BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-01-2023, 11:59 AM   #23
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

As for the 3rd brake light location. I referenced the wiring diagrams in TIS and it uses connection X974*1V. I'm attaching a screenshot of the wiring diagram. For me, there were 2 options, either tone/trace the wire coming from the BDC and tap in somewhere along the way or just tap in up by the 3rd brake light before the noise filter. Was just the path of least resistance for me. Same reason I tapped the CAN connections in the rear versus pulling panels and running back the BDC.

PS - I totally get being OCD about the wiring. I actually ordered twisted pair wiring in the same color scheme to match factory for the CAN. I didn't want anything to stick out as "aftermarket" or be obvious if I needed the vehicle serviced.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #24
WestfordChris
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
As for the 3rd brake light location. I referenced the wiring diagrams in TIS and it uses connection X974*1V. I'm attaching a screenshot of the wiring diagram. For me, there were 2 options, either tone/trace the wire coming from the BDC and tap in somewhere along the way or just tap in up by the 3rd brake light before the noise filter. Was just the path of least resistance for me. Same reason I tapped the CAN connections in the rear versus pulling panels and running back the BDC.

PS - I totally get being OCD about the wiring. I actually ordered twisted pair wiring in the same color scheme to match factory for the CAN. I didn't want anything to stick out as "aftermarket" or be obvious if I needed the vehicle serviced.
Yeah, I like where you tapped into the can bus, makes a ton of sense.

I see that the BDC is mounted in the front passenger well. I wonder how the wires are run from the BDC to the rear driver side? As you said, I don't want to have to remove any more panels than I have to. Did you notice what direction that black wire ran?

Is the 3rd brake light the only solid black wire in the car wiring?

Where did you order the right color twisted wiring? I was unable to find the blue/gray brown/gray twist. From my EE days I know the varied rate of twist is important to reject different frequencies of electrical noise.

Final question for now, can you program this with BimmerCode or do you need something more powerful?

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 09:47 AM   #25
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestfordChris View Post
Yeah, I like where you tapped into the can bus, makes a ton of sense.

I see that the BDC is mounted in the front passenger well. I wonder how the wires are run from the BDC to the rear driver side? As you said, I don't want to have to remove any more panels than I have to. Did you notice what direction that black wire ran?

Is the 3rd brake light the only solid black wire in the car wiring?

Where did you order the right color twisted wiring? I was unable to find the blue/gray brown/gray twist. From my EE days I know the varied rate of twist is important to reject different frequencies of electrical noise.

Final question for now, can you program this with BimmerCode or do you need something more powerful?

Thanks,
Chris
The wires run up along the rear quarter panel and then along the rocker panel I believe. Removing the interior trim was just too much effort vs tying into the 3rd brake light. I got the wiring from https://www.milspecwiring.com/Pre-Twisted_c_473.html

On the coding, I used ISTA since it was a new module and needed both firmware flash and coding together. ISTA already has this retrofit listed as an options is you basically just click the checkbox and it updates the vehicle order at the same time so no recoding after OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 09:12 AM   #26
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietyDisillusioned View Post
For the Pigtail to plug in to the tow harness like OEM if you prefer to make it you'll need these:

Tessa Tape( Friction tape matches BMWs)

These are the round pins:

8x of part # 61131376202KT

To remove the round pins you'll need this tool:

BMW-83300495676

And this connector:

OR
1378118 (Same as above)

Around$100-200 for parts depending on your area for shipping and cost wires etc. At least for those wanting to do it themselves now have that option with this information as I researched for a while to make this happen. I can always make the entire pigtail for $200+ shipping wrapped like mine so it'll be more plug and play as well. Just PM me. Let me know if y'all have any questions as I'll do my best to help out!
nice work! maybe a dumb question, but what do you need the de-pinning tool for? to fix a mistake? there doesn't seem to anything to depin otherwise...

