BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2023, 11:17 AM   #89
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDBD View Post
Takes 8 steps in 50e to adjust adaptive cruise distance instead of pushing a button on the steering wheel. BMW didn’t even use the newly empty space for anything. Pretty cheap move IMHO.
That is indeed basically the only thing that really bugs me with this whole "removal of buttons issue". I really hope the adaptive mode for the ACC will alleviate this a bit.
Appreciate 1
Heavyd866.50
      05-10-2023, 11:22 AM   #90
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
That is indeed basically the only thing that really bugs me with this whole "removal of buttons issue". I really hope the adaptive mode for the ACC will alleviate this a bit.
Yeah, that was my biggest gripe as well. Since getting my 50e though, I set the gap to medium and have just learned to live with it. Do I wish I still had those two buttons? Yes, but its not as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #91
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
Yeah, that was my biggest gripe as well. Since getting my 50e though, I set the gap to medium and have just learned to live with it. Do I wish I still had those two buttons? Yes, but its not as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be.
It is a bigger deal when it starts raining or road conditions change like snow or ice. Then not only do you want to increase the distance, you have to take your eyes off the road in less than ideal conditions to change it.

Or is it changable via voice?

Update: Just saw in manual driver can say “Increase the ACC distance”!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 02:43 AM   #92
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Wouldn't you be able to set a quickaccess kind of thing on the screen?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 10:44 AM   #93
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
That and the loss of the shifter, which I use regularly to put the transmission into sport mode. As with the ACC distance control, previously (as on my '19), you can make the change instantly by feel. I presume with the new iDrive you now have to use the mode buttons on the console, requiring you to take your eyes off the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 11:00 AM   #94
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
That and the loss of the shifter, which I use regularly to put the transmission into sport mode. As with the ACC distance control, previously (as on my '19), you can make the change instantly by feel. I presume with the new iDrive you now have to use the mode buttons on the console, requiring you to take your eyes off the road.
I actually like the lower profile and look of the new lever vs the old shifter.

To get to sport mode I believe you just simply pull the lever down while in D mode and it switches into manual mode. To switch back pull down again.

From the manual-

Activating the Sport program
Pull the selector lever from selector lever position
D to D/S.
The engaged gear is displayed in the instrument
cluster, for instance S1.
The sport program of the transmission is activated.
eDRIVE electric driving and the Auto Start/
Stop function are deactivated. Rolling to a stop
and braking phases are used more often to
recover energy. The high-voltage battery can
be charged depending on the driving situation.
Charging may increase the fuel consumption.

Ending the Sport program
Pull the selector lever to D/S.
D is displayed in the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:50 PM   #95
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

To me, losing the physical buttons on the LCI isn't a huge deal. However, after seeing a few YT videos, I would have to say that iDrive 8.5 is a huge improvement over iDrive 8, in regards to the layout of the UI. Especially when it comes to how the HVAC controls are displayed and accessed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 04:40 PM   #96
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Why didn't BMW realise there was problems with idrive 8 when they brought it in, to have to update a new system so quickly is bad, seems they have used customers for the testing they should have done.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 12:59 AM   #97
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
I actually like the lower profile and look of the new lever vs the old shifter.

To get to sport mode I believe you just simply pull the lever down while in D mode and it switches into manual mode. To switch back pull down again.
Yes same here. In fact the shifter was mostly annoying me in AT cars, at least if they had the paddles on the steering wheel. Makes everything that is behind the shifter way less accessible and you have a huge stick sticking out your console for a function that could essentially be handled by a few buttons or a knob even. (Jaguar comes to mind.) Now everything behind the shifter is a lot more accessible and it looks cleaner as well.

Yes Sport mode can be accessed by simply pulling the shifter to "D/S" while already in "D".
Appreciate 0