BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #133
rs4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

on .37 and have gotten many more red car warnings than before, but still no brake intervention option for PDC.

Hoping to get an upgrade soon to .48.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #134
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post

The .45 one.
Do you know if you have the parking automatic braking menu option in iDrive? That option is missing in my (and almost everyone else's) menu in early software versions.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #135
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Do you know if you have the parking automatic braking menu option in iDrive? That option is missing in my (and almost everyone else's) menu in early software versions.
A member here in Europe, at least not the US, had it but it is not available in the US yet from all reports.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #136
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I can also report a real automatic braking event today. Circumstance was slow departure from a light, suddenly half-way through the intersection, car in front of me brakes hard for some reason. Speed at that instance was maybe 10-15km/h. I brake hard and fast, but the X5 beat me by like 50-100ms, I could feel that braking was faster than just my action, plus the car symbol and alarms. Both would have stopped in time, I wasn't ultimately at risk of rear-ending the guy in front of me, but it was interesting to experience. The end result was full stop, but I don't know if the car took me there or my action did.

What I did find annoying (but better safe than sorry) is that either the car or I accidentally ended up in Neutral and it took a bunch of tries with the brake pedal and the gear shift and its side button combinations to get back into D, in the middle of the intersection with traffic all around. I need more practice getting out of neutral in this car, LOL.
      07-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #137
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx5 View Post
Did you test the Barbie tent both forwards and backwards?
I don’t have a Barbie tent, but today I decided to see if the car would hit the house. It did. I was creeping, so no harm no foul, and the alerts were going full steam, but it hit a HOUSE.
Appreciate 1
rs4eva33.00
      07-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #138
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I can also report a real automatic braking event today. Circumstance was slow departure from a light, suddenly half-way through the intersection, car in front of me brakes hard for some reason. Speed at that instance was maybe 10-15km/h. I brake hard and fast, but the X5 beat me by like 50-100ms, I could feel that braking was faster than just my action, plus the car symbol and alarms. Both would have stopped in time, I wasn't ultimately at risk of rear-ending the guy in front of me, but it was interesting to experience. The end result was full stop, but I don't know if the car took me there or my action did.

What I did find annoying (but better safe than sorry) is that either the car or I accidentally ended up in Neutral and it took a bunch of tries with the brake pedal and the gear shift and its side button combinations to get back into D, in the middle of the intersection with traffic all around. I need more practice getting out of neutral in this car, LOL.
Wow, good report!
But having trouble getting it back in drive is concerning. Did you try restarting the car?

I’ve had that problem when a door is ajar. It won’t go into either drive or reverse and just keeps popping back into park. I finally figured it out, but was one of your doors possibly ajar? I wouldn’t think so, in your situation.

Maybe a car in front was still too close and the alert system wouldn’t let it go forward? It would be good to figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #139
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Quote:

Wow, good report!
But having trouble getting it back in drive is concerning. Did you try restarting the car?

I’ve had that problem when a door is ajar. It won’t go into either drive or reverse and just keeps popping back into park. I finally figured it out, but was one of your doors possibly ajar? I wouldn’t think so, in your situation.

Maybe a car in front was still too close and the alert system wouldn’t let it go forward? It would be good to figure this out.
No, it was just that I didn't realize I was in neutral and you need to be on the brake, have the side button pressed, and then move lever toward the back all simultaneously — not hard ... if you know you're in Neutral and have done it more than once before.

The car in front of me that caused all this was long gone, I had no traffic at the front and A LOT of annoyed traffic behind me.
      07-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #140
rs4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
I don’t have a Barbie tent, but today I decided to see if the car would hit the house. It did. I was creeping, so no harm no foul, and the alerts were going full steam, but it hit a HOUSE.
What version of software?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #141
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4eva View Post
What version of software?
. 44
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #142
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
The car does not auto brake in this circumstance because it is not designed to do that. Which means that you cannot rely on it stopping you from hitting anything when parking the car. Other cars/brands do have that feature but not in our case.
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #143
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Man so much courage needed to do what you did! How was the damage, can you post a picture of the damage?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #144
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
The car does not auto brake in this circumstance because it is not designed to do that. Which means that you cannot rely on it stopping you from hitting anything when parking the car. Other cars/brands do have that feature but not in our case.
This doesn't make sense at all. Have you performed auto parking? It stops the car switches gears and steers.. Mine auto stopped me from hitting a curb while parking already. Perhaps it was due to my auto hold being engaged??? Got to a speed at which it just went into it?? If you watch the You tube videos it shows it stopping before impact during parking as well... Guess I'm lost as how mine did it, maybe certain situation?
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #145
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I may miss that. Our Q7 brakes - hard - if it detects something to the rear backing up that you don't notice and continue backing. Works for cars, bikes and pedestrians. I thought I had hit something the first time it happened, but it actually works.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #146
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have a Barbie tent, but today I decided to see if the car would hit the house. It did. I was creeping, so no harm no foul, and the alerts were going full steam, but it hit a HOUSE.
The car does not auto brake in this circumstance because it is not designed to do that.
Is this because natahoa was going forwards? From what I've read its only supposed to work whilst going backwards - however I've not seen it work at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ggalanis2354.00
      07-15-2019, 05:45 AM   #147
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Man so much courage needed to do what you did! How was the damage, can you post a picture of the damage?
No damage, but I did find a tiny ding in the paint. Oh well. Damn plastic body. A metal car would never ding that easily.