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 11:12 PM   #27
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
nice work! maybe a dumb question, but what do you need the de-pinning tool for? to fix a mistake? there doesn't seem to anything to depin otherwise...
You’ll need the tool if you want to grab a used connector and/or make a mistake/ensure all fit appropriately for wire size wrapping etc… comes in handy and prevents headaches. Worth the money for that alone.
Appreciate 1
kolosy1486.50
      11-20-2023, 01:00 PM   #28
tejastarun
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i , 2021 X5 40i

Quote:
For the Pigtail to plug in to the tow harness like OEM if you prefer to make it you'll need these:

Tessa Tape( Friction tape matches BMWs)

These are the round pins:

8x of part # 61131376202KT

To remove the round pins you'll need this tool:

BMW-83300495676

And this connector:

OR
1378118 (Same as above)

Around$100-200 for parts depending on your area for shipping and cost wires etc. At least for those wanting to do it themselves now have that option with this information as I researched for a while to make this happen. I can always make the entire pigtail for $200+ shipping wrapped like mine so it'll be more plug and play as well. Just PM me. Let me know if y'all have any questions as I'll do my best to help out!
Hi,

I sent you a PM not sure if it has been sent since it is a new account to me.
I have a 2021 X5 without the 8SL option. Please do let me know the cost for your wiring harness and lead time. Also some advise on how to fish the lines through the rubber hose at the tail gate.
I have an E60 and I have ISTA and INPA. Not sure if it can read the G05. Please advice on what software and cables I need in order to communicate with the car?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:35 AM   #29
taaz20@outlook.com
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Hello I just bought a G05 and also don't have trailer wiring. Can you tell me the parts you had to buy to do your install. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 11:13 AM   #30
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaz20@outlook.com View Post
Hello I just bought a G05 and also don't have trailer wiring. Can you tell me the parts you had to buy to do your install. Thanks
The parts and evertything listed should be listed at the beginning of this post if you go back to page 1. Screen shot or save the page/website so it makes it easier for you to review if necessary. You’ll basically be making a wiring harness that you’ll splice into the cars system and plugs into the modules you’ll need to buy. It sounds more difficult than it actually is and worth it for an open style install.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 08:51 AM   #31
taaz20@outlook.com
Rep

Quote:
The parts and evertything listed should be listed at the beginning of this post if you go back to page 1. Screen shot or save the page/website so it makes it easier for you to review if necessary. You’ll basically be making a wiring harness that you’ll splice into the cars system and plugs into the modules you’ll need to buy. It sounds more difficult than it actually is and worth it for an open style install.
Thank you very much for your response and all your hard work into this helping us out!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 02:26 PM   #32
taaz20@outlook.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post

Hello did you have the chance to also log what you did as well as reference to follow. THANKS! for all you guys have done helping members out
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:55 PM   #33
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Hello did you have the chance to also log what you did as well as reference to follow. THANKS! for all you guys have done helping members out
What part are you looking for help with? I didn't record any videos or write up any how to guides.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 03:05 PM   #34
taaz20@outlook.com
Rep

Quote:

Here's the video I made to help those whom want to have an OEM Tow module wiring setup that never came with the 8SL option(Prewiring from factory to just add the harness). This will allow you to more easily obtain that. Everything works and confirmed with connecting a trailer. Coded by Steve Ma from codemybimmer.ca
I finally got all of my parts ready and just wanted to ask you how did you align the wires in your pig tail to match the cable on the trailer harness. I want to make sure that I insert the wires in the female adapter to match the corresponding wire in the trailer harness. Thanks for all your hard work!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:20 AM   #35
larsony99
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
I just came by to mention that my car actually came with the 8SL package, but this is a great thread. Exactly what needs to be documented on forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:54 AM   #36
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I finally got all of my parts ready and just wanted to ask you how did you align the wires in your pig tail to match the cable on the trailer harness. I want to make sure that I insert the wires in the female adapter to match the corresponding wire in the trailer harness. Thanks for all your hard work!!
Hey there, sorry haven’t been active with a newborn and life changes. The very first post of this thread should cover the wires. It’ll be labeled by pin 1 etc then just below that it’ll go over where the wires are run.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 05:51 AM   #37
breeze
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Thanks so much for sharing the write-up and the video! Very helpful and detailed instructions, appreciate time and effort to post this.

I’ve got the parts and will be doing the same myself soon. I have a G06 though, not G05. Does anybody have an idea if the wiring in the fuse panel is the same?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #38
Cstaebel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Any updates?

I recently bought a new 2024 X5 unknowingly without the S8L option. I really appreciate your guide to create an OEM compatible pigtail for the electric harness. To date, are there any updates on this technique or commercially available kits?
Appreciate 0