BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #1
chelscato
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2019 BMW X5 - Sunroof Leaking and Transfer Case

Brought my X5 into the shop yesterday which has 45K miles and turns out I need to replace the transfer case. My advisor has submitted a claim through my warranty coverage so hoping it's covered.

This other is issue, my passenger seat floor area collects water any time it rains from a leak right above the the sun visor. Apparently, the seal bad around the sunroof and needs to be fixed, so I've been quoted $2K which is mostly labor.

Has anyone had this happen and were you able to get it covered through the 3rd Party Warranty coverage? My advisor said, no - but don't really trust him because he's already made a few mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 04:51 AM   #2
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelscato View Post
Brought my X5 into the shop yesterday which has 45K miles and turns out I need to replace the transfer case. My advisor has submitted a claim through my warranty coverage so hoping it's covered.

This other is issue, my passenger seat floor area collects water any time it rains from a leak right above the the sun visor. Apparently, the seal bad around the sunroof and needs to be fixed, so I've been quoted $2K which is mostly labor.

Has anyone had this happen and were you able to get it covered through the 3rd Party Warranty coverage? My advisor said, no - but don't really trust him because he's already made a few mistakes.
Are you speaking for X5M F95...and what symptoms is transfer case showing to you for change ?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 10:58 AM   #3
chelscato
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The steering wheel would make a weird noise when I turned on car and the steering seemed very off whenever I'd make turns at low speeds.

Thankfully my warranty is covering it - it's a $7K expense.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 11:03 AM   #4
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Just to clarify- your BMW factory 4 yr warranty has run out but your third party warranty has agreed to cover the transfer case issue. But you’re not sure whether this third party warranty will cover the sunroof too?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 05:54 AM   #5
JimmyZ06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

Garage List
I'd highly recommend changing the transfer case fluid before you do a new case. This happened to my 2017 and they tried to sell me a new transfer case too. Dealer reluctantly change the fluid at 37890 miles and it's perfectly fine ever since.

2022 Marina Bay Blue X5M Competition

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
PacShakur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelscato View Post

Are you in the correct sub forum?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 09:29 AM   #7
X5MGuy
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Sunroof leak destroyed my F85. Came down the driver side and destroyed the electronics. Nothing would turn on and insurance had to total it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 11:31 PM   #8
OP
SLS
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

When you open the front door you see a small Ruber outlet sticking out between the hinges, try to stick something in to it and clean it.
I open the skylight and start pouring the water into water trap while my friend helping me to clean the drain in the door.
Flooded 2 times.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 06:14 AM   #9
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Looks like I have a leaky sunroof, as well.

After all the rain we had this past Friday, I got caught in the early morning down pour. After about an hour and a half of being outdoors, noticed the water starting to drip though the microphone above the driver seat. The alacantara roof in that area was soaked, but the drip was small and not frequent. About 2 mins passed between each drip. Seems the alacantara absorbed most of the leak like a sponge.

2022 X6M (F96) with just over 11k miles. Usually garage kept.

Anyone experience any electrical issues I should anticipate? Any preventative measures I can take to avoid this happening again?
      10-01-2023, 09:25 PM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Ugh that sucks. Do you have your sunroof open alot? Based on others it seems like the front drains on your sun roof is clogged. Believe it or not the sunroof is meant to have water come in but follow on a track to the drain tubes on the front and rear of the sunroof. I suggest checking the front drains on the sunroof to see if anything is blocking it and also check the area where it comes out. There is a thread about this and the opening is on the front door hinge area. Its awkwardly shaped so it can clog easily.
      10-01-2023, 10:40 PM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I just checked my sunroof tracks where the water would go and it’s filthy. I almost never open my sunroof and there is just a ton of black dust/gunk up there. Almost looks like dried up grease which could slow the water draining or even clog the hole up front. Going to spend some time cleaning up there which isn’t the easiest since there isn’t a lot room.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 04:15 AM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check to see if there's some sort of obstruction in those drainage channels.

To answer your question, I rarely, if ever open the sunroof. It's even rare for me to slide the shade cover back on my cars. There never really is a reason for me to do so, since when driving at night, I prefer the interior ambient lighting over the street lights, and during the day I like the tinted windows to keep a low profile in and around town, whereas opening the sunroof and or shade would alow so much light in, negating the ambiguity the tinted windows provide, lol.

I just hope no electrical issues arise after this. My car always seems like a solidly well built unit... until Friday.
      10-02-2023, 09:29 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Old video but the process should be the same for our cars. going to get some trimmer line and follow these steps as preventative maintenance. I'm just shocked as a person that almost never opens the sunroof there is still a ton of gunk up there.