BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-30-2024, 02:36 AM   #1
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus

Ventilated Seats...Again

I originally posted this as a reply but thought it might be helpful for those who are on the fence about the option, so I'm starting a new thread here.

Found a set of pictures which claimed to add factory ventilated seats using OEM parts onto the LCI model.

The white pads should be the 'air-permeable middle layer' mentioned in this post. It looks like these pads are installed at the bottom layer of the seats, and then the fans pull the air onto the pads to distribute the heat evenly.

These pads look like nothing more than a special type of fabric, which IMO shouldn't impact the firmness of the seats. Also, considering they are at the bottom of the actual cushion/foam.

Looking at the inside of the seats, I think the key determining factor is the cushion. If BMW uses a firmer foam for the ventilated seats, then the seats should be firmer for sure; otherwise, the ventilated vs. non-ventilated seats should feel very similar, if not exactly the same.

But all in all this is still a very subjective thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
1230vani660.00
six393.00
TREKER100.50
LuckyBrand1431.00
BSfmAZ100.50
JoeAyalaM168.00
      04-30-2024, 09:25 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I agree...I think that the firmness of the climate/massaging seats is due to the cushion (#3 & #4 in the diagram). The cushion is firmer if the seat is optioned with climate/massage vs not having either of those features. You can see all of the various part nbrs for the upper & lower cushions based on how the seat is optioned...none of them are the same.

BTW, great pic of the (white) ventilation pads ( #9 & #10 in the diagram)

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 4
matowi326.00
LuckyBrand1431.00
JoeAyalaM168.00
      04-30-2024, 10:31 AM   #3
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

[QUOTE=letsgopony;31112838]I originally posted this as a reply but thought it might be helpful for those who are on the fence about the option, so I'm starting a new thread here.

[QUOTE=Qsilver7;31113464]I agree...I think that the firmness of the climate/massaging seats is due to the cushion (#3 & #4 in the diagram). The cushion is firmer if the seat is optioned with climate/massage vs not having either of those features. You can see all of the various part nbrs for the upper & lower cushions based on how the seat is optioned...none of them are the same.

Great stuff guys and thanks for posting. I think this can absolutely help others that are looking into this subject as it does come up quite often.
      04-30-2024, 11:16 AM   #4
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

FWIW I came from a 17 4Runner that had relatively soft seats. I would say the seats themselves were comfortable but the lack of adjustments made them uncomfortable.

I find my X5 to be very comfortable. The seats are the right level of firm and forgiving and all the adjustments mean I can always find a spot that works for my bad back.

I've had an S1-L5 fusion and have "severe degenerative disk disease" between L4 and L3 that has a lot of bone on bone now.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 01:08 PM   #5
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I agree...I think that the firmness of the climate/massaging seats is due to the cushion (#3 & #4 in the diagram). The cushion is firmer if the seat is optioned with climate/massage vs not having either of those features. You can see all of the various part nbrs for the upper & lower cushions based on how the seat is optioned...none of them are the same.

BTW, great pic of the (white) ventilation pads ( #9 & #10 in the diagram)

The guy in this video screenshot is upgrading the seat to ventilated seat. He is drilling holes in the cushion and he said 'For non-ventilated seats, the holes are there but just halfway through,' so he is just drilling the holes through. Not sure how accurate it is as there are very few resources on the upgrade.

I imagine the differences in the cushion can affect the firmness as well as the presence of holes. The non-ventilated seats have a softer cushion and holes halfway through, while the ventilated seats have a firmer cushion and completely drilled holes to let air pass through.

In terms of feeling, the non-ventilated seats might feel like a 3-inch medium mattress topper, while the ventilated seats are like a 3-inch firm mattress topper with some holes on it.

I don't have a side-by-side comparison but I guess I might not feel the difference. Maybe I just have a dull ass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1431.00
      04-30-2024, 01:11 PM   #6
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
FWIW I came from a 17 4Runner that had relatively soft seats. I would say the seats themselves were comfortable but the lack of adjustments made them uncomfortable.

I find my X5 to be very comfortable. The seats are the right level of firm and forgiving and all the adjustments mean I can always find a spot that works for my bad back.

I've had an S1-L5 fusion and have "severe degenerative disk disease" between L4 and L3 that has a lot of bone on bone now.
Do you have ventilated seats in your X5?

Sorry to hear you have lower back issue! I had a lower back injury last year and it was a disaster to get in/out of my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 02:15 PM   #7
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I have massage and ventilated seats in my X5 and they are very comfortable.....more so than in my Cayenne. I use massage mostly on trips and while subtle, they are effective. The most useful option I have is Driving Assistant Professional. After a 8 or 9 hour day of freeway driving I feel much more relaxed and less stressed when using highway assist. We do take a fair number of road trips.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 03:34 PM   #8
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Is this retrofit the same as what comes on the X5, or could they be better?

I'm firmly in the camp that the included option is the worst seat ventilation I've ever had in a vehicle.
      04-30-2024, 04:14 PM   #9
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
Is this retrofit the same as what comes on the X5, or could they be better?

I'm firmly in the camp that the included option is the worst seat ventilation I've ever had in a vehicle.
At least they said it's the OEM parts onto the OEM sockets.

You don't like it because the ventilation is not working as expected (not blowing out cold air), or because the seat is not comfortable?

...or both?
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 05:45 PM   #10
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Ventilated seat in my 2019 X3 M40i were kidney busters, day and night compared to the 2023 X5MC
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:28 PM   #11
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

This picture looks like what's in this post.

