BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2022, 05:47 PM   #133
XxChiliPalmerxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6 M50i

I wish I would have known my X5 had a wire harness built in.. LOL. I bought the Curtis Bluetooth controller, and have been happy with it. I am expecting the X6 M50i with the brake package built in, so will look for the built in brake controller wiring.
2023 X6 M50i - Race Chip GTS Black
2024 Porsche Macan S
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 06:00 PM   #134
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

In the USA, prewiring for the brake controller (and the lighting control) is only there with the OEM towing option. Some other markets either get, or can order that, but unlike on earlier versions, not on the current model.

That only becomes important if you have a trailer weighing more than about 1500# (see your manual) that has electric brakes requiring a controller to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 05:33 AM   #135
P3dr0
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 30D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5034 View Post
Just wanted to add some information on my install. The brake controller I double side taped to a flat surface above the pedals and cover on the drivers side.

The pin out of the connection is as follows:

Brown = Ground
Blue = To trailers brakes
Red w/stripe = +12v battery
Black w/stripe = 12v brake light trigger (this is a smaller wire) hard to see in picture

Essentially how your controller works, is it is powered by the red (+) and brown (-) wires. When the controller sees the brake light trigger, then it applies power through the blue wire to the trailer light connector.

This is the model i'm using. I routed the little knob controller, to the storage compartment next to the drivers left knee.
https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...ake-controller

This is great info and i'm just about to do this to my X3, did you have to do anything in the boot?, my x3 already has a towbar so i'll need to check if the wiring is already done for the electric brakes in the connector.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 10:07 PM   #136
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Nothing in the boot for the X5. Not sure on an X3.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 12:21 AM   #137
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

With the towing package, BMW puts the wiring in from the hitch's electrical connector up to the front so you don't need to run that wiring...you just need to plug in the controller, and figure out where to mount it. It would have been nice if they had a package engineered to plug directly in with a planned mounting location but they don't or haven't. They don't sell a controller either.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 11:41 PM   #138
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Does anyone have an extra CONNECTOR and PINS ?????? I will for PAY , parts, shipping, +

I tried multiple sources, same answer: The connector is coming from Porsche and will take time.

I have to move a trailer by next weekend and got the Tekonsha wiring harness but the pin sequence is wrong
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 12:06 AM   #139
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you have an electronic store around, pick up an extraction tool, remove the needed pins from the connector, and put them where they need to be.

If you can solder, you could cut the wires, and move them, too. Some shrink tubing would be better than tape if you solder.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:46 AM   #140
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If you have an electronic store around, pick up an extraction tool, remove the needed pins from the connector, and put them where they need to be.

If you can solder, you could cut the wires, and move them, too. Some shrink tubing would be better than tape if you solder.
Thanks

I just placed an order on Amazon for pin extraction tool, hopefully it will work

My main concern in cutting the wires and re-connect/ solder is the wire thickness.

The +12v power wire and trailer brake wire is thicker than ground and car brake wire. I want to maintain the ability to charge the RV trailer batteries while plugged in. I feel like using a thinner wire will make the wires overheat. Could this be the case???
*** See attached photo ***

Once I have everything worked out, I will add photos to help others

Is the pin out connection correct on on this post? Post #54 on this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5034 View Post
Just wanted to add some information on my install. The brake controller I double side taped to a flat surface above the pedals and cover on the drivers side.

The pin out of the connection is as follows:

Brown = Ground
Black w/stripe = 12v brake light trigger (this is a smaller wire) hard to see in picture

Essentially how your controller works, is it is powered by the red (+) and brown (-) wires. When the controller sees the brake light trigger, then it applies power through the blue wire to the trailer light connector.

This is the model i'm using. I routed the little knob controller, to the storage compartment next to the drivers left knee.
https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...ake-controller

Info:
2023 BMW X5 45e with tow package
RV 2022 Airstream Bambi 22FB

Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 2 Braking Modes - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional
Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers - BMW
from etrailer.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #141
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wire gauge differences do make a difference, so yes, probably not a great idea to cut to correct the order.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:37 AM   #142
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Just read all 7 pages of the thread. I am lucky enough to have the OEM tow package. If pulling a trailer with brakes I need to do the following correct?

