BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #23
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
This is it in a nutshell. Scores of guys will relate the same with absolutely no problems years later. Amazing how some see these "break in" BS guidelines as gospel.
Who has had problems due to not abiding by the break in rules?
I've had more brand new vehicles than I can remember at this point and drove every one of them the way I pleased and never had an issue.
In my short lifetime, I've had 4 new cars. I've purchased and owned every one of them for 4+ years.
2005 Accord V6 - 7 years
2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 - 5 years
2017 Macan S - 4 years
2021 X5 40i - current

I admit i'm a bit tamer now that i'm in my 30s. But the first 3 cars? Forget about it, I put them in manual mode and let the engine hit the rev limiter for 30 seconds at time. I was the harshest on the Macan S during the first 1000 miles. Absolutely drove as hard as i could on the nurburgring - and to define that - either my foot was 100% on the gas or 100% on the brake. I am not a track drive and have no idea the best places to brake and to ease on the gas. Due to other cars being on the ring at the same time, I wasn't able to take the racing line. I braked and accelerated at all the wrong times, causing me to be harder on the car than somebody else would've.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #24
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner10004 View Post
In my short lifetime, I've had 4 new cars. I've purchased and owned every one of them for 4+ years.
2005 Accord V6 - 7 years
2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 - 5 years
2017 Macan S - 4 years
2021 X5 40i - current

I admit i'm a bit tamer now that i'm in my 30s. But the first 3 cars? Forget about it, I put them in manual mode and let the engine hit the rev limiter for 30 seconds at time. I was the harshest on the Macan S during the first 1000 miles. Absolutely drove as hard as i could on the nurburgring - and to define that - either my foot was 100% on the gas or 100% on the brake. I am not a track drive and have no idea the best places to brake and to ease on the gas. Due to other cars being on the ring at the same time, I wasn't able to take the racing line. I braked and accelerated at all the wrong times, causing me to be harder on the car than somebody else would've.
Right with you my friend. Know many, many guys over the years who have run their new vehicles extremely hard for years from day one and to my knowledge never had an engine or transmission issue.
I've never heard or read any notable engine builder recommend babying a new engine. Most of these guys tell you that the rings are seated in the first couple minutes of operation which has already occurred before you get the car. Sure, there is more to an engine than piston rings but I know what I have been told, read, and seen.
1200 mile "break in"?
Appreciate 0