BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi, Bmw, Porsche

Comparing '21 X5M to M50i ... HELP!

I've been on/off my X5/X7 hunt for a while and cycled between looking for a xdrive40i vs m50i on both.

Except ...

A great spec 2021 X5M came up that I"m seriously considering. It's out of state, and I haven't driven an X5M yet (and never believed a short test drive can convey everything I got to know anyways).

I love the interior upgrades on it, the few exterior differences and have never owned a proper 'M' car yet. It just feels that much more special and exciting vs. all the other options, for either not much more money or same in some cases (ballpark of X7 m50i pricing).

To those that bought an X5M after another version of the X5 (or compared them in depth) - are there really big tradeoffs in the daily driveability between that and M50i?

Some reviews point that 'm50i is all the car you need and does the same job but better'...to others noting that X5m just feels completely different period. Which one is it? Looking at the used car market, the two aren't that far apart in price any more, especially if I'm considering a '20 or '21 X5m.

Anyone get an X5M and regret it? This will be my primary family hauler, including road trips (I know gas mileage ain't the best).

I like how much more rare these are on the road vs. other more 'vanilla' X5 versions.

I'm in PHOENIX where the roads definitely are on the smoother side. I generally like cars on the firmer side (HATE air suspension on many).

Another side note is that I am primarily 'work from home' - and don't commute much outside of 'fun drives' - grocery store, kiddos drop offs, meet up with friends, etc. Occasional road trip with fam. If I was doing a work commute, X5M would be out of the question for many reasons (gas mileage, comfort, etc). I don't mind sacrificing a BIT of comfort for more day-to-day excitability if that makes sense.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by socialpro1; 04-18-2023 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 02:50 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

The only "downside" of the X5M is ride quality is stiff. Since you live in a state with good roads than this is a non issue. X5M>M50i

I take my X5M on family road trips all the time without any issues. I can even milk 22mpg on the highway with it on those long drives.
      04-18-2023, 03:04 PM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1764995 >>> Full Thread.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=127 >>> Cliff's Notes.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1893241 >>> Entertainment.
Appreciate 3
jphcbpa314.50
Oldgixxer1914.00
      04-18-2023, 03:26 PM   #4
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
The only "downside" of the X5M is ride quality is stiff. Since you live in a state with good roads than this is a non issue. X5M>M50i

I take my X5M on family road trips all the time without any issues. I can even milk 22mpg on the highway with it on those long drives.
Thanks for the feedback!

Awesome reading material, will look through all.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      04-18-2023, 04:45 PM   #5
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
What do you drive now? I find a lot of the harsh/stiff ride opinions are relative.

I was on the fence for the same reasons and I’m coming from an x3m 2020 having previously owned a ‘13 M5, ‘11 M3

I found the X5M to be what I’d describe as “plush” in comparison in comfort mode, but able to buckle down in sport plus.

It was very controlled, and not intrusive in comparison to other rides.

Take a test drive, or just go for it. Can always add MSS urban springs or KW to soften it up
      04-18-2023, 05:05 PM   #6
X5/40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro1 View Post
I've been on/off my X5/X7 hunt for a while and cycled between looking for a xdrive40i vs m50i on both.

Except ...

A great spec 2021 X5M came up that I"m seriously considering. It's out of state, and I haven't driven an X5M yet (and never believed a short test drive can convey everything I got to know anyways).

I love the interior upgrades on it, the few exterior differences and have never owned a proper 'M' car yet. It just feels that much more special and exciting vs. all the other options, for either not much more money or same in some cases (ballpark of X7 m50i pricing).

To those that bought an X5M after another version of the X5 (or compared them in depth) - are there really big tradeoffs in the daily driveability between that and M50i?

Some reviews point that 'm50i is all the car you need and does the same job but better'...to others noting that X5m just feels completely different period. Which one is it? Looking at the used car market, the two aren't that far apart in price any more, especially if I'm considering a '20 or '21 X5m.

Anyone get an X5M and regret it? This will be my primary family hauler, including road trips (I know gas mileage ain't the best).

I like how much more rare these are on the road vs. other more 'vanilla' X5 versions.

I'm in PHOENIX where the roads definitely are on the smoother side. I generally like cars on the firmer side (HATE air suspension on many).

Another side note is that I am primarily 'work from home' - and don't commute much outside of 'fun drives' - grocery store, kiddos drop offs, meet up with friends, etc. Occasional road trip with fam. If I was doing a work commute, X5M would be out of the question for many reasons (gas mileage, comfort, etc). I don't mind sacrificing a BIT of comfort for more day-to-day excitability if that makes sense.

Thanks for all the input.