1. Fish out the harness under the steering wheel
2. Order a male coupling from Porsche or another source
3. Buy a redarc brake controller, extract the wires and switch them around according to pinout
4. Mount controller somewhere and call it a day.

Is the BMW pretty good at managing the brakes using the controller pretty good.

It is so surprising BMW sells you something at build and then doesn't provide a plug and play controller after. It's like this is a way to get out of a warranty claim or preventing people from pulling and making one rather :/

P.S - Do I need to activate 'Trailer Mode' in the iDrive when pulling?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #143
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e28 M5, e34 540 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekay View Post
If pulling a trailer with brakes I need to do the following correct?
Just a couple of points of clarification:

- If you pull a trailer above a certain weight, for example 1500 lbs in California, you are required to have trailer brakes. Below that weight threshold (in CA), use of trailer brakes is not required.

- If you pull a trailer with surge brakes (most small boat trailers) then an electronic brake controller is not used.

- If you pull a trailer with with electric brakes above the specified weight requirement (for your State or vehicle) then yes, you will need an electronic brake controller.
Appreciate 1
mikekay103.50
      09-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #144
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekay View Post
Just read all 7 pages of the thread. I am lucky enough to have the OEM tow package. If pulling a trailer with brakes I need to do the following correct?

1. Fish out the harness under the steering wheel
2. Order a male coupling from Porsche or another source
3. Buy a redarc brake controller, extract the wires and switch them around according to pinout
4. Mount controller somewhere and call it a day.

Is the BMW pretty good at managing the brakes using the controller pretty good.

It is so surprising BMW sells you something at build and then doesn't provide a plug and play controller after. It's like this is a way to get out of a warranty claim or preventing people from pulling and making one rather :/

P.S - Do I need to activate 'Trailer Mode' in the iDrive when pulling?
Yes, you are correct with the steps you have listed. The Tekonsha wire hardness has the incorrect pin sequence. You can pull out pins and re-wire.
However, is better, easier and cheaper to buy the BMW / Porsche connector + pins and wire to Redarc controller following the BMW pin sequence.

I will take some photos when installing mine. Connectors and pins are due mid October.

Trailer mode is automatically activated when 7-pin / 4-pin connector is plugged in.

Also reading BMW manual, for weight distribution hitch setup you can disable automatic leveling suspension to adjust the WDH and then turn back on
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2022, 03:22 PM   #145
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

All electronic brake controllers need to be calibrated to the weight, orientation, and brake sensitivity. Once that is done, unless your tires wear or age significantly, OR the weight of the trailer changes, you don't normally need to adjust it. With the OEM towing package, the stability logic will (or should!) detect the advent of trailer sway and automatically brake, but it's a good idea to have the manual brake button readily available.

If you only tow one trailer, I'd consider the Autowbrake controller...it goes in the trailer rather than in the vehicle, but it costs more. https://getautowbrake.com/

If you keep the trailer, and move to a new vehicle, it's already in the trailer so you don't have to install one in the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
mikekay103.50
      10-05-2022, 11:52 AM   #146
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e28 M5, e34 540 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Power View Post
Does anyone have an extra CONNECTOR and PINS ?????? I will for PAY , parts, shipping, + I tried multiple sources, same answer: The connector is coming from Porsche and will take time. I have to move a trailer by next weekend and got the Tekonsha wiring harness but the pin sequence is wrong
You probably have your connection done by now, but FYI for anyone that comes along later.

I was in your position 15 years ago. Needed to tow a trailer and couldn't find a mating BMW connector. So I implemented a "$2, 2-minute temporary fix" late in the night. I cut off the BMW connector used standard inline push pins (available from any hardware or electrical supply)

I tucked the temporary connectors up behind the lower dash cover and used the connector on the back of the brake controller to install and remove the controller. But you could easily disconnect at the push pin if you wanted to. Moral of the story, since you have to change the order of the wires anyways, you can use any type of mating connector you want simply by cutting off the BMW factory connector.

