COVID, I really didn't start trying to get it figured out until late Summer or Fall in 2020. Initially, I got the usual "can't recreate" situation at my dealership (understandable, as it did "come and go"...)

I eventually figured-out it was worse when it was wet (after a car wash or driving in rain for a couple of days...). After a really busy first half of 2021, I finally got it in in September, 2021. I did a drive with the service foreman...he picked-up on it right away. (By this time, you could hear it all the time, at slow speeds, by going through any dip, etc.)

They tracked it to the left, front lower control arm (part #31-10-6-878-081). It took a couple of months to get the parts and I finally got it replaced in November, 2021. Problem solved!!
      06-12-2022, 06:29 PM   #11
Bavar-ian
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

My 40i started to have faint knocking sounds at slow speeds over city roads.
3000kms in and it got worst.
It sound like a loose top control arm.
Got the car jacked up and found the right boot displaced too.
Gg in for a check in 2 weeks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 07:33 AM   #12
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land0 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!
My x5 was making a popping sound at low speeds when the wheel was turned in a certain direction. The dealer took a few shots at diagnosing and eventually correcting the issue. In the end the issue turned out to be loose or broken bolts in the rack and pinion steering system.

Good luck op.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 05:25 PM   #13
yzhou2004
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavar-ian View Post
My 40i started to have faint knocking sounds at slow speeds over city roads.
3000kms in and it got worst.
It sound like a loose top control arm.
Got the car jacked up and found the right boot displaced too.
Gg in for a check in 2 weeks
have you had it solved? if so, what were exact causes? control arm?

I am researching front faint noise issues at slow speed (<25 mph) without brakes applied on city streets (not even every bumpy). Still puzzled. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 11:44 AM   #14
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzhou2004 View Post
have you had it solved? if so, what were exact causes? control arm?

I am researching front faint noise issues at slow speed (<25 mph) without brakes applied on city streets (not even every bumpy). Still puzzled. Thanks.
Same here. I also have a 2020 X5. I've asked the dealer twice about it and they can never hear it. It seems to get louder when its cold in the morning and I first drive off. By the time I get to the dealer they can't hear it.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #15
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Same here. I also have a 2020 X5. I've asked the dealer twice about it and they can never hear it. It seems to get louder when its cold in the morning and I first drive off. By the time I get to the dealer they can't hear it.
I have some YT videos to show my issues that I posted in another thread (not just about the rear creaks but front as well). do they sound like your issues too?

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2053158
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 01:16 AM   #16
JohnWick813
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
im having this problem right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
My x5 was making a popping sound at low speeds when the wheel was turned in a certain direction. The dealer took a few shots at diagnosing and eventually correcting the issue. In the end the issue turned out to be loose or broken bolts in the rack and pinion steering system.

Good luck op.
exactly what im experiencing If I turn the wheel a full 180 to lock position than accelerate out of it I get this knocking rubbing feeling smh
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:25 AM   #17
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Just an update on my case.

And here is my YT video to show faint creaky noise issue at creeping speed. Hope it will help someone else with same problem.

I sent my car to a nearby dealer on Monday and got my car back today. Been at dealer for 3 days. They found defective left front air struct and replaced it with a new one. The part came in just 2 days. Seems supply chain is less of a problem now? The noise seems gone at test drives on my way back. But I will keep eyes on it and see it really solved the issue coz I wasn't sure where exactly the noise came from, front, rear, left or right.

Very disappointed the air struct gave way at 21K miles. Now I am concerned how long the other three will last.
Appreciate 0