We are planning to take a long road trip soon and I bought temp PPF stuff that rolls on for the trip. I’ll be working on that later this week.

I’m hoping that will prevent dings from highway and road debris, plus i won’t feel the need to wash it every day, since I probably won’t be able to do that.

I’ll report the results in a couple of weeks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #148
Simon.iv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by First BMW View Post
Does the new X5 have the automatic braking when you get too close an object ?
I got automatic breaking a couple days ago in the city while crossing traffic light and not close to any object. It was a bit scary if you have cars behind...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #149
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.iv View Post
I got automatic breaking a couple days ago in the city while crossing traffic light and not close to any object. It was a bit scary if you have cars behind...
Do you know if the car automatically puts the brake lights on when it auto brakes?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #150
Simon.iv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.iv View Post
Do you know if the car automatically puts the brake lights on when it auto brakes?
Im not so sure . I just catch the car sign on HUD with a long beep sound and then braking quite hard. I was trying not to stop in middle of intersection, so did not really notice any other sign than that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #151
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This doesn't make sense at all. Have you performed auto parking? It stops the car switches gears and steers.. Mine auto stopped me from hitting a curb while parking already. Perhaps it was due to my auto hold being engaged??? Got to a speed at which it just went into it?? If you watch the You tube videos it shows it stopping before impact during parking as well... Guess I'm lost as how mine did it, maybe certain situation?
Yes I have auto parked. Yes it does it all. It is not that the hardware or softwre is not able to do it. As russelldav pointed out, the auto braking is supposed to only work in reverse which was not the direction natahoa was moving.

With that said, it is a horrible design. If they did it for reversing, they should have implemented it for going forward as well with options to disable either one if the driver wants. To be fair though, with all the available camera angles, visuals, beeping, etc, as long as you know it will not stop for you, there is no reason to bump into things.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #152
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I have auto parked. Yes it does it all. It is not that the hardware or softwre is not able to do it. As russelldav pointed out, the auto braking is supposed to only work in reverse which was not the direction natahoa was moving.

With that said, it is a horrible design. If they did it for reversing, they should have implemented it for going forward as well with options to disable either one if the driver wants. To be fair though, with all the available camera angles, visuals, beeping, etc, as long as you know it will not stop for you, there is no reason to bump into things.
I know we're on the same page regarding "horrible design", but there are plenty of reasons for it to work even with the camera "capabilities" when those cameras will regularly show your back up camera when going forward and turn off by themselves in the middle of parking maneuvers willy nilly — X5 camera handling software is currently stupid, buggy, and unsafe as well.
      07-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #153
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I know we're on the same page regarding "horrible design", but there are plenty of reasons for it to work even with the camera "capabilities" when those cameras will regularly show your back up camera when going forward and turn off by themselves in the middle of parking maneuvers willy nilly — X5 camera handling software is currently stupid, buggy, and unsafe as well.
yeah, if yours behaves like that I agree, stupid, buggy and unsafe. Bad on a 20k car let alone one the price of an X5.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #154
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

I experienced some braking intervention/help for the first time today. On the freeway and there was some ill-advised lane changes going on in front of the car in front of me, causing him to hit the brakes. I was already braking a bit (anticipating that there would be trouble) and suddenly felt the brakes get a helping hand with a couple of pulses. I also got the red car on the dash and the HUD (there my have also been some beeping).

As I was already braking and ready to apply more, I don't feel like I needed the help, but I guess I'm happy the feature showed itself. I'm still on 11/2018.57.
Appreciate 0