R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Huge different between the dealer looking the other way and Porsche warranting a part failure that was directly related to the aftermarket part. If you're going to make all these caveats then make it clear in your original post. Saying "Porsche also will not void your warranty running aftermarket parts" is a blanket statement that is simply isn't true.
Certain brands are much more strict.
Go try to do any mods to a Ferrari or McLaren and they will not honor anything on your car period.

Plenty of ppl running tuned BMW M cars and 911s yet have no issues getting warranty work on other non-engine related components.

The other big item is if car was tracked. Plenty of Porsche owners go to track regularly and dealers actually help sponsor some events and so does PCA. There is a huge community behind the cars and Porsche NA typically makes things right.
If you don’t get the difference then there is no point to discuss further.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 05:50 PM   #46
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The "PDK" in the Porsche SUVs...
Which SUV besides Macan do you have in mind?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 08:07 PM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Certain brands are much more strict.
Go try to do any mods to a Ferrari or McLaren and they will not honor anything on your car period.

Plenty of ppl running tuned BMW M cars and 911s yet have no issues getting warranty work on other non-engine related components.

The other big item is if car was tracked. Plenty of Porsche owners go to track regularly and dealers actually help sponsor some events and so does PCA. There is a huge community behind the cars and Porsche NA typically makes things right.
If you don’t get the difference then there is no point to discuss further.
Porsche definitely supports the after market and track rats better than most, they actively encourage it.
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      09-09-2023, 12:29 AM   #48
Sebis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

I had a 2015 Macan S, I enjoyed it while it was in warranty and sold it in 2018 as soon as the warranty ran out. My gripes:

- Very small interior and back seat in particular.
- Way too many issues during the warranty, minor to annoying stuff and I got to know the service guys too damn well.
- Very very expensive to maintain, paying 911 prices for regular maintenance work while driving a CUV is not worth it.
- Not as agile as I would have liked, I bought is as a compromise while our boy was a baby but in hindsight should have done something else.

So I replaced the Macan S with with an F-150 for hauling stuff and a GTI for spirited driving and errants. I did not miss the Macan S one bit but can't wait to get my 2024 M2 with MT

P.S. Zero warranty or any issues with the F-150 after 6 years. The GTI had one minor rattle when new and no other issues in 5 years of ownership. By comparison, the Macan S was a lemon.

P.P.S. The rear camera was so bad that Porsche NA decided to refund $1,200 just to get me to shut up about it. They also gave me about $1,000 in service vouchers to compensate for my trouble but I swear not to get another Porsche unless it has 911 on the badge.
      09-09-2023, 08:17 AM   #49
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
^good input^

At my nearest Porsche dealer, clapped-out Ford Explorers are on the lifts in the service bays next to GT3s, high-dollars 964s, a $1.8m Carrera GT, Panameras and the rest of the Porsche lineup. The service shop is physically the same for VW, Audi and Porsche, plus whatever dogs and cats are brought in for service when the technicians are slow.

Porsche oil changes on Porsche non-sports cars are trivially easy after the first time or two. Same for all regular maintenance work. Porsche maintenance is on par with MB, time- and effort-wise. BMWs are indeed quite easy to work on.

The X3 oil change takes half the time compared with the Cayenne. Same with spark plugs. 4-cylinder vs 6-cylinder certainly justifies some time difference, but the Cayenne has more steps, none difficult, vs the X3.

To call out MB, the spark plug change on the M276 3.5NA engine in the W166 is a disaster, particularly the driver's/left bank, because of the mostly non-moveable stuff in the way. The Cayenne EA839 2.9TT is a walk in the park by comparison. The X3 B48 is child's play.

OEM/genuine Porsche parts are available quite reasonably from dealers with online shopping platforms (porscheatlantaperimeter is one), or well-known Euro parts houses (FCP, Suncoast, Pelican). Aftermarket non-OEM parts are available very cheaply at the usual retail brick/mortar parts stores.

Last edited by chassis; 09-09-2023 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
PDOT133.00
      09-09-2023, 06:27 PM   #50
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebis View Post
I had a 2015 Macan S, I enjoyed it while it was in warranty and sold it in 2018 as soon as the warranty ran out. My gripes:

- Very small interior and back seat in particular.
- Way too many issues during the warranty, minor to annoying stuff and I got to know the service guys too damn well.
- Very very expensive to maintain, paying 911 prices for regular maintenance work while driving a CUV is not worth it.
- Not as agile as I would have liked, I bought is as a compromise while our boy was a baby but in hindsight should have done something else.

So I replaced the Macan S with with an F-150 for hauling stuff and a GTI for spirited driving and errants. I did not miss the Macan S one bit but can't wait to get my 2024 M2 with MT

P.S. Zero warranty or any issues with the F-150 after 6 years. The GTI had one minor rattle when new and no other issues in 5 years of ownership. By comparison, the Macan S was a lemon.

P.P.S. The rear camera was so bad that Porsche NA decided to refund $1,200 just to get me to shut up about it. They also gave me about $1,000 in service vouchers to compensate for my trouble but I swear not to get another Porsche unless it has 911 on the badge.
That's a very realistic take.

My dad has a '19 Macan S and I agree it feels somewhat compromised and is still ridiculously expensive to maintain. It's been quite reliable but again it's a '19 not an early model like yours was. It's fantastic to drive for an SUV, but for those of us who push to the limits the understeer/lack of RWD rotation is a tad disappointing.

It would easily be my choice for a family car when I have a wife and kids. But for my personal driver, nothing can replace the feeling of a light, compact, sports car/sport sedan.
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      09-10-2023, 09:39 AM   #51
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Agree on the Macan being very small inside, especially the back seat. I had one on order, convincing myself the kids would be comfortable back there, since I loved the way it drives so much. In the end I ended up with a Cayenne S which is considerably faster and roomier than the Macan T I had on order. However, handling and PDK in the Macan certainly trumps the Cayenne.
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      09-17-2023, 10:14 PM   #52
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
So much false info here about Porsche….

For people that are interested in a certain model -
Please do your own research.

BTW Porsche is the only luxury brand doing 2yr CPO on their sports cars. You can get 2014 911 Turbo or 2016 GT3 RS with a CPO. These are 10yr old cars that were over $200k new. Porsche also will not void your warranty running aftermarket parts - try that with Ferrari or McLaren.

Porsche is not reliable like a Toyota nor is it cheap to maintain as a BMW.
But they can be tracked without any modifications and are much cheaper to run /insure compared to other performance cars.
I still have a warranty with my aftermarket parts on my Mclaren and had the same experience with my 911.