BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
center001
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 x40i

Dent on hood - Need advice on repair Options

I have this dent (presumably from a golf ball) and am looking for advice on what to do. I just had my windshield replaced 2 weeks ago so now getting this dent I am just beside myself. Anyway I went to the Paintless Dent Repair place today and they said there was no access under the hood to fix it. If there is he couldn't find it nor could I.

I had them try the glue pull method (I watched) and it would not budge. He said the dent is too deep and with it being aluminum the metal is probably stretched where a more invasive PDR (drill access hole) may leave a ripple anyway. I have been quoted $850 for traditional dent repair where they will remove the paint, somehow remove the dent using a weld to pull(?), smooth and then repaint. That seems like a fair price, but just not sure what the best fix is.

That said, does this appear to be something that could be fixed via PDR...if I found a different PDR tech? The guy who tried this morning seemed to know what he was doing and was really worried he would make things worse..so I'm not sure what to do. He said just about anywhere else on the hood would have been doable. It is a leased vehicle so not sure if that matters. I'm in the Twin Cities, MN so am open to recommendations.

P.S. I also realize this post may be better suited in another topic, but this one seems to have the most traffic. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

make an identical dent on the other side to make it more balance :P .. i would try another shop. if PDR cant do anything, its not going to be cheap to repair the traditional way.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

A really good PDR tech with patience can massage that out but if there isn't one in your area you're looking at $1600-1800 in paintwork. At that point have them paint reflectors, rear reflectors, and front bumper delete all baked into the hood quote.
Appreciate 1
FCX52383.50
      06-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #4
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

I have no experience with this, but I'm sorry it happened to you, that sucks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
make an identical dent on the other side to make it more balance :P
(。^‿^。)

can't go wrong with dimples!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

So sorry that happened to you! Bothered me enough to go out to my car and take a car. So he's right, under the hood its basically a double layer of aluminum with a hollow in between so its hard to get to. Had a crazy idea. Someone who knows what they are doing could drill an access hole from the bottom the engine side through the first layer, and insert something to pop the dent back up. No one will be looking for a hole there when you return the lease. Heck you could put a rubber grommet in there if the hole is big enough.
Attached Images

Last edited by darksilkx1; 06-17-2021 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
maher116.00
      06-18-2021, 04:52 AM   #7
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
drill an access hole from the bottom the engine side through the first layer, and insert something to pop the dent back up. No one will be looking for a hole there when you return the lease. Heck you could put a rubber grommet in there if the hole is big enough.
This is a great idea. Definitely the best way forward IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
So sorry that happened to you! Bothered me enough to go out to my car and take a car. So he's right, under the hood its basically a double layer of aluminum with a hollow in between so its hard to get to. Had a crazy idea. Someone who knows what they are doing could drill an access hole from the bottom the engine side through the first layer, and insert something to pop the dent back up. No one will be looking for a hole there when you return the lease. Heck you could put a rubber grommet in there if the hole is big enough.
+1 a good PDR tech will do just this, so long as it will not require more than 1 access hole in the area which will diminish the integrity of the hood in that area.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #9
center001
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 x40i

Thanks all for suggestions (and sympathy).

After talking with 4 different PDR techs only one was willing to cut an access hole. Estimates ranging from $200-$375. Even the guy who was willing to drill said it was 50/50 it would come out (without oil canning). The general consensus is that if you need to drill a hole, PDR isn't the best option. If they could have guaranteed they could get it out with a hole I would have tried but in the end I just don't want to have to risk paying twice.

Anyway it appears (for me anyway) that traditional dent repair is my only option. And fortunately/unfortunately the only one that will guarantee an exact paint match is the BMW Certified Collision center...which is slightly more expensive than the other collision place I went. In the end it will cost $1050 to get this fixed which sucks, but what are you gonna do.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by center001 View Post
Thanks all for suggestions (and sympathy).

After talking with 4 different PDR techs only one was willing to cut an access hole. Estimates ranging from $200-$375. Even the guy who was willing to drill said it was 50/50 it would come out (without oil canning). The general consensus is that if you need to drill a hole, PDR isn't the best option. If they could have guaranteed they could get it out with a hole I would have tried but in the end I just don't want to have to risk paying twice.

Anyway it appears (for me anyway) that traditional dent repair is my only option. And fortunately/unfortunately the only one that will guarantee an exact paint match is the BMW Certified Collision center...which is slightly more expensive than the other collision place I went. In the end it will cost $1050 to get this fixed which sucks, but what are you gonna do.
Look at the bright side. At least you didn't spend $1000 to PPF that hood and have to spend another $1000 to reapply lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
I have this dent (presumably from a golf ball) and am looking for advice on what to do. I just had my windshield replaced 2 weeks ago so now getting this dent I am just beside myself. Anyway I went to the Paintless Dent Repair place today and they said there was no access under the hood to fix it. If there is he couldn't find it nor could I.

I had them try the glue pull method (I watched) and it would not budge. He said the dent is too deep and with it being aluminum the metal is probably stretched where a more invasive PDR (drill access hole) may leave a ripple anyway. I have been quoted $850 for traditional dent repair where they will remove the paint, somehow remove the dent using a weld to pull(?), smooth and then repaint. That seems like a fair price, but just not sure what the best fix is.

That said, does this appear to be something that could be fixed via PDR...if I found a different PDR tech? The guy who tried this morning seemed to know what he was doing and was really worried he would make things worse..so I'm not sure what to do. He said just about anywhere else on the hood would have been doable. It is a leased vehicle so not sure if that matters. I'm in the Twin Cities, MN so am open to recommendations.

P.S. I also realize this post may be better suited in another topic, but this one seems to have the most traffic. Thanks in advance.
I have something smaller but in the same location and was told the same. The good news is because there's no sensors or disassembly, a direct pay body shop with no insurance involved would likely hook it up for around $750. My rear bumper was 1400 to repaint, not replace.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #12
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
In the end it will cost $1050 to get this fixed which sucks, but what are you gonna do.
At that price I am guessing it is hood only and no blend into surrounding areas. Confirm that they will guarantee paint match including the metallic fleck because it is very difficulty to panel paint a metallic color and not have it be noticeable. You may want to scour LQK or the like for a factory hood that isn't damage. You may get out cheaper and not have to worry about paint meter readings or a ding on the CF report. If you wind up going the PPF route after this then you have to wait about three months before you apply anything and I would avoid any waxes/sealants as well.
Appreciate 0