BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #1
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d, G05 40d

Hello all,

Hoping for some help and advice. I picked up a brand new X5 on the 7th March and at the weekend just gone (31st July) whilst washing it I noticed that the front lower grill next to the radar sensor (?) was damaged. This got me very confused as I've had no bumps, bangs or even close shaves and there is zero damage to any surrounding paintwork etc so I I think I can rule out a piece of road debris like a rock or large stone (and I think I'd hear that kind of impact tbh).

So, I did a bit of investigating and looked through the various photos I have taken of it since purchase and it turns out the damage can be traced as far back as the 26th March, annoyingly I have no photos front on prior to this so I cannot go any further back.

With this in mind I suspect the damage was already there when I collected it. I am kicking myself now that I didn't do a more thorough job of checking the car over but due to covid it was all rather hastily done and I was in and out quite quickly.

I would appreciate some guidance on what others would do (if anything) in my situation and if there is anything in reality I can do in terms of contacting the dealership and discussing it with the ideal outcome of them fixing it?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

One would think that damage would have been noticed during PDI if it was there prior to delivery but I guess it could have been missed. Very unlikely that the dealer will take responsibility for it but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure you would like it fixed either way so might as well contact them and see where it goes and what it may cost you. Good luck and let us know.
      08-04-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
williamwu
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Did you personally collect this vehicle from dealer's lot or was it shipped to you somehow?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 08:51 PM   #4
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

Four months have passed. Highly doubt the dealer will do anything about it except provide you a repair cost estimate to fix.

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 09:29 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Not sure exactly which model with which options you have but in general, a quick search of REALOEM followed by a part number search found this.. .. I'm surprised how inexpensive it is to be honest, probably more of a pain to replace it but if your dealer says no, it won't cost much to replace the broken part. I didn't see a 40d on REALOEM so I picked 30d but it probably depends more on what options are on yours. Can be much different in the UK

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:47 AM   #6
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
One would think that damage would have been noticed during PDI if it was there prior to delivery but I guess it could have been missed. Very unlikely that the dealer will take responsibility for it but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure you would like it fixed either way so might as well contact them and see where it goes and what it may cost you. Good luck and let us know.
Thanks TurtleBoy, appreciate the response. You have pretty much summed up my thoughts on it also, I would have liked to think it would be picked up on the checks and as I have no photos of it to check when it was still at the dealer there is no way for me to prove otherwise.

I'll speak to the dealer and see how it goes, the sales guy who dealt with me was a nice chap so you never know but probably not ultimately his decision.

I'll let you know how I get on as one way or another I'll want to get it fixed!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:52 AM   #7
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwu View Post
Did you personally collect this vehicle from dealer's lot or was it shipped to you somehow?
Hi William, I did yes, picked up direct from dealer in person which probably doesn't help my case in all honesty.

So frustrated the one photo I took of it there was too much from the side and you can't get a view of the damaged area to check
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:53 AM   #8
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaTe View Post
Four months have passed. Highly doubt the dealer will do anything about it except provide you a repair cost estimate to fix.
Hi JaTe,

I'm inclined to agree but I figure I may as well ask the question and see how they handle it anyway, you never know.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:58 AM   #9
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Not sure exactly which model with which options you have but in general, a quick search of REALOEM followed by a part number search found this.. .. I'm surprised how inexpensive it is to be honest, probably more of a pain to replace it but if your dealer says no, it won't cost much to replace the broken part. I didn't see a 40d on REALOEM so I picked 30d but it probably depends more on what options are on yours. Can be much different in the UK

Hi Marty,

Thank you for this response, very useful and I did not expect it to be this inexpensive either actually. I suspect the fitting will be the tricky part but I have a brother who is quite savvy with stuff like this so I might look at this route depending on what the dealer says.

I'll see if I can find what options are available here in the uk as like you say, they can differ quite a lot. At a glance though, the grill you have located appears to be an exact match to what I have, clearly I'll do the relevant checks to ensure whatever I find is going to fit though if I go down this route.

Thanks again bud.
Appreciate 1