BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Display brightness (new?) bug from 7/2019.47 update?

I had my car updated to 7/2019.47 last week. There are a few odd bugs (e.g., the route preview backdrop always displaying even if there is no navigation route selected...used to be just blank) but I also started to feel like the display brightness was dimmer than it had been, especially if it's cloudy outside. Just checked this morning and realized that the brightness dial (in the lighting button cluster to the left of the steering wheel) does absolutely nothing now.

Does anyone with 7/2019.47 or greater have a working brightness control?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Brightness dial still works in mine after 7/2019.47 update
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

Just updated to the .53 and nope not working. I don’t even remember if it ever worked to be honest. I did have it set to be not as bright via idrive and it doesn’t make any difference. Did a reset too and it didn’t change anything.
Edit: it’s dark now so went back out to test it and it indeed works the dial will adjust the brightness

Last edited by jasrboyd; 09-17-2019 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Another test
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrboyd View Post
Just updated to the .53 and nope not working. I don’t even remember if it ever worked to be honest. I did have it set to be not as bright via idrive and it doesn’t make any difference. Did a reset too and it didn’t change anything.
Edit: it’s dark now so went back out to test it and it indeed works the dial will adjust the brightness
Hmm. Just tried after dark and it worked. Nothing during the day, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

Tlon I was messing around today in idrive and I discovered that you turn off that map preview in settings I think it’s under displays >instrument panel>map view. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
Tlon173.00
      09-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrboyd View Post
Tlon I was messing around today in idrive and I discovered that you turn off that map preview in settings I think it’s under displays >instrument panel>map view. Hope that helps.
Thanks, @jasrboyd.

Yeah, I've turned it off. I just hope they'd fix the bug, as I preferred it the old way. Previously, when I had route view turned on for the instrument cluster, the center of the instrument cluster would be completely blank until a route was set. Then, when the route was set, you'd see all the direction cards, in order from next to last, front to back. The entire center area would be filled with the cards, until you approached a turn, at which point it'd turn to map view.

Now, with route preview turned on, there is the outline of the road/grid always visible, even if you have no route selected. Additionally, the cards are not fully displayed. Sometimes it displays one card, sometimes more than one, they don't fill the center of the screen, etc.

I've solved the problem by just turning off route preview and turning on map view, but it's disappointing, since that was my preferred view for the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0