12-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2019 40i 6 Month Review

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION
The B58 engine paired with the ZF transmission is remarkable. Fast, smooth, efficient and quiet. Coming from an E70 4.8 liter V8, the straight six/8-speed transmission combo is worlds more responsive, faster, less strained and drinks less. Coming from a V8, I was concerned the exhaust note might be thin, but it sounds great. By far the best engine/drivetrain I've experienced.

SUSPENSION
Standard suspension is surprisingly good. Like the engine/tranny, it's a well balanced combination of comfort and sport. It has all of the performance of my E70 but soaks up bumps much better. I wouldn't mind if it were a little stiffer in Sport mode, but it's still remarkably tight for a base suspension and should be reliable for many years.

INTERIOR
Quiet, sporty and luxurious. I highly recommend comfort seats, quiet glass and HK Audio. Spend time dialing in the EQ and it will reward you with amazingly clear vocals, 3-dimensional soundstage and dynamic sound.

OVERALL
The G05 X5 is the perfect balance of comfort and sport. It's composed in the city, feeling like a much smaller vehicle, and effortless on the highway. You get a feeling it was developed for the Autobahn because it is so natural at speed - stable, quiet, controlled and comfortable.

Last edited by Pablo; 12-02-2019 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 5
mhodx5111.50
TurtleBoy12880.50
LexxM31697.50
sygazelle11091.00
perikifi165.50
      12-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
ENGINE/TRANSMISSION
The B58 engine paired with the ZF transmission is remarkable. Fast, smooth, efficient and quiet. Coming from an E70 4.8 liter V8, the straight six/8-speed transmission combo is worlds more responsive, faster, less strained and drinks less. Coming from a V8, I was concerned the exhaust note might be thin, but it sounds great. By far the best engine/drivetrain I've experienced.

SUSPENSION
Standard suspension is surprisingly good. Like the engine/tranny, it's a well balanced combination of comfort and sport. It has all of the performance of my E70 but soaks up bumps much better. I wouldn't mind if it were a little stiffer in Sport mode, but it's still remarkably tight for a base suspension and should be reliable for many years.

INTERIOR
Quiet, sporty and luxurious. I highly recommend comfort seats, quiet glass and HK Audio. Spend time dialing in the EQ and it will reward you with amazingly clear vocals, 3-dimensional soundstage and dynamic sound.

OVERALL
The G05 X5 is the perfect balance of comfort and sport. It's composed in the city, feeling like a much smaller vehicle, and effortless on the highway. You get a feeling it was developed for the Autobahn because it is so natural at speed - stable, quiet, controlled and comfortable.
I agree with everything *stated* and feel the same on my also 6mo old sibling to OP's car. Well, I have the M Sport suspension, so I feel a bit better than the OP :-).

Unstated are all the tech/software bugs and downright stupid design, part unavailability, and general BMW behaviour towards actual customers (vs potential customers).
      12-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
ENGINE/TRANSMISSION

SUSPENSION

INTERIOR

OVERALL
I agree with everything *stated* and feel the same on my also 6mo old sibling to OP's car. Well, I have the M Sport suspension, so I feel a bit better than the OP :-).

Unstated are all the tech/software bugs and downright stupid design, part unavailability, and general BMW behaviour towards actual customers (vs potential customers).
Can you elaborate on what you consider to be a stupid design? During my test drives and poking around the showroom, felt the car to be exceptionally well designed.
      12-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
Quote:

Can you elaborate on what you consider to be a stupid design? During my test drives and poking around the showroom, felt the car to be exceptionally well designed.
I really cannot summarize the entire year-long set of forum discussions in a pithy answer :-). Plenty to read here, however. To be clear, I meant software/tech design.

Well, my "favourite" is camera view selection handing.
      12-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
Quote:

I really cannot summarize the entire year-long set of forum discussions in a pithy answer :-). Plenty to read here, however. To be clear, I meant software/tech design.

Well, my "favourite" is camera view selection handing.
Software and tech I understand. Hopefully will improve with updates.
      12-03-2019, 12:29 AM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

I've had my G05 40i since February and agree completely with the OP's assessment. The unstated issues to which you refer have not been an issue at all for me.

The OP is sharing how much he loves his G05. My experience like his. My wife and I both love the G05. Our back camera went out and we had it fixed under warranty. That's it. Sorry you are having more serious issues. Hopefully you get them sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:

I've had my G05 40i since February and agree completely with the OP's assessment. The unstated issues to which you refer have not been an issue at all for me.

The OP is sharing how much he loves his G05. My experience like his. My wife and I both love the G05. Our back camera went out and we had it fixed under warranty. That's it. Sorry you are having more serious issues. Hopefully you get them sorted out.
My issues with the software are not manufacturing issues, they are 60% bad UX design and 40% actual software bugs. They won't be "sorted out for me", they require software engineers not service departments.
      12-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

100%. I just hit my first 1000 miles and it's been a really good car. I'm coming from a F10 550i and the G05 seems very responsive and perky that I don't miss driving the F10. There might be less of that push back to the seat feel on the highway going 70-80. Overall, great summary.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Quote:
ENGINE/TRANSMISSION

SUSPENSION

INTERIOR

OVERALL

At 5 months old and about to hit 10k miles, I also agree with OP, however I feel even better and more comfortable than both since I am being carried around on air suspension... I do wake up every morning to hope the software ferries have made the world right again with the F/R selection on the camera, but nothing so far...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

homerrr I agree with your both stated points...my complaints with them are the randomness to which the "level change not available" message comes up, but turning on the car and back off fixes it. No idea why and cannot get a straight after from the dealership as to why. The F/R would be awesome! Hell, my ford did it. It's weird, since you can go into reverse and have the same screen come up. But, if you hit the parking button on the center console area, and get the (A) option on the front of the car on the top down view...it works. It makes no sense! The capability is there, but yeahhhhhh....
Appreciate 0