08-31-2023, 06:32 AM   #1
dieter09
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 LCI 50e/M3 G81 Touring

X5 50e water leak under car?

Hello

As soon as i start my car it starts dripping water.
I think the amount is not normal.

The amount you see in the video is after 2minutes of starting the car

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Wf0BFLZ-GPQ
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 07:25 AM   #2
cdhowell
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e / Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter09 View Post
Hello

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Wf0BFLZ-GPQ

Not sure if that is normal for a 50e, however my Tesla Model Y drips about the same amount on a warm day when the AC is being used, if not a bit more, all is well, just condensation.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 07:31 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter09 View Post
Hello

is your vehicle parked outside? is the outside temperature hot enough that HVAC AC turns on immediately? if so, this looks like normal condensate. come winter time, you likely won't see any dripping since the heater will be used instead of AC.

i have the 45e defaulted to start in Electric drive mode. i precondition twice: in the morning before leaving for work and in the afternoon before leaving for home. my garage doesn't get very hot, so dripping is minimal to none, but after my car has been baking in the heat during work, it drips a similar amount even after only a few minutes of preconditioning. in the winter, there's no dripping in either instance.
Appreciate 1
aMIC31.00
      08-31-2023, 08:32 AM   #4
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

It does seem like a lot for 2 minutes though.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
It does seem like a lot for 2 minutes though.
can depend on the relative temp
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
jpw172
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
is your vehicle parked outside? is the outside temperature hot enough that HVAC AC turns on immediately? if so, this looks like normal condensate. come winter time, you likely won't see any dripping since the heater will be used instead of AC.

i have the 45e defaulted to start in Electric drive mode. i precondition twice: in the morning before leaving for work and in the afternoon before leaving for home. my garage doesn't get very hot, so dripping is minimal to none, but after my car has been baking in the heat during work, it drips a similar amount even after only a few minutes of preconditioning. in the winter, there's no dripping in either instance.
AC is used year round, regardless of temperature. That is how you avoid fogging up the car and humidity for comfort so it will always use some amount of AC.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #7
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
can depend on the relative temp
And humidity - that's where the water comes from.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 10:38 AM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw172 View Post
AC is used year round, regardless of temperature. That is how you avoid fogging up the car and humidity for comfort so it will always use some amount of AC.
this is known, but during the winter, the conditions are such that condensation underneath will likely not occur as the delta between the evaporator and surrounding air is too small to form condensate and drip which is the OP’s concern, eh
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 10:56 AM   #9
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

It is all about the dewpoint.
Appreciate 2
eelnoraa2059.50
      08-31-2023, 11:01 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
the OP’s concern is the amount of water that’s dripping, and we’re all smart enough to deduce it’s likely just condensation from AC use rather than a detrimental water leak of some kind, but in my bringing up winter’s colder air, can’t y’all just follow the same deduction process that humidity, dewpoint, etc will affect that amount of condensation, and that if he were to see the same amount of water dripping despite reduced AC (and condensation), then he’ll need to get it checked out?

FFS are y’all meteorologists now you need to interject pointlessly?
Appreciate 1
machop36.00
      08-31-2023, 03:25 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Since the HVAC on the PHEV is entirely electrically driven, as opposed to an ICE where the compressor speed is controlled by the engine speed, the compressor on the PHEV can operate at optimal speed all of the time. So, it is likely to be able to start dehumidifying sooner and more efficiently than what an ICE can do.

If it stops dripping under the same conditions, then you have a problem, as the drain is likely plugged, and that water will still go somewhere, likely where you don't want it to!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #12
cobramite
Banned
Rep

^^^^^^^My ICE air conditioning works exceptionally well and blows cold air in a matter of a few seconds here in S Florida summer heat and I also do not have an 800 lb battery to lug around every mile I drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:03 PM   #13
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
i don't understand why folks negatively boast of one type of vehicle against another. they each come with different technologies that meet their respective purposes. no need to come off as crass because one fits your style or use case better than the other.

it's known the 45e and 50e's electrically-powered HVAC definitely has its limitations. there are many reports of the AC not working immediately upon starting the vehicle due to a drained usable capacity in Florida, Texas, and Nevada as well as the heat not working immediately in extremely colder climates. planning (saving) enough battery capacity for HVAC use is just part of owning a PHEV now. don't like it? don't buy one.

despite the 800-pound battery, off the line, the 50e wouldn't have a problem keeping pace with your X6 so i dunno what's so funny
The poster I responded was attempting to present the HVAC system in his PHEV as something superior to that in the pure ICE X5/X6 variants.
My M60i that the tuners have shown to make near 600 HP in their baseline testing will easily walk a 50e but in all fairness the 50e is not a performance oriented model where the M60i clearly is.
Nice that there are these choices as the owners of each variant will tend to believe that theirs is the best alternative.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:08 PM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
^^^^^^^My ICE air conditioning works exceptionally well and blows cold air in a matter of a few seconds here in S Florida summer heat and I also do not have an 800 lb battery to lug around every mile I drive.
i don't understand why folks negatively boast of one type of vehicle against another. they each come with different technologies that meet their respective purposes. no need to come off as crass because one fits your style or use case better than the other.

it's known the 50e's electrically-powered HVAC definitely has its limitations. there are many reports of the AC not working immediately upon starting the vehicle due to a drained usable capacity in Florida, Texas, and Nevada as well as the heat not working immediately in extremely colder climates. planning (saving) enough battery capacity for HVAC use is just part of owning a PHEV now. don't like it? don't buy one. for me, PHEV positives far outweigh the one negative related to its battery-centered limitations.

