BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
Paragon-A
Paragon-A
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4

2024 X6 M60 in Isle of Man Green

My Co-worker built and ordered this gorgeous build but changed his mind after it had already gone into production. It just arrived but has no owner, any takers ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 11:47 PM   #2
hotwasabipeas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Civic Type-R

It's a pity it doesn't have real leather. That color is so gorgeous!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 02:10 AM   #3
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon-A View Post
My Co-worker built and ordered this gorgeous build but changed his mind after it had already gone into production. It just arrived but has no owner, any takers ?
Out of curiosity: Aren't you obligated to take it then? Or was there some sort of deal between him and the dealer so the dealer would sell it?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 07:45 AM   #4
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
Out of curiosity: Aren't you obligated to take it then? Or was there some sort of deal between him and the dealer so the dealer would sell it?
I don't know about this particular deal but around me, the typical deal is that the dealer will hold on to your deposit until he sells the car. For the last few years, that's been under a week. We ordered ours and then the dealer damaged it getting it off the truck, so we passed and reordered. When the dealer put it up for sale, it sold the same day.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 11:45 AM   #5
Paragon-A
Paragon-A
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We both work at the dealership so there is no penalty to changing his mind.... besides annoying the GM lol . Typically however, they hang on to the deposit until the vehicle is sold.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 05:10 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Besides what was said above, many times the dealer does not take a deposit for the order or it is refundable. In some states it is illegal for a dealer to take a non-refundable deposit. Either way, a person can walk away without taking it since there is no contract signed until you are actually picking it up.
      04-26-2023, 06:39 PM   #7
Chonkapotamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I happened to see an Isle of Man Green sedan in traffic today, and thought of this thread. That color is amazing. I would love it if my 45e were that green.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2023, 02:51 AM   #8
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Besides what was said above, many times the dealer does not take a deposit for the order or it is refundable. In some states it is illegal for a dealer to take a non-refundable deposit. Either way, a person can walk away without taking it since there is no contract signed until you are actually picking it up.
Interesting as this is not how it works in Europe at all. You order a car and it won't be ordered before you've signed the contract. But some dealers offer for you to pay before you pick it up and not after signing the contract.

How is it made sure that people aren't abusing the system then? If there's a new desireable car you could probably make a buck by ordering at the very beginning and selling your order later on, without any risk for you at all that there are no takers. Seems like a system that is pretty bad for dealers?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 03:54 AM   #9
LaGSa
Rep
Drives: XC 90 T8 RUDE 2023

Quote:
Interesting as this is not how it works in Europe at all....Seems like a system that is pretty bad for dealers?
That's because in US the consumers are more protected than in Europe. For instance, in Sweden, you have to get the car even if it's not the one you've actually ordered. Unless you pay a part of it
It might be bad for the dealers in US but in Europe is bad for the consumers. Or perhaps is just Sweden to be so bad
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 06:49 AM   #10
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep

While I'm a fan of consumer protection I don't feel unprotected at all in this case as I am ordering a custom product for a specific price that I've signed a contract for. It's quite interesting to me that you could do that in the US without any obligation to actually take the $100k product you've ordered according to your customization and could just walk away last second since this would open the dealer up to all kinds of mischief without any recourse.

In Germany you could only walk away if the product is not delivered to you as ordered, which makes sense to me. (Or if it's way too late, etc. there are several provision in the contract for all kinds of situations and you could also refuse to take it in case it is delivered on time and per spec but are then liable for any losses the dealer incurs trying to sell it. The contracts also vary from dealer to dealer I think.) During the supply chain issues there were quite a lot of cars delivered missing functions and the compensations offered for it were quite ridiculous so those who were able to wait another year on their car refused to take delivery.

If you really HAVE to take a car in Sweden that is being delivered in a different configuration than has been contractually agreed it would be pretty crazy to me though.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:03 AM   #11
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Quote:
Interesting as this is not how it works in Europe at all. You order a car and it won't be ordered before you've signed the contract. But some dealers offer for you to pay before you pick it up and not after signing the contract.

How is it made sure that people aren't abusing the system then? If there's a new desireable car you could probably make a buck by ordering at the very beginning and selling your order later on, without any risk for you at all that there are no takers. Seems like a system that is pretty bad for dealers?
Dealers probably don't care most times. They're either going to spec it themselves and let it sit on the lot until a walk-in buyer likes it, or they spec it the way a customer wants and have it sold the second it hits the lot. There are probably very few custom orders that get walked away from. Just look at the ordering thread to see how engrossed people become watching their car get built. The car in this thread is admittedly probably as tough as it gets for a dealer. The X6 is very polarizing and the chosen color won't be for everyone, making this doubly hard to move. But still, the dealer is under no obligation to serve anyone. If he thinks he'll get burned with an oddball spec custom order that'll be walked away from, he can just say "sorry, you'll have to go somewhere else."
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:46 AM   #12
Paragon-A
Paragon-A
United_States
Rep

Interesting reading all the different ways the ordering processes work in other countries. Over here (at least where I work ), people place orders and back out all the time . In most cases we do a pre-approval application and agree on numbers before placing the order but a lot of people also pay cash or come in with their own financing . Its a gamble , but the only vehicle we seem to struggle to sell after someone backs out are Z4s lol . As a Z4 owner , that's mind boggling to me but just about every other vehicle gets sold within days of someone backing out .
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:00 AM   #13
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

shit I would actually jump on this if it had the climate control and driver assist packages, even without the leather...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #14
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Color combo on this X6M is striking. Would love to see it in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:08 PM   #15
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

Nice color, just seems to be missing a handful of options. I'm sure someone will jump on it regardless.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:39 PM   #16
Bhuvi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 and 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
My dealer had me sign a non refundable deposit form of $2K and took credit card authorization. He never did actually charge me though. I dint care because I was going to buy it for sure and had custom built. I’m not sure if he would charged me with it if I refused to pick the vehicle. The form had no mention that it will be returned once vehicle gets sold if someone else were to buy it.
Appreciate 0