10-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #265
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro55 View Post
Well we went into the dealers on the 23 sept not really sure what we were looking for and came away with an X5 30d m Sport with a whopping 19% discount if we could take delivery by the 30th.
Carbon black
Tech pack
M Sport plus with 22 inch non run flats
3 row seats.
Clarity glass elements
Travel and comfort.
2.9%apr. All in all a very good deal.

However as we had to take a stock car i looked on the website to see what it should have, and everything on there is for a 20 build car. Ours was June 19.
WhereÂ’s the drive recorder, the black grill, black exhaust tips etc. Bmw not good at giving the info out.
We collected the car on a cloudy day after they had applied the Autoglym LifeShine. Its going back in in 2 weeks time to have it all stripped off. machine polished and reapplied. So many swirls. Its not the LifeShine thats the problem. Its the fact that the car needs to be prepped properly before its applied. You live and learn. Detailed next time.
The car also has a recall. Well they call it a customer experience upgrade. Not sure what that entails but they need a whole day.

Now the positives. I love the torque. Engine very smooth. Air suspension fabulous. M sport exhaust gives great sound and not just inside. When its active at the back end it sounds so much better.
Was going to change the exhaust tips to black but