if you track your vehicle, i can understand that handling is important, but despite the 800-pound battery, off the line, the 50e wouldn't have any problems keeping pace with you. its air suspension and tuning can handle the rigors or mountainous driving just as well, and because of its hybrid capabilities, it has better fuel economy, so tell us again what's so funny?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:11 PM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The poster I responded was attempting to present the HVAC system in his PHEV as something superior to that in the pure ICE X5/X6 variants.
My M60i that the tuners have shown to make near 600 HP in their baseline testing will easily walk a 50e but in all fairness the 50e is not a performance oriented model where the M60i clearly is.
Nice that there are these choices as the owners of each variant will tend to believe that theirs is the best alternative.
i understand "to each his own" but your reply to his post sounded braggish while his stated technical facts. clearly there was no need for that despite your bias towards high performance
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:34 PM   #16
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
i understand "to each his own" but your reply to his post sounded braggish while his stated technical facts. clearly there was no need for that despite your bias towards high performance
M60i suits me perfectly in my mid 60s. I have considerable seat time in pre LCI X5Ms and they are a little to sharp for my tastes. A superior handling X5/X6 variant here where the roads are all flat and straight is of little use. My M60i in Sport/Plus is edgy enough and a piggy back tune for less than a grand yields huge gains which I will likely install in the near future whether it is "needed" or not and I could really care less about gas mileage.
Please keep in mind that I was not the one "bragging" about my air conditioning efficeincy or gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:36 PM   #17
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Except that is NOT technical facts.

AC compressor in typical car operate in a relatively wide range is rpm to begin with. There is no one optimal rpm. Then there is clutch the compressor, engage or disengage based on compression pressure threshold. Think pulse width modulation. Mechanical control of the accessories In serpentine belt is very matured. Think mechanic radiator cooling fan and water pump, they don’t over heat the car at idle or go crazy at redline.

The fact really is a lot of decision in this PHEV is because PHEV. Meaning because it needs to be a PHEV => A, B, C. It is not because A, B, C are superior, bmw only do it on PHEV but not the cars. Some of the A, B, C are superir, some are inferior. It is fact in life, as you said it perfectly in other thread, we can’t win it all. However, some people want to think PHEV is god best creation since slide of bread. I respect that. I own one of this car as well. What I don’t respect is making up imaginary claims and spread out misinformation. I think I called out enough, I try to resist really trying. ��

Last edited by eelnoraa; 09-02-2023 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
cobramite1229.00
      09-02-2023, 12:41 PM   #18
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
M60i suits me perfectly in my mid 60s. I have considerable seat time in pre LCI X5Ms and they are a little to sharp for my tastes. A superior handling X5/X6 variant here where the roads are all flat and straight is of little use. My M60i in Sport/Plus is edgy enough and a piggy back tune for less than a grand yields huge gains which I will likely install in the near future whether it is "needed" or not and I could really care less about gas mileage.
Please keep in mind that I was not the one "bragging" about my air conditioning efficeincy or gas mileage.
why guffaw at the 50e's 800-pound battery in the first place? to most 50e owners, it isn't an issue because they don't expect performance handling out of it unlike your expectation with a tuned M60i. if that's not bragging, i don't know what is...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Since the HVAC on the PHEV is entirely electrically driven, as opposed to an ICE where the compressor speed is controlled by the engine speed, the compressor on the PHEV can operate at optimal speed all of the time. So, it is likely to be able to start dehumidifying sooner and more efficiently than what an ICE can do.

If it stops dripping under the same conditions, then you have a problem, as the drain is likely plugged, and that water will still go somewhere, likely where you don't want it to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Except that is NOT technical facts.

AC compressor in typical car operate in a relatively wide range is rpm to begin with. There is no one optimal rpm. Then there is clutch the compressor, engage or disengage based on compression pressure threshold. Think pulse width modulation. Mechanical control of the accessories In serpentine belt is very matured. Think mechanic radiator cooling fan and water pump, they don’t over heat the car at idle or go crazy at redline.
can you read jad03060 post again? i bolded his and your statements. he said that the compressor speed depends on engine speed (rpm). you said the same thing, right?

Last edited by nZtiZia; 09-02-2023 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:55 PM   #20
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
you should read jad03060 post again. i bolded it for you. he said that the compressor speed depends on engine speed (rpm). you said the same thing he just said but his was more technical.
I think you bold out of context. Bold the next sentence as well. Then you will see the misinformation. Compressed of PHEV always operate at one rpm, but there isn’t an optimal rpm. This implementation isn’t superior than compressor driven by serpentine belt.
cobramite1229.00
nZtiZia4725.00
      09-02-2023, 01:09 PM   #21
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
I think you bold out of context. Bold the next sentence as well. Then you will see the misinformation. Compressed of PHEV always operate at one rpm, but there isn’t an optimal rpm. This implementation isn’t superior than compressor driven by serpentine belt.
thanks for the clarification
Appreciate 1
cobramite1229.00
      09-02-2023, 04:49 PM   #22
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

For an ICE with a belt driven compressor to work while idling in traffic, it must put a much larger load on the engine so it can provide cooling at those lower RPMs. The compressor on the PHEV can run with no direct load on the engine and provides the same cooling with the ICE off - i.e., no penalty with ASS.

Curb weight MY2024 (USA method, US website)
- 40i x-drive 4998#
- 50e 5573#
- M60i 5355#
- M Competition 5455#

So, should you opt for the 50e, in no case are you hauling around an extra 800#, and for the M competition, it's only 118# more. That V8 is heavier than the I6.
Appreciate 0