BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
Nicorad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Nav & Electric question

Hello,

Sorry if it was already discuss, I didn’t find anything…

When planning a trip in BMW nav, is there a way to set the battery limit (in %) to keep at destination ?

I explain, by default, if I plan a trip and I drive in hybird, the car manage the electric use to arrive almost empty at destination. I would to say, just let 50% of battery when arrive.
For now, I have to manage it manualy by using the « hold battery » button, but the car is smart should do it by itself…
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 03:57 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicorad View Post
Hello,

Sorry if it was already discuss, I didn’t find anything…

When planning a trip in BMW nav, is there a way to set the battery limit (in %) to keep at destination ?

I explain, by default, if I plan a trip and I drive in hybird, the car manage the electric use to arrive almost empty at destination. I would to say, just let 50% of battery when arrive.
For now, I have to manage it manualy by using the « hold battery » button, but the car is smart should do it by itself…
sounds like you have the X5 50e?

the vehicle will utilize HV battery/electric motor when needed for sake of efficiency. we all use the vehicle differently so there is no way (no perfect program) for the vehicle to know when it should save 30%, 50%, 80% etc which is why it’s the responsibility of the driver to do so using Battery Hold.

everyone’s use case is different.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 05:45 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Things are a bit different between the 45e and 50e, so you need to filter that into the equation. On the 45e, you can set a floor minimum, and the vehicle will either bring the battery back to that level if below, or hold it at that as it decreases. With the 50e, there's a battery hold that sets the floor WHEN YOU ENGAGE it...while you can play with it a bit, you cannot force it to recover like you can with the 45e. On the 45e, you can set between 30-100%, and, if your trip is long enough, it will be at that state when you stop or turn the battery hold off.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 04:32 PM   #4
RetSurfer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I just finished a 1200-mile trip, 500 each way and 200 while there.

I used BH on my 50e on the way down at 41%. It dropped a couple of times while in stop and go traffic but quickly recovered.

While there I used it until it dropped to 7%.

Hit Hybrid on the way home, no BH. It stayed around 1% and it used the battery while stopped at lights, etc.

Worked great!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 06:58 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

With my 45e, I try to set my battery control to 30% on a trip, and then need to remember to reengage it after a stop. If you forget on the 50e, whatever charge level you have is the functional upper limit (unless say you're coming down off of a mountain!). Doing that, I tend to get about 28mpg, give or take a little depending on conditions. That was during a trip from NH to MI and back (a bit over 2K miles) with the engine barely over the initial break-in...I'll see what I get next week, but that trip is only from NH NY and back.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 06:12 AM   #6
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

On the 45e (not sure about the 50e), if you put your destination in the car's nav, the car will reserve some battery for the portion of the trip that's expected to be in-town stop and go driving.
      09-27-2023, 10:12 AM   #7
e61it
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 545it

If destination entered to save juice for in-town destination do you use hybrid drive mode at all times without battery hold on?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 10:38 AM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e61it View Post
If destination entered to save juice for in-town destination do you use hybrid drive mode at all times without battery hold on?
You can, but the main reason I try to keep some battery capacity on a long trip is to ensure I can precondition the vehicle during a stop or overnight for the next morning if I can't plug it in to recharge at my destination.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 07:31 AM   #9
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by e61it View Post
In theory, Adaptive mode is supposed to do a better job than Hybrid of optimizing for the route, including using battery for in city driving. In practice, I'm not sure I see much of a difference between the two.
      09-29-2023, 07:52 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickObe View Post
In theory, Adaptive mode is supposed to do a better job than Hybrid of optimizing for the route, including using battery for in city driving. In practice, I'm not sure I see much of a difference between the two.
same experience.

the lack of difference likely explains why BMW completely removed Adaptive drive mode in the 50e
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
same experience.

the lack of difference likely explains why BMW completely removed Adaptive drive mode in the 50e
There is still a form of Adaptive in the 50e, but it's not a button like the 45e.

