BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2023, 09:53 AM   #23
JIMX681
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
What tire you ended up with when you upsized the sidewalls on your 22s?

Did you keep the 21 stock?
I did not. I put a set of 22's all around. Here is the link to the post about it.
Went with 275/40/22 and 325/35/22 Michelin PS4S

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1873937
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 11:28 AM   #24
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Sorry, but it still amazes me every time someone says an M car is too harsh! Lol…

I want my M car to be harsh! LOL… If I was after a comfort ride, I would have NOT gotten an M car.
Appreciate 2
JensM63.50
LuckyBrand1317.00
      11-18-2023, 11:46 AM   #25
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-M4 View Post
Sorry, but it still amazes me every time someone says an M car is too harsh! Lol…

I want my M car to be harsh! LOL… If I was after a comfort ride, I would have NOT gotten an M car.
Comfort mode is soft, can't imagine anything softer.
I like to distinguish between driving over 1 quarter vs 2
ETA: Let me clarify. Comfort mode will not distinguish between driving over 1 quarter vs 2, it is soft.

Last edited by Tejas1836; 11-18-2023 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-18-2023, 11:56 AM   #26
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
Comfort mode is soft, can't imagine anything softer.
I like to distinguish between driving over 1 quarter vs 2
👍
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 12:43 PM   #27
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Takes some getting used to. I personally love my X5MC after almost 2 years of ownership. I was never super bothered by it and I agree with others that have said if it really bothers you you should trade down to an M60i especially since its all the performance you will really need in the real world.
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-20-2023, 12:38 PM   #28
Cardona
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M Competition

It’s now been 3 more weeks and the suspension feeling has not improved a bit. I will have to definitely get MSS or something aftermarket. The harshness is just too much. If anybody can recommend springs or air suspension system, Please advise. Also some of you are incorrect saying that M suspension is coils on 4 sides. M Comp suspension comed with air on rear axle, but it is still tuned in a way that the harshness remains..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 12:58 PM   #29
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardona View Post
Also some of you are incorrect saying that M suspension is coils on 4 sides. M Comp suspension comed with air on rear axle, but it is still tuned in a way that the harshness remains..
Sorry, but you are the one who is incorrect.
Steel coil springs are used at all four corners of the suspension on the F95/96.
The F85/86 (previous generation X5M/X6M) did have air suspension in the rear, and it still had a firm ride.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
jo2134385.00
      11-20-2023, 01:03 PM   #30
Cardona
United_States
Rep

Directly from the website under “explore vehicles> x5 M Comp>

Adaptive M Suspension Professional with Active Roll Stabilization
Dynamic Damper Control with rear-axle air suspension
M Sport Differential
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #31
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Directly from the website under “explore vehicles> x5 M Comp>

Adaptive M Suspension Professional with Active Roll Stabilization
Dynamic Damper Control with rear-axle air suspension
M Sport Differential
Yes that's true, but it has been an error since the F95/96 came out for the 2020 model year.
BMW doesn't have proofreaders, so many times their information is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #32
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

When I ran 21"s (the factory winter option) as winter wheels, the ride was very chill. The 21/22 on summers is fine to be, but it is noticeably harsher than the 21 all around set-up. Maybe try that?

Last edited by bmwauug; 11-25-2023 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 05:07 PM   #33
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hi All, need your help regarding this topic...

I've purchased a 2024 X5 M Comp and the car is marvelous, but the suspension. I fully understand this is a track oriented performance vehicle, but the suspension is far from "stiff", but ultimately extremely harsh. I'm sure at this age of engineering revolution there has to be options to keep the factory 'settings' but adding a level of comfort before I start regretting my purchase and hating it. I like the chassis rigidity and non-existent body roll, but feeling my ribs crunch in every irregular surface is painful. What will be the ideal suspension solution for this without braking the bank... anti-shock springs, air suspension kit, etc.? Please assist me as the suspension is unbearable in its original configuration.

Congrats on the new X5M

1) Houston roads are pretty bad
2) Make sure your shipping blocks are not still on the struts

And just out of curiosity, which vehicle did you come from before the X5MC to find that its so intolerable ...