Good day,

I currently ,y have a 23 M50, ride is pretty well compared to the x5 which is stiffer, I drove my neighbors x5 and didn’t like so much, I guess living in Florida which my commute is mostly city the x5 is very hard, also the transmission is more aggressive whereas the m50 is more smooth but sport rocks amazing when stepping on gas, both are amazing suvs, If the x5m suspension were not to stiff it be better, but everybody have different opinions. Even the seats on the m50 are comfy than the x5m, I have the new sensafin material.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 06:11 PM   #7
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Own a 2022 X5MC. Buddy owns 2021 M50.

His next ride will be a X5MC.

Depends on your goals.

M50 is cushy and sorta fast. Nice inside. Looks good.

X5MC is killer sporty. Very fast. Not as cushy. MUCH MUCH better handling. Killer looks.

If you want a HotRod suv , buy the X5MC.

If you want a BMW , Lexus soft, suv, buy the M50

Both great rides.
Appreciate 3
      04-19-2023, 04:19 AM   #8
AUSX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5m

There isn’t a comparison, but the x5m if you can afford it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 06:22 AM   #9
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro1 View Post
(and never believed a short test drive can convey everything I got to know anyways).
I knew before the end of the block that the full M was a totally different beast.

We had a 19 X5 40i with M sport package. Really enjoyed it but never loved it. We use ours upstate NY on weekends so it’s mostly fun drives (lots of good mountain roads) and that’s where the non-M really falls flat. Power was not an issue for us with the 40i, but put it on a fun road and it feels heavy and soft.

When the end of our lease was in sight we planned to move up to M50 and drove a few but was always underwhelmed. They just felt like our 40i with a bigger engine (which makes sense…). Didn’t feel special.

The M is totally different. It’s tight and has a personality. First time I drove it upstate was a blast. Even when not pushing, you know it’s something special.

In terms of ride quality, it’s stiff not harsh. Make sure your PSI is always right as that can really impact ride (to say nothing if tire wear). Neither the roads upstate or in and around NYC are anywhere near smooth and it’s fine. We also take a few road trips with it a year between 5 and 11 and although not as coddling as our 40i, it’s still a great way to travel.

MPG isn’t bad either if you aren’t driving like a fool, so long highway trips should be fine.

All to say, no, I never regretted. And neither has my partener, who doesn’t love cars and is never is excited to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 07:05 AM   #10
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSX5M View Post
There isn’t a comparison,
Exactly. They're all an X5/X6. Why would someone else's opinion have any bearing on one's purchase? Different horses for different courses. Purchase what makes sense to you. Done.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 07:41 AM   #11
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks gang - lining up a '22 X6M to test drive tomorrow will follow up with impressions and feedback.

I'm no stranger to tighter/stiffer cars but want to see if it makes sense in the X5M, especially to be used as a daily - as long as it's not punishing.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #12
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

The straight line performance is pretty similar, a few tenth difference in most metrics, only being more noticeable at the top end. Both are reasonably quick and feel very torquey. The X5M handles better, brakes better, looks better, has a bit more upscale interior (full leather only comes on the X5M), and it feels more special, but both are nice. The difference is subtle. It’s a bit stiff but very manageable on smooth roads, although the 50i is definitely going to be more of a comfort pick while only giving up a little in the performance aspect, which you’d probably only appreciate on a track. The 50i does sound better, though, due to smaller, less-obstructive turbos.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 01:47 PM   #13
Ken6096
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95 2022

Having own both 50i and now currently X5MC . Have to say they are totally different. Especially, with all sport plus in manual shift , the speed is so so different, both are fast though but X5MC just feel lot faster for me. In term of performance , look and quality , i think X5MC is much better, more special.

Riding comfort and quality, have to say for long trip , 50i just more relax and less stress. Not too stiff and yes it has the feeling of luxury car. Have to say for long trip, 50i is way to go and better for daily drive. Guess what , my X5MC is alway in garage and use only 1-2 day a week while most my daily is Toyota Camry which trade from Mini JCW because the tire broken every month from suck pothole in chicago. 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 03:21 PM   #14
Scottdip
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

What about spending $1250 and bumping the power to 707 with this Carbahn tune. No warranty left but you get a fast car and the comfort of M50I.

https://carbahn.com/product/cbg0x-00...ne-model-n63b/
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 03:41 PM   #15
gonelaxin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 ZCP

When getting out of our 2017 cayenne gts, my wife drove the M50i. Felt it didn’t stand out at all. She saw x5m comp in donnington and the rest is history. We both find the ride compliant and enjoyable and long trips with the kids.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
keg97166.50
      04-19-2023, 08:55 PM   #16
MIA_F80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Yas Marina

I have never met anyone that got an x5m and regretted not getting an x5 M5i.. lol. I’ll just say that. And to compare any non-M to its “equivalent” M car is just insulting. Once you drive any M, you understand the price premium. It’s not just pure speed, it’s the entire package.
I love my x5mc, we go on family road trips often. Just came back from a 600 mile road trip and 11 month baby and wife were sleeping for hours, wife loves it and finds it super comfortable.
      04-20-2023, 07:32 AM   #17
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

If you drive the M50i, you will find it to be a great anf fast car, because it is.
Each car has their pros and cons and you have to remember that a lot of opinions are subjective.

