09-25-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
zipsjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Exclamation 2022 X5M Competition Engine Light and Multiple Alerts

I just bought a 2022 X5M Competition with around 4k miles on it 2 weeks ago. Have put 1,000 miles on it and just ran into this issue over the weekend.

Have had alerts that have been popping up periodically that all come on at the same time which put the car into some form of limp mode. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when they pop up, sometimes 20 minutes into the drive, other times right when I start the car. Today it came on right after I pushed it real hard getting on the highway. Sometimes I drive 100 miles and no errors pop on at all.

Dealer cannot get me in with a loaner for a few weeks so I figured I'd ask here if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Errors
- Continuous driving possible: 4 wheel drive system
- Continuous driving possible: Chassis Stabilization
- Drivetrain
- Rear axle differential
- Reduced driver assistance

Thank you guys,
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 06:51 PM   #2
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

Not sure if its relevant to your case but I have seen some other guys having such issues with multiple lights etc and it was related to car battery - weak/dead battery etc.

But since you are saying it happens while you drive then maybe its something different...best thing would be to monitor voltage of battery next morning before turning car or having an ODB2 reader such as Carly would help you to see voltage and other errors related.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ that was what i was going to say. Cars could have been sitting for months without being driven at the dealer so its highly possible and those codes are consistent with those that had low battery issues.

My suggestion is get a ctek battery trickle charger to fully charge it up with the terminals under the hood

Then get a blutooth OBD2 doggle and the Bimmerlink iphone app so you can check for faults as well as battery level.

I got this and works on my X5M perfectly
https://a.co/d/e38LJRX

This is the ctek model I use
https://a.co/d/egtNN4g

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 09-25-2023 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #4
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Sounds like The battery will likely need to be changed…
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 10:08 PM   #5
X5MGuy
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Have you checked to make sure you have the correct size tires front and rear? I think there's a limit to how far off the rolling diameter can be.
Appreciate 2
GAMA946.50
Brandt51887.50
      10-02-2023, 02:46 PM   #6
zipsjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^ that was what i was going to say. Cars could have been sitting for months without being driven at the dealer so its highly possible and those codes are consistent with those that had low battery issues.

My suggestion is get a ctek battery trickle charger to fully charge it up with the terminals under the hood

Then get a blutooth OBD2 doggle and the Bimmerlink iphone app so you can check for faults as well as battery level.

I got this and works on my X5M perfectly
https://a.co/d/e38LJRX

This is the ctek model I use
https://a.co/d/egtNN4g

Alan
I went ahead with both of these and let it charge overnight. I left out a crucial detail that this car is a lemon, but was 'fixed' by BMW and now has a factory warranty covering the vehicle. The issue was a faulty throttle sensor which is what the OBD2 proved as well. I thought I'd be safe buying this with a factory warranty added on, but it doesn't seem like it. Shouldn't have tried to get a deal and should have paid full price.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 02:38 PM   #7
S2000M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Most certainly a battery issue. Could be the battery itself, an alternator or some other battery charging issue.

Had the exact same problem on an Audi Q3 last week. New battery resolved it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 05:43 PM   #8
MaximK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10- Bimmer Works Car

First things first : Run full diagnose on car with ISTA (bmw s oem diagnose/programing) software .
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 10:37 AM   #9
zipsjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximK View Post
First things first : Run full diagnose on car with ISTA (bmw s oem diagnose/programing) software .
I had to get it towed on Friday due to the throttle not working while I was driving. In the shop now so we will see what happens. Most likely will be trading this in and ordering an M3 comp. If they can fix this in a weeks then Ill keep it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:13 PM   #10
zipsjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Update: Dealer believes they have a fix in place. They replaced the gas pedal and said via text that they are "re-wiring something". Dealer said whoever did the wiring prior did some interesting stuff so this could be a nice fix. The gas pedal was replaced before so this will be a repeat of what was done prior. Going into the dealer today and will report back what exactly was done. Should be getting the car back in the coming days at the latest. Can't wait to have this thing back.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:22 PM   #11
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MGuy View Post
Have you checked to make sure you have the correct size tires front and rear? I think there's a limit to how far off the rolling diameter can be.
This got me once recently as well.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:23 PM   #12
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipsjr View Post
Update: Dealer believes they have a fix in place. They replaced the gas pedal and said via text that they are "re-wiring something". Dealer said whoever did the wiring prior did some interesting stuff so this could be a nice fix. The gas pedal was replaced before so this will be a repeat of what was done prior. Going into the dealer today and will report back what exactly was done. Should be getting the car back in the coming days at the latest. Can't wait to have this thing back.
good news hopefully.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 06:48 PM   #13
coldpotatosalad
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipsjr View Post
I just bought a 2022 X5M Competition with around 4k miles on it 2 weeks ago. Have put 1,000 miles on it and just ran into this issue over the weekend.

Have had alerts that have been popping up periodically that all come on at the same time which put the car into some form of limp mode. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when they pop up, sometimes 20 minutes into the drive, other times right when I start the car. Today it came on right after I pushed it real hard getting on the highway. Sometimes I drive 100 miles and no errors pop on at all.

Dealer cannot get me in with a loaner for a few weeks so I figured I'd ask here if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Errors
- Continuous driving possible: 4 wheel drive system
- Continuous driving possible: Chassis Stabilization
- Drivetrain
- Rear axle differential
- Reduced driver assistance

Thank you guys,
Just got my x5mc 2 weeks ago. Day 1 I had to put it in the shop for drivetrain errors that put the engine in safety mode. Turned out to be the fuel pump.

Test drove another x5mc before that. It had chassis stabilisation error. The dealer said it "was nothing"

Neither of these sounds like what's happening to you, but it's my experience so far with these codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:31 PM   #14
zipsjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Update: She's in my hands and working great. They spent 21 hours working on my car. I will be piling on the miles to ensure this fix is permanent. Man I really forgot how powerful this thing is.

I appreciate everyone's value here and hopefully I don't have to deal with this ever again.
Appreciate 1