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2023, 09:41 PM   #34
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Congrats on the new X5M

1) Houston roads are pretty bad
2) Make sure your shipping blocks are not still on the struts

And just out of curiosity, which vehicle did you come from before the X5MC to find that its so intolerable ...
2 excellent points
      11-20-2023, 10:20 PM   #35
Cardona
United_States
Rep

I came from a 2021 X6 M50i with the Dynamic Handling Package which has the M Suspension Professional. This is the same put on the X5/X6 M Competition, which has the adaptive electronic dampers and air suspension on rear axle. Now on the M Comp, the programming ratios are way different due to the overall chasis rigidity and bracing, meaning that the performance and full M specific attributes provide a completely different driving experience. When I test drove the 2024 M Comp, I fully felt the stiffness, but didn’t consider it harsh. Surprisingly to have found out that the mosre you drive it, the less tolerant you become. I guess the excitement of owning it clouded my judgement at that time. It’s now been 2.5 months and is not getting any better. 3 weeks ago, I brought to the dealership service department and asked the engineer to make sure the plastics the plant puts on when when new vehicles are shipped were removed. They confirmed these were not on. So exhausting my options now…

The car is amazing in all its other aspects, but the suspension. Going through a mildly uneven surface and it messes your back. Even this being a track oriented vehicle, they should know most drivers need also normal commute settings for daily driving. An M Comp doesn’t mean is strictly purchased by rich individuals that just use it for the track on weekends. For example the RSQ8 or the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, don’t have these suspension issues.

I beg anyone that has previously used/purchased MSS Springs/Coils; to please let me know what they think... This company seems to be reputable and they have a kit specifically made for the X5/X6 M Comp, . Please advise if worth it!

(
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      11-21-2023, 09:17 AM   #36
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Uh yeah, MSS springs are cool. I’ve ran them on two X5MCs so far. Zero complaints. I like them because it dropped this fat minivan down while letting us still roll up fast and hard on parking spot curb stops without destroying body work (M2 not so much). I think the MSS springs are meant to be a little more comfy compared to maybe KW too. At least in a certain part of the compression. I recommend them for sure. And you can get them here from a vendor here!

Caveat tho: I prefer stiff suspension and have three M cars, two are lowered. Got an F350 that’s also pretty stiff. I think our cushiest ride is a 1986 Chevy Crew Cab with $43 worth of Amazon shocks on it.

The X5M has massaging seats. So I think the suspension should be even stiffer.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 2
Cardona29.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #37
swiego29382
Private
Rep
Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

Quote:
I came from a 2021 X6 M50i with the Dynamic Handling Package which has the M Suspension Professional. This is the same put on the X5/X6 M Competition, which has the adaptive electronic dampers and air suspension on rear axle. Now on the M Comp, the programming ratios are way different due to the overall chasis rigidity and bracing, meaning that the performance and full M specific attributes provide a completely different driving experience. When I test drove the 2024 M Comp, I fully felt the stiffness, but didn’t consider it harsh. Surprisingly to have found out that the mosre you drive it, the less tolerant you become. I guess the excitement of owning it clouded my judgement at that time. It’s now been 2.5 months and is not getting any better. 3 weeks ago, I brought to the dealership service department and asked the engineer to make sure the plastics the plant puts on when when new vehicles are shipped were removed. They confirmed these were not on. So exhausting my options now…

This is NOT my first beammer, so that’s why I’m shocked and a bit disappointed. The car is amazing in all its other aspects, but the suspension is just NOT liveable… you go through a mildly uneven surface and it messes your back. Even this being a track oriented vehicle, they should know most drivers need also normal commute settings for daily driving. An M Comp doesn’t mean is strictly purchased by rich individuals that just use it for the track on weekends. For example the RSQ8 or the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, don’t have these suspension issues.

I beg anyone that has previously [...]
Unless I was misinformed, I do not believe the 2024 X5MC has air suspension, either front nor rear.
Appreciate 1
S68 X5MC270.00
      11-21-2023, 12:34 PM   #38
S68 X5MC
DD214
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M Competition

Quote:

This is NOT my first beammer, so that’s why I’m shocked and a bit disappointed. The car is amazing in all its other aspects, but the suspension is just NOT liveable… you go through a mildly uneven surface and it messes your back. Even this being a track oriented vehicle, they should know most drivers need also normal commute settings for daily driving. An M Comp doesn’t mean is strictly purchased by rich individuals that just use it for the track on weekends. For example the RSQ8 or the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, don’t have these suspension issues.

I beg anyone that has previously used/purchased MSS Springs/Coils, to please let me know what they think... This company seems to be reputable and they have a kit specifically made for the X5/X6 M Comp, . Please advise if worth it!