My best advice is try to drive an X5 M so that YOU can tell the difference between a FULL M car an a performance M car.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 04:11 PM   #18
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep

Guys found a local X6M to drive today (a 2023) -- and overall it went exactly as expected and described on these forums.

----------------------------------------------------

It wasn't in any way un-driveable - but the busy-ness of the ride along with the stiffness started to wear me down on a brief 10 minute ride. I'm not sure if after the 10 minutes I wanted to keep going or was happy I wrapped it up.

Given the fact that this is gonna be my primary family hauler / grocery getter / road trip car the entire time I kept asking myself what's the reason for subjecting myself to the 'discomfort' on the daily? She will never see the track .. or much enthusiast driving (roads are very flat and straight by where I live in PHX), so handling capabilities outside of turning are out of the question as well.

The car was 'fast' but you can feel the weight of it all around. Does it give much in terms of straight line performance over the 50i? Possibly but not sure if I can feel that from butt dyno. Transmission / engine pairing is superb. The grunt was there, and sounds awesome overall, if maybe still a bit subdued. Still nowhere the kick in the gut some electric cars give you.

I do in most instances enjoy a firmer rather then a floaty ride - but not sure if the 'M' dials that up another notch or two past that (as some reviewers mentioned even in 'comfort' setting you are still looking for a way to set the car in 'comfort' mode).

The seats themselves also gave me pause as well as they were considerably snugger and tighter then I'd potentially want on my day-to-days (seat cushion bolster was a bit too narrow). Are the seat cushion bolsters adjustable at all? Where are those controls?

I STILL did enjoy the overall package as the car does feel more special in many ways over M50i - aggressive bumpers, unique colors, gorgeously appointed interiors, different interior bits, many things that just scream 'M'.

And let's be real -- you can't ultimately have a full pros/cons list until you own something for a month or two (ten minutes of driving is not enough to form a full opinion) - so take my brief review for what it is.

The money factor is not fully in question for me either considering I'm shopping pre-owned (but all else equal it's around $20K or more then a comparable 50i). I just don't know if I can see past the involved, busy ride for a day-to-day car for me.

This particular drive left me more confused post test drive then prior to (not uncommon for me). Almost like I have to be 'in the mood' to take this M out, not an overly easy 'yes' to just jump in and go everyday type of ride for me. Would this M be my first choice of ride for a 500 mile road trip? Doubt it.

Don't think it was instant love overall. **Haven't fully ruled it out but giving it more thought.**

Last edited by socialpro1; 04-20-2023 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7265.50
Denk1006.00
      04-23-2023, 05:26 PM   #19
sgarrity
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

I read some of these reviews and think we must be driving a different car. My '22 X5MC has an amazing ride. I came from a '13 X3 35i MSport and a '18 440i MSport convertible. My X5MC feels like riding on a cloud compared to those two. A few months after getting it I did a road trip from CA to OK....that thing just ate up the highway. Super comfortable and so much fun on the open road.
Appreciate 1
DG-X5168.00
      04-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #20
dnd2984
Rep
Drives: Merc C63, F95, and XC90.

Went from a 2020 X5 40i to 2023 X5M. Different animal. The ride is just fine. I ended up selling my AMG coupe and X5. X5M has the power and handling that can defy physics!
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 08:33 PM   #21
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

Owned a 22 M50i and now a 23 X5MC. The ride on my M50i with DHP and 21s was nearly the same as the X5MC, harsh at times over bad pavement, but overall they both ride well on most surfaces. The driving dynamics are completely different, other than similar engine power. Night and day, the M50i feels like a regular X5 with more power, the X5MC is a beast. Outside of price delta, I wouldn't ever choose the M50i over the X5MC.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 04:12 PM   #22
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I took the X6M (2021) on an extended test drive today, covering over 50+ miles over various terrains , pavements, highway, busy city streets etc.

In the end concluded this car is just not for me.

I LOVED the interior / exterior M bits all over. Handling was great, it corners like cars half its size.

I can definitely see how there is a buyer for this class / involvement of car but overall I found the ride to be terribly busy (even in comfort mode), the road noise quite loud (especially over rough highway pavement) - but even more so noisy on smooth surfaces doing 40mph.

The whole car feels rather heavy, and the seats far from comfortable, especially for an everyday ride. The car felt 'quick' but in many ways felt rather heavy carrying that mass around. I could not picture this being an enjoyable highway ride for me for any road trips with the family.

I had an extended time with a xdrive40i some time ago, and for a daily driver still would take that ride any day over x6m. I can also see myself in a m50i but now wondering if the HP is worth the weight increase that the engine brings.

Just my .2c, and definitely happy I had a chance to do extended seat time prior to making up my mind.

Last edited by socialpro1; 04-25-2023 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7265.50