BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-31-2022, 03:18 PM   #1
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Comfort access settings

I was surprised to learn that when you set the comfort access settings in iDrive 7 that it is not key/profile specific. For example, I don't like the car to unlock as I approach. I'd rather touch the door handle to initiate all that. My wife likes that feature to unlock and set her settings as she approaches the car. Alas, not possible unless I'm just missing something.

When I set it to not unlock on approach, it also get itself in to a weird mode where it didn't change the seat and mirrors to my wife's vs. my settings. It wasn't until we switched it back to activate on approach that it started working properly again.

Am I missing something or is this "works as designed."
Appreciate 1
rulppa0.00
      09-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Since posting this I'm been experimenting and perusing the owner's manual. I can't find anywhere in the manuals where it lists what is configurable by driver profile and what items are set regardless of profile.

Another one is the seat massagers. I changed the default mode and now regardless of which profile is used it uses that default setting for both the driver and the passenger seats.

There's surely more items and it would be handy to know which are profile specific and which apply regardless of profile.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
[…]Am I missing something or is this "works as designed."
I haven't seen a published list as to what is saved per driver profile. definitely would be nice, but our Comfort Access options are driver profile-specific. i enabled unlock on approach on my profile; it doesn't do this with my wife's. she likes the traditional hands-on lock/unlock

have you double checked your settings that you synced profile with specific fob?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 08:16 PM   #4
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Yes you have to make sure that, key #1 is far enough away. And in the idrive youve activated the key that is hers key #2 to the profile after shes logged in.

I have also done a pin incase both keys are in the car and we are swapping on a long road trip or what not.

Hope this helps. Also not sure what you mean by massage profile to default? What profile setting do you mean? Like muscles its targeting?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 08:17 PM   #5
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This how I have it set up as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I haven't seen a published list as to what is saved per driver profile. definitely would be nice, but our Comfort Access options are driver profile-specific. i enabled unlock on approach on my profile; it doesn't do this with my wife's. she likes the traditional hands-on lock/unlock

have you double checked your settings that you synced profile with specific fob?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 08:34 AM   #6
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

I spoke to a Genius yesterday to informed me that no such list exists for what is stored by profile vs for the car across all profiles. The justification is that things change over time so they suggested I just poke around in there and figure it out for myself.

The problem with that approach is that it's my wife's daily driver and while she's still getting accustomed to how this car works (vs. her 2013 X5) it bugs her when I change things and it affects her interface with the car.

Yeah, I know, not exactly 3rd world problems but I do think it's an example of how the iDrive engineers aren't really thinking this through in terms of human interface design. These kinds of things bug me more because I spent most of my software engineering career developing human interface solutions to complex systems and clearly the automotive industry has a problem in general and maybe the Germans in particular where engineers are typically 95% right but 100% certain.

In an effort to respond to customers who want every little thing configurable they manage to mostly solve those concerns at the expense of simplicity and the understanding of the casual users. They'd be well served by hiring some Apple user interface people to help design these things.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

No dude I can post a video 100% my wife has lock on walk away and I do not have it enabled and it locks when her key walks away BUT not when I walk away.

Let me test it on the unlock side. You have to MAKE SURE that your wife has her own profile on the Idrive and has her key bound to the profile, and yours is bound to yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:37 AM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I spoke to a Genius yesterday to informed me that no such list exists for what is stored by profile vs for the car across all profiles. The justification is that things change over time so they suggested I just poke around in there and figure it out for myself.

The problem with that approach is that it's my wife's daily driver and while she's still getting accustomed to how this car works (vs. her 2013 X5) it bugs her when I change things and it affects her interface with the car.

Yeah, I know, not exactly 3rd world problems but I do think it's an example of how the iDrive engineers aren't really thinking this through in terms of human interface design. These kinds of things bug me more because I spent most of my software engineering career developing human interface solutions to complex systems and clearly the automotive industry has a problem in general and maybe the Germans in particular where engineers are typically 95% right but 100% certain.

In an effort to respond to customers who want every little thing configurable they manage to mostly solve those concerns at the expense of simplicity and the understanding of the casual users. They'd be well served by hiring some Apple user interface people to help design these things.
it still sounds like your key fobs aren't synced to their respective MyBMW driver accounts. did you know that certain features in your driver profile are shared between BMWs, such as ambient lighting, radio presets, and HUD settings? i drive the X5, and my wife drives the 540i. the way you have things set up, changing settings would wreak havoc not only in one vehicle but in both, but because I've set it up properly, I can make frequent changes on my end, and none of them affect my wife's driving experience whether she's driving my X5 or her 540i.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #9
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Also if all else fails you can also just remove ConnectedDrive Sync and then none of the above of what nZ said will apply. Also something else to try!!
Appreciate 0