(
Just sell it and get an M60 already.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2023, 09:59 AM   #39
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Quote:

The car is amazing in all its other aspects, but the suspension. Going through a mildly uneven surface and it messes your back. Even this being a track oriented vehicle, they should know most drivers need also normal commute settings for daily driving. An M Comp doesn’t mean is strictly purchased by rich individuals that just use it for the track on weekends. For example the RSQ8 or the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, don’t have these suspension issues.

I beg anyone that has previously used/purchased MSS Springs/Coils; to please let me know what they think... This company seems to be reputable [...]
It is widely known that the X5/6 MC do not have rear axle air suspension. They have steel springs on both axles.

You would absolutely feel a world of difference coming from an M50i. That is closer to a 40i than it is to an M comp.
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 2
Cardona29.50
jphcbpa314.50
      11-26-2023, 11:00 AM   #40
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Quote:

I beg anyone that has previously used/purchased MSS Springs/Coils; to please let me know what they think... This company seems to be reputable [...]
Maybe a bit of an obvious question, but can’t help asking/suggesting to either have a meet-up with another owner of a similar car in your area and do a direct back-to-back comparison, or (and) go visit a different dealer and test drive their car back to back with yours accompanied by a mechanic or their product genius to collect inputs?

My way of thinking is to eliminate potential issues with your example and, in case it performs as intended, confirm if you maybe find the overall character of the M vehicle not to your taste

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 1
Cardona29.50
      11-26-2023, 11:13 AM   #41
Cardona
United_States
Rep

matowi,

this you mention makes a lot of sense and I’m definitely doing it. 3 days ago got a 5% with lowering tire pressures to 36 PSI in the rear and 34 PSI front. Although a slight minimum improvement, I took it gladly.

I now have scheduled a service appointment with BMW mechanic at dealership service department, my intent is to have them change the damper ratios and soften the suspension by allowing more travel in the springs. Let’s see what can be done, I’ll advise on here once I have a final outcome.
On the other hand, seems like the MSS urban adjustable spring kit, is highly reviewed/recommended and it brings approximately 35-40% improvement. With this kit, correct tire pressure, and switching to all season tires with higher side wall (when the performance tires ware off in a year or so), I’ll be exactly where I want to be with the firmness level. At this point, even if there were no solutions, my decision is to keep the car and suck up the harsh suspension -as besides this- I LOVE any other aspect of the vehicle!

Thanks,

%
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 01:02 PM   #42
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
There is too much working against you besides springs and shocks, e.g. bushings, low profile tires, etc. Basically, everything that makes it an M.

Rather than attempting to "fix" the suspension and going down an expensive rabbit hole that will not provide the results you want. I would sell the vehicle and purchase a non-M version.

Previously, I owned a E70 V8 w/the dynamic sway bars and loved how flat the vehicle took turns. I replaced it w/a G06 and M package (primarily looks) after a couple of years w/an X4M40i. The G06 has more HP than the E70/V8 and handles just as well.

Last edited by omasou; 11-26-2023 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cardona29.50
      11-26-2023, 02:50 PM   #43
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M Competition

Garage List
I’m in a 22 X4M and after two years I’m really getting tired of how rough the car is. Perhaps it is even rougher than when I first got the car, if that is possible. I figured the obvious solution is just to switch to X6M but then I stumbled across this thread today. Seeing your post, sounds like there is definitely some improvement from X3M to X5M. Just wondering if you able to quantify that in more detail? Is it significantly/noticibly less harsh, or only slightly? Do passengers complain in the X3M but not in the X5M? I am constantly having to apologize to passengers for the harshness of the suspension, haha. Test-driving the X6M again before upgrading will only tell me so much if the road around the dealership is in pretty decent shape, which I think it is. Now contemplating another option mentioned in this thread, which is to consider the X6 M60i, but having loved everything else about my X4M Competition, I swore I’d never have a non-M car again, especially for the seats alone. If the seats were an option on the M60i, that might change everything in my decision process. I’m about 11 months out from lease return, hoping for some good deals by then, with recession possibly looming and a consumer that is tapping out along with “higher for longer” federal reserve policy / interest rates.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 03:13 PM   #44
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

The current X3M / X4M is definitely stiffer than the current X5M / X6M. Over on their forum you'll find lots of discussion of that topic (and also on the wider web). It's been a few years but I seem to recall the MSS springs making their first appearance over there as an attempt to civilize a ride that's brutal for anything other than a track or a glassy smooth road.

In addition to our X5M LCI, we have an OG M2. It's definitely more brittle over the same roads than the X5M. Both are considerably stiffer than our prior Audi Q7 that rode on air, even in its "dynamic" mode that was noticeably overdamped.
Appreciate 1