BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #1
NY2SD
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e

2024 X5 50e no heat in electric mode

The climate control on the highest heat seating blows ambient temperature air no matter what settings in electric and hybrid mode. The cold AC works fine. To get the heat to blow warm air I have to put the car into e-hold mode. Then it will blast hot air from the vents. This doesn’t seem right. My wife’s Tesla blows hot air and it’s fully electric and my previous hybrid - a Porsche cayenne e-hybrid - also could deliver hot air when in full electric mode. I have gone through all the climate control settings and can’t find a fix. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 08:37 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There is a possible condition, similar to an ICE on a cold start (i.e., engine coolant not warm yet), if the battery level is too low, where it will not be able to produce heat immediately after you turn the vehicle on, but it recovers quickly thereafter.

If yours does not heat up after a short drive (it will display a message during this time), it needs to be looked at as something is wrong. If your battery is above a certain point, you normally won't see or experience that issue.

On a trip, even if your battery has been pretty much depleted, it will continue to produce heat from the resistance heater because the engine is turning the EV motor enough to keep electricity flowing.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 08:56 PM   #3
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=heater

Scroll to the bottom of the forum. There is an adjustment you can make to make center vents hotter. We live in Michigan and it blows hot air at 75 to 80s on the X5 50e when its colder than 50s outside. It feels hotter at 30 degrees outside temps then 55 degrees outside as it adjust for ambient temps but it should be hot enough regardless of which modes you use as it has the standard climate control system as in the gas version X5.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:56 PM   #4
NY2SD
Rep

I tried the adjustment to have the vents hotter to the upper body but didn't see a significant change. I should clarify that the air coming out of the vents when the climate is set to Hi is about 75 degrees when outside temp is 50-70 degrees. I tried changing the settings of the electric mode individual and turned all the eco pro items off and that seems marginally better. But after changing to Sport mode and engaging the ICE engine the heat comes out MUCH hotter. I am thinking that my 2023 Tesla model 3 and my 2019 Porsche Cayenne e-hybrid have heat pumps and the 2024 X5 50e may not have a heat pump. That could explain why the heat in electric mode is "weak." Can someone verify if this is correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 10:19 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2SD View Post
I tried the adjustment to have the vents hotter to the upper body but didn't see a significant change. I should clarify that the air coming out of the vents when the climate is set to Hi is about 75 degrees when outside temp is 50-70 degrees. I tried changing the settings of the electric mode individual and turned all the eco pro items off and that seems marginally better. But after changing to Sport mode and engaging the ICE engine the heat comes out MUCH hotter. I am thinking that my 2023 Tesla model 3 and my 2019 Porsche Cayenne e-hybrid have heat pumps and the 2024 X5 50e may not have a heat pump. That could explain why the heat in electric mode is "weak." Can someone verify if this is correct?
the 50e does not have a heat pump. it uses a resistance heater. while i have its predecessor the 45e, heating is not an issue in Electric mode which i drive in 100% of the time during my work week. it's 40 degrees F here, and my HVAC is set to AUTO 72 degrees with LIGHT fan speed.

maybe turn off the A/C setting? when winter peaks, i turn it off and have to set my thermostat even lower to 69 degrees so as not to overheat (i don't wear a coat while driving). note that even with A/C off, the system will turn it on intermittently if the interior sensors feel the need to dehumidify the air.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 06:48 AM   #6
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Book an appointment with the service department.

I had the 45e, and now a 50e, and both instantly blew more hot air than our country's politicians.

Like, it's instant because electric heats up much faster than an ICE coming to operating temperature.

The heat in the 50e only uses the electric heater; it does not rely on residual engine heat.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 11:18 AM   #7
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
But after changing to Sport mode and engaging the ICE engine the heat comes out MUCH hotter.
Does the Sport mode help even when the ICE is cold, ie. immediately when you start the ICE in the morning? Or only after a few minutes, when the ICE has warmed up some?
Appreciate 1
NY2SD3.00
      11-14-2023, 02:42 PM   #8
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I agree that the 50e in electric (or hybrid but driving with electric motor) is much faster to warm up the cabin on a cold morning than my old 2019 X5 40i with ICE heating only. It also consistently keeps my cabin warm as I drive in electric or with the ICE.
Appreciate 1
NY2SD3.00
      11-14-2023, 03:28 PM   #9
NY2SD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Does the Sport mode help even when the ICE is cold, ie. immediately when you start the ICE in the morning? Or only after a few minutes, when the ICE has warmed up some?
Heats up very quickly in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 03:31 PM   #10
NY2SD
Rep

Thanks everyone. Going to take it in for service. Will reply with a follow up.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 02:52 PM   #11
NY2SD
Rep

Took it in for service. The service advisor said they have to replace the auxiliary heater. I’m in San Diego mostly so not too big a deal but was considering some trips to snow this winter. Service advisor said there is no ETA on the part which concerns me. Only drove this new X5 50e off the lot one week ago. Any idea where this part might be coming from?
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2058.00
      11-16-2023, 03:05 PM   #12
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Took it in for service. The service advisor said they have to replace the auxiliary heater. I’m in San Diego mostly so not too big a deal but was considering some trips to snow this winter. Service advisor said there is no ETA on the part which concerns me. Only drove this new X5 50e off the lot one week ago. Any idea where this part might be coming from?
Wow, thanks for the update. My 45e also has weak heater as well. I am in SF Bay, so I will need it a little more than you do. I first notice this issue taking a trip to Tahoe. Wife are I were OK because of heated seat, but son in child seat on 2nd row (isolated form heated seat), can never get wrong enough. I will give BMW a call to see if I have an aux heater issue as well.
      11-16-2023, 03:11 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Spare parts are stocked by their 'popularity', IOW, how often historically they've been needed to repair something, and how critical it is for safety, if it should fail. If it hasn't been called for much, it might have to come from Germany, or maybe direct from the vendor.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 08:12 AM   #14
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Spare parts are stocked by their 'popularity', IOW, how often historically they've been needed to repair something, and how critical it is for safety, if it should fail. If it hasn't been called for much, it might have to come from Germany, or maybe direct from the vendor.
That's an interesting point because when the infamous N20 engine in my daughter's X3 blew up a few years ago, my small local BMW dealer had a replacement engine in stock. That seemed unbelievable, especially since the Service Advisor assured me that "this doesn't happen very often", which had to be an outright lie.