Like everyone else I would have preferred to have the correct matching connector, but the quick fix worked fine for the next 15 years I owned that X5!
Attached Images

Last edited by nordring; 10-05-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 10:36 PM   #147
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^Thanks, that’s another way of doing it, I just didn’t want to cut the car connector. Also, is somewhat hard to work there due to awkward position

So far I haven’t received the mating connector and pins from ECS (due mid October), but I will be using a wireless trailer brake controller to get the trailer moved
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #148
outsidepls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Power View Post
^Thanks, that’s another way of doing it, I just didn’t want to cut the car connector. Also, is somewhat hard to work there due to awkward position

So far I haven’t received the mating connector and pins from ECS (due mid October), but I will be using a wireless trailer brake controller to get the trailer moved
Any chance you received it yet? I'm in a similar situation with my 2023 X5 45E and an Airstream Basecamp 20X. I only recently realized I didn't have a brake controller, whoops (I haven't taken the trailer out yet so at least I realized it first).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #149
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The least expensive option is to wire one in, but there are at least three others, two wireless, and one self-contained that can provide the electronic braking so you don't need to do anything in the vehicle at all. Curt and Tekonsha make wireless controllers that just plug in, then you need to calibrate them to the weight of the trailer. AutowBrake gets wired into the trailer's wiring, and becomes passive if it detects a different brake controller feeding the trailer. The advantage there is it will work with any tow vehicle, whether they have an electronic brake controller, or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #150
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidepls View Post
Any chance you received it yet? I'm in a similar situation with my 2023 X5 45E and an Airstream Basecamp 20X. I only recently realized I didn't have a brake controller, whoops (I haven't taken the trailer out yet so at least I realized it first).
Yes, I did receive the BMW connector and pins from ECS, took photos for each step and tested the brake controller (without trailer using a 12V 21W brake light as explained by Redarc, also you can always buy a 7-pin tester if you need to test but don’t have a trailer available)

I will post tonight all the pictures. The hardest part was plugging (male to female) in the connector as there is little room, no joking … it took me a good 15 minute. The 2nd part was where to mount the main Redarc controller.

Last month I had to use Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller and it worked well, but I prefer wired for simplicity and peace of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 09:42 PM   #151
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm adding this post and photos to help others who want to go with wired trailer brake controller (g05 X5 with towing package)

Some summary from previous posts:

The pin out of the connection from BMW connector is as follows:

Brown = Ground
Black w/stripe = 12v brake light trigger

your brake controller connector must match the same sequence (post #54 on this thread)

I got my matching BMW pin housing and pins from ECS but you can get from other websites (pelican porsche parts). The pin housing is shared with porsche cars.

Pin housing:
Mfg Part #
ECS Part #
ES#1512776

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/99965275840/

Circular Contact 1.0mm-2.5mm:
Mfg Part #

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...m/61131376193/

Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 2 Braking Modes - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...c/RED44FR.html

I used Scotch double tape Velcro (stuff that holds the I-pass on windshield) and positioned the controller horizontal. There is limited flat space to mount the controller. I used the same tape for knob controller.

Since my trailer is in storage, I followed Redarc's method of testing the brake controller. I used an old car bulb 12V 21W.
Also, there are 7-pin tester on etrailer.com if you want something already made.

https://www.redarc.com.au/how-to-test-tow-pro

Attached Images

Last edited by Di3s3l_Power; 11-08-2022 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 09:50 PM   #152
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Curt Echo wireless (phone Bluetooth) worked well, the issue is the device is not powerful (amps rated) enough to charge trailer (RV) battery

Another option is trailer mounted brake controller like
Tekonsha 902502 Prodigy RF , if you have enough space. In my case the weight distribution bracket was on the way
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 09:49 PM   #153
benrobert
Registered
Rep
Drives: ford

The setting must be in accordance with the size of the load and the trailer. To ensure that the trailer can slow down or stop safely and smoothly, this is done. For various autos, different settings are needed. The size of the load continues to have an impact on the parameters. However, the starting position that was advised for the trailer brake controller was "6."
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 04:39 PM   #154
marcelji
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 40i

Redarc diode

Di3s3l_Power Thanks for the detailed pics on the Redarc install.

Did you you need to install the Redarc diode?
(https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us...ed-power-diode)

After installing my Redarc Tow-Pro Elite I'm receiving a center brake light malfunction warning on my car. I believe pressing the manual override button of the Redarc is causing the brake lights to backfeed the system. Just wondering if you ran into this problem. I believe the diode was designed to fix this problem, but installing the diode would require knowing where the center mount height stop light (CMHSL) wire is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0