On the boost meter, there's an "Adaptive" section (which is below the 0 line, so it's charging via regenerative braking when in the Adaptive zone).

I've noticed as I've driven it more, and the car learns my routes, it's already putting the brakes on lightly to reclaim some energy, or if I'm on a downhill stretch of road, it will try to benefit from that.

It's definitely a more automatic Adaptive mode compared to the 45e. Or perhaps they just use the word Adaptive because it's appropriate, and it has nothing to do with a driving mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 08:20 AM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
There is still a form of Adaptive in the 50e, but it's not a button like the 45e.

On the boost meter, there's an "Adaptive" section (which is below the 0 line, so it's charging via regenerative braking when in the Adaptive zone).

I've noticed as I've driven it more, and the car learns my routes, it's already putting the brakes on lightly to reclaim some energy, or if I'm on a downhill stretch of road, it will try to benefit from that.

It's definitely a more automatic Adaptive mode compared to the 45e. Or perhaps they just use the word Adaptive because it's appropriate, and it has nothing to do with a driving mode?
I think the latter.

when the 50e first came out, we asked owners to use a voice command to activate Adaptive drive mode as can be done for other modes, but nothing happened
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 08:24 AM   #13
RetSurfer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post

Is that the brakes?
It feels more like downshifting...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 08:53 AM   #14
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Question/comment regarding Adaptive Mode & Battery Control -- I use adaptive on longer trips when the native navigation is active. It seems to parcel out the battery energy strategically so that the charge meter is virtually zero when I reach the destination. I take it on faith that it's more energy efficient, though I can't say it's been noticeable.

In this mode, "Adaptive" is displayed on the driver console. On my last long drive I wanted to reserve preconditioning power so I set battery control to 30%. When I did that, the display indicator changed to "Battery Control." It made me wonder, did that deactivate adaptive mode and switch me to standard hybrid mode? Are the battery control and adaptive modes mutually exclusive?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 09:35 AM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
Question/comment regarding Adaptive Mode & Battery Control — I use adaptive on longer trips when the native navigation is active. It seems to parcel out the battery energy strategically so that the charge meter is virtually zero when I reach the destination. I take it on faith that it's more energy efficient, though I can't say it's been noticeable.

In this mode, "Adaptive" is displayed on the driver console. On my last long drive I wanted to reserve preconditioning power so I set battery control to 30%. When I did that, the display indicator changed to "Battery Control." It made me wonder, did that deactivate adaptive mode and switch me to standard hybrid mode? Are the battery control and adaptive modes mutually exclusive?
Battery Control is its own “drive mode” which is a hybrid-type mode. when it’s activated, it replaces whatever drive mode you were in. it has to, because its function has a specific purpose. any anticipation or adaptation in conjunction with the BMW Navi goes out the window
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 02:32 PM   #16
Gene Horr
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
I take it on faith that it's more energy efficient, though I can't say it's been noticeable.

It is. In terms of energy efficiency the following is the order from best to worse.

1) Energy never wasted in the first place by braking.
2) Energy recovered from regenerative braking.
3) Energy from the power grid (yes, even with all the losses the end result appears to be less energy used than straight from the ICE. It is nowhere near as a dramatic as some try to claim, but there is an advantage.)
4) Energy straight from the ICE.
5) Running the ICE to charge the battery.

By arriving with minimal charge the computer is trying to optimize stage 2/3. If you don't use the battery at all you are down at stage 4. If you use the ICE to recharge the battery, well, words fail me. Yeah, it seemed like an interesting gimmick when BMW first came out with that feature but in reality it is such a bad idea overall that it is no surprise that it was elminated this year.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 03:06 PM   #17
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

Hi

Great post, to be honest as a new 50e owner I am currently working out what’s best, I am struggling, it feels as if the 50e was made for shorter commutes, but I know it’s not, it’s about balance.
Running around town is done in electric, which is great, and better for everyone, but on the motorway I want to hold the charge, for the urban thing.
I trying to learn!
Appreciate 0