12-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 30d M-Sport

iDrive Problem

Hi Folks,

My car developed a problem with iDrive early this year. It has stayed with the car through subsequent updates. BMW Service has been unable to fix it. The problem is that sometimes the car changes from EcoPro back to Comfort without me pressing the button. I like to drive in EcoPro simply because I like the blue screen. Also, I press the button to disable the Start/Stop ... but that turns itself off sometimes. The Air Recycle button also turns itself off sometimes.
Details:
  1. Press Start Button
  2. Press Eco Pro
  3. Press A-Off to turn off Auto Start/Stop
  4. Press Air Recycle button
  5. Put Car into gear
  6. Release parking brake

Then .... any one of the following can happen during the first five minutes of driving:
  1. The car will put itself back into Comfort mode
  2. Auto Start/Stop will renable
  3. Air Recycling will be turned off
  4. ... or none of the above

I can have 3 or 4 days with no problem, then one of the above will happen. Sometimes when I press the appropriate button to correct the problem it will happen again several minutes later.

The car is due for a service. I thought I'd ask here if anyone else is experiencing this before I put the car in.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1500 View Post
Hi Folks,

My car developed a problem with iDrive early this year. It has stayed with the car through subsequent updates. BMW Service has been unable to fix it. The problem is that sometimes the car changes from EcoPro back to Comfort without me pressing the button. I like to drive in EcoPro simply because I like the blue screen. Also, I press the button to disable the Start/Stop ... but that turns itself off sometimes. The Air Recycle button also turns itself off sometimes.
Details:
  1. Press Start Button
  2. Press Eco Pro
  3. Press A-Off to turn off Auto Start/Stop
  4. Press Air Recycle button
  5. Put Car into gear
  6. Release parking brake

Then .... any one of the following can happen during the first five minutes of driving:
  1. The car will put itself back into Comfort mode
  2. Auto Start/Stop will renable
  3. Air Recycling will be turned off
  4. ... or none of the above

I can have 3 or 4 days with no problem, then one of the above will happen. Sometimes when I press the appropriate button to correct the problem it will happen again several minutes later.

The car is due for a service. I thought I'd ask here if anyone else is experiencing this before I put the car in.
Is any of the following the case for you? If yes, that may explain why the car switches the driving mode. Though, it's strange the car does so silently.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

I would guess the control panel is faulty. It seems to be sensing button presses that you did not make.
      09-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #4
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Multiple control panels involved per your description. The Body Control Module controls dozens and dozens of things so I would say replace it. BMW does not like them testing that way unfortunately so they should at least reseat the connectors and reflash that module. On second thought, the recirc should be part of the HVAC control module. Are you sure it's not a battery(s) problem?
Appreciate 0