BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

New STI Looking... Better?

Autoblog has new spy shots of the next STI nearly undisguised. While I respect the STI, I have zero desire to own one. This just cements that feeling.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

wow quad exhaust on a boxer... fuel's the ricer in us all...

looks like they are taking styling cues from mazda...

Quote:
While I respect the STI, I have zero desire to own one. This just cements that feeling.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I’m not a big fan of hatches, but I think it looks good with the very aggressive fender flares. I bet you can stuff some wide tires under there. Personally, I would like to have a sedan option, but I don’t make those decisions. The bottom line is that it will probably be a real performer, especially since it’s supposed to be lighter than the previous model. We’ll see how it performs. And, yes, I am cross shopping the 135i and the new STI. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

God, I just cant stand the front. I'm sure it will be a spectacular performer though.
      09-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
God, I just cant stand the front. I'm sure it will be a spectacular performer though.
I think the front's the best part, especially when viewed head on! I'm not too fond of the rear. I'll reserve final judgement until it's fully unmasked and I can view it in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Looks like sh|t, drives like mad. Yep, it's an STI
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 03:14 AM   #7
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Looks better than I expected, which isn't saying too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Wow. Look at those flares!

After playing to the mainstream with the 'regular' WRX, it looks like Subaru has given enthusiasts a consolation prize.

I'll bet it's faster than the new (heavier) Evo, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
OniKoroshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 535i

I like the rear, its the front of the car thats killing it. Namely that hideous grill and headlights.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My only complaint is how "long" it looks in the straight sideways view. No fixing that though with the overhang due to the boxer engine + awd.

When I had only seen the WRX, i had completely ruled out the STi. Now, I'm cross shopping that and the 135i. Performance will decide.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

It might look longer, but isn't the 5-door shorter than the previous WRX?

Anyway, these threads are funny, because it's clear that some of us are really on the fence. I'd wager to say that a chosen few will end up in Subarus, when it's all said and done... especially if BMW decides to jack up the price of the 1-series.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
It might look longer, but isn't the 5-door shorter than the previous WRX?

Anyway, these threads are funny, because it's clear that some of us are really on the fence. I'd wager to say that a chosen few will end up in Subarus, when it's all said and done... especially if BMW decides to jack up the price of the 1-series.
Vin, I'm all over the fence right now. EVO, STI, 135i...ahh. Whats keeping me on the 1coupe side is the sleeper notion. The STI will be at least 34-35k. When you buy an EVO or STI you look like your asking for trouble. In a 135i, you can pass off as another person in another little bimmer until you bury your foot in the accelerator.
      09-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #14
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Whats keeping me on the 1coupe side is the sleeper notion. The STI will be at least 34-35k. When you buy an EVO or STI you look like your asking for trouble. In a 135i, you can pass off as another person in another little bimmer until you bury your foot in the accelerator.
+1 umptygazillionmillion - the sleeper quotient on this car should be fairly high (initially at least ; -). Once the word gets out though, all bets are off!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #15
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I think the new STI will be even more of a sleeper. There's some negative feelings towards BMWs in some circles; any BMW. They're very distinctive, no matter which kidney grille is pointed your way. Like it or not, they attract attention, many times of the negative variety.

Flares or no flares, as long as the rear wing on the STI doesn't end up being like the WRC car, that thing will be invisible in some colors. Like frumpy gray. Or can you imagine an "old man beige" STI? INVISIBLE, I tell ya!

I have an interesting (sorta) parallel. I park in a downtown surface lot, and have a monthly parking pass. Occasionally, my wife will take my car and forget to move over the pass, or I'll forget to move the pass back when we switch again. Sometimes I'll end up in the lot without a pass, and if the guy checking the lot isn't a regular (knows my car) then I'll get a ticket. Here's the fines I have been assessed in the last few years:
1. Lexus: $75
2. Land Rover: $125
3. Volkswagen: $35
4. Subaru: $35

Sad, but true...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #16
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I think the new STI will be even more of a sleeper. There's some negative feelings towards BMWs in some circles; any BMW. They're very distinctive, no matter which kidney grille is pointed your way. Like it or not, they attract attention, many times of the negative variety.
I was thinking the same thing. And add to the 135i's M Aerodynamic kit, and the "sleep" factor of the 135i will be limited to only a few colors.
      09-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I think past STi's were more of a sleeper than this. Maybe the hatch will add to that effect, but those fender flares attract attention. The front view is extremely aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Looks awful, but hey that's what makes the world go round.

Lips
      09-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #19
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
They're very distinctive, no matter which kidney grille is pointed your way. Like it or not, they attract attention, many times of the negative variety.

Flares or no flares, as long as the rear wing on the STI doesn't end up being like the WRC car, that thing will be invisible in some colors. Like frumpy gray. Or can you imagine an "old man beige" STI? INVISIBLE, I tell ya!
I absolutely disagree with you. In a parking lot, a 1-Series in black/grey/white/silver will blend right in. Maybe it's the part of the world I live in, but BMWs never get a second glance around here unless it's a 6-Series or Z4. Most 1ers will be ordered in boring colors, and although the car looks crisp and muscular, it doesn't scream for attention.

An STI on the other hand (except for 2007's Limited) screams "boy racer" from the rooftops. The new one will be no exception. STIs also catch plenty of unwanted attention from sport compact baby gangstas.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #20
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I agree. Take the STI badging off of a gray one, and you have a subdued look that won't escape the eyes of enthusiasts, but will fly under the radar of the general public.

No matter what you do to it, a BMW coupe is still a BMW coupe, and the 135i, looks pretty damn athletic.

ohehots2k (and 1ster), there ARE a lot of BMWs on the road, so you might be able to fade into the crowd in a 1er eventually, but it will be a *new* sight on the road for a year or two, so it will get noticed, I think - at least initially.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #21
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
I absolutely disagree with you. In a parking lot, a 1-Series in black/grey/white/silver will blend right in. Maybe it's the part of the world I live in, but BMWs never get a second glance around here unless it's a 6-Series or Z4. Most 1ers will be ordered in boring colors, and although the car looks crisp and muscular, it doesn't scream for attention.

An STI on the other hand (except for 2007's Limited) screams "boy racer" from the rooftops. The new one will be no exception. STIs also catch plenty of unwanted attention from sport compact baby gangstas.
My point was that BMWs generate negative attention because they are BMWs. I'm not talking about flying under John Q. Public's radar--who cares. I don't even think a Z8 would get you a second look from John Q Public 'round these parts. It's the ticket-givers who mercilessly ticket premium car drivers, "because they can afford it, after all."

I completely agree about the <='07 STi's. Very boyracer. Definitely attention getting. But look at that thing... In dark gray, maybe dirty black, it will be invisible. A big fat goose egged Subaru wagon. No one will even notice the flares.
Appreciate 0