BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

05-02-2024, 09:27 PM   #1
LMBE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Replacing PS Reservoir

Anyone have any issues getting the return hose onto the bottom of a new power steering reservoir? I can't for the life of me get it on there it is ridiculously tight. Any suggestions would be great, thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 02:09 PM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

did you try yelling the F word louder while pushing so hard that you sliced your hand on something sharp in the engine bay?

Yes, that hose is a royal pain because it gets hard over time and shrinks.

You have two main options when the existing hose will not slide onto the new reservoir fitting.

1. Replace the hose = P/N 32412283894

2. There are several types of hand tools that can go by various names, such as hose spreaders, tubing/pipe expanders, expansion heads, or a swage. The basic concept is to insert the tool inside the rubber hose and the tool can then expand in diameter, which helps temporarily stretch the hose's inside diameter so you can get it over the fitting.

3. Edit: also, you do have enough slack in that hose to cut off an inch to reveal a cleaner, less hard portion of the hose. Just be aware that it has a steel mesh braiding in it, so making a clean cut isnt the easiest. Sometimes you can have better luck that way than trying to use the mangled original end where the hose clamp was installed.

Fitting my 2010 M3 hose with 100k miles onto my new Bimmerworld PS reservior was a super difficult, but I was able to get it on good enough.

Last edited by MineralWhiteF80; 05-08-2024 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:27 PM   #3
LMBE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
did you try yelling the F word louder while pushing so hard that you sliced your hand on something sharp in the engine bay?

Yes, that hose is a royal pain because it gets hard over time and shrinks.

You have two main options when the existing hose will not slide onto the new reservoir fitting.

1. Replace the hose = P/N 32412283894

2. There are several types of hand tools that can go by various names, such as hose spreaders, tubing/pipe expanders, expansion heads, or a swage. The basic concept is to insert the tool inside the rubber hose and the tool can then expand in diameter, which helps temporarily stretch the hose's inside diameter so you can get it over the fitting.

3. Edit: also, you do have enough slack in that hose to cut off an inch to reveal a cleaner, less hard portion of the hose. Just be aware that it has a steel mesh braiding in it, so making a clean cut isnt the easiest. Sometimes you can have better luck that way than trying to use the mangled original end where the hose clamp was installed.

Fitting my 2010 M3 hose with 100k miles onto my new Bimmerworld PS reservior was a super difficult, but I was able to get it on good enough.
I definitely yelled my fair share of expletives haha and unfortunately they did me no good. With 146K on the clock my hose was cooked but I did get it on enough (about halfway) for the hose clamp to properly secure the hose onto the fitting. With that said after all of that effort I think I'm going to leave it for now as it seems fine but I greatly appreciate you finding the part number for me should I ever need to buy that hose in the future. Thanks for your response!
Appreciate 0