Not sure if it's for the old models, or if the fans blow or pull air, but it looks more concerning to me because you actually sit on the fans, which is more likely to be less comfortable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:55 PM   #12
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopony View Post
At least they said it's the OEM parts onto the OEM sockets.

You don't like it because the ventilation is not working as expected (not blowing out cold air), or because the seat is not comfortable?

...or both?
Extremely poor movement of air. With 3 speeds, even the highest setting is barely perceptible. The last 3 Grand Cherokees I had did better with 2 speed fans. But 3 speeds should have something for everyone.

Seat comfort is OK. I never use the massage function, but it's there.
      04-30-2024, 09:55 PM   #13
Cityman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Garage List
Still worth it.
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2024, 09:59 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

My bottom line, on a longer trip, I stay dry. It helps from arriving damp. Now, that may be a difference based on your local weather, how you enter the vehicle, and how long you’re in the vehicle…to me, they’re worth it.

With the huge amount of adjustments on the comforts seats, it can taker some time to find your ideal settings…thanks for the memory setting if you have to share it with someone else!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:59 AM   #15
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
My bottom line, on a longer trip, I stay dry. It helps from arriving damp. Now, that may be a difference based on your local weather, how you enter the vehicle, and how long you’re in the vehicle…to me, they’re worth it.

With the huge amount of adjustments on the comforts seats, it can taker some time to find your ideal settings…thanks for the memory setting if you have to share it with someone else!
After going through other threads about ventilated seats, people seem more concerned about whether the ventilation makes the seats firmer and less comfortable rather than if it efficiently circulates air.

Do you find the seats uncomfortable in any way?
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2024, 03:25 PM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:

The longest duration single day in my 2021 X5 45e was about 12-hours, and a bit over 600-miles, mostly on interstates, with a stop for fuel and a couple of rest breaks…I was not overly stiff nor was I sore when I arrived at my destination.

German seats tend to be a bit stiffer than some others which requires more careful shaping. Softer ones that may give an initial impression of comfort often have foam that degrades faster and may not be as comfortable on a longer trip. At least that’s my experience. Of the vehicles I’ve owned over the years, I will say that a Citroen ID19 from 1971 had the most comfortable seats. Some of that was that they just seemed to fit me really well like a comfortable shoe, and the available ergonomics…Citroens of that design had the clutch, brake pedal, and gas pedal all exactly at the same level when not being pressed, so when needing to use a pedal or move your foot from the gas to the brake, it was just a simple rotation as opposed to having to lift to a different height that is on many designs…it was a neat vehicle. That kept rotation of your hips and lower back down when needing to move or use a different pedal that over time can become uncomfortable.
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2024, 10:11 AM   #17
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Do you have ventilated seats in your X5?

Sorry to hear you have lower back issue! I had a lower back injury last year and it was a disaster to get in/out of my car.
Yes.

Thanks for the empathy. I have good days and bad days. Luckily, even on the bad days I'm still mobile. It just hurts. My baseline is probably a 3 on the 1-10 pain scale you see at the doc offices. So you just kinda get used to dealing with it. I'm getting injections on the 10th which I'm hoping gives me about 6 months of reprieve.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 03:46 PM   #18
cptcolo
2023 X5 45e Owner
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 45e M Sport

Quote:

No, I find them very comfortable overall. I have ventilated sensafin seats on my '23 X5 45e, they are very comfortable. I have done a 850mile road trip from AZ to CO multiple times with no issues at all.

For the Porsche 911 992.1 the ventilated seat option does make them noticeably firmer, but I'd say that is not the case here.

The ventilation does work too (some will say it does nothing). It is true is not be the best, but it does do something and I am glad I got the option and would get it again. Most ventilated seats from other manufactures (Jeep Grand Cherokee (best), Jeep Wagoneer, Ford F-150, even Porsche 911) have been better in my experience
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2024, 05:34 PM   #19
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

Another interesting picture from inside the massage seat - it uses these airbags as the massaging unit. I thought they used the traditional rotating units or rollers (whatever you call them).

Turns out these airbags are also placed at the bottom of the seat and back, which shouldn't take up too much space for the cushion. The conclusion remains the same: the cushion is the key determining factor for whether the seats are soft or firm, while the ventilation and massage mechanism shouldn't impact that much.

If you are on the fence about the ventilated and/or massage options like me, I hope this thread gives you more insight and confidence regarding the seat comfort.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1431.00
      05-02-2024, 07:32 PM   #20
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Another interesting picture from inside the massage seat - it uses these airbags as the massaging unit. I thought they used the traditional rotating units or rollers (whatever you call them).

Turns out these airbags are also placed at the bottom of the seat and back, which shouldn't take up too much space for the cushion. The conclusion remains the same: the cushion is the key determining factor for whether the seats are soft or firm, while the ventilation and massage mechanism shouldn't impact that much.

If you are on the fence about the ventilated and/or massage options like me, I hope this thread gives you more insight and confidence regarding the seat comfort.
This really is a great informative thread on this subject. Not sure I've seen another one as detailed on it.
      05-03-2024, 07:48 AM   #21
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:

Do you have a link to the videos you're getting these from, I'd like to watch them
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 02:45 PM   #22
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Do you have a link to the videos you're getting these from, I'd like to watch them
Link

Not in English but doesn't matter. They are adding ventilation to the factory massaging seat.
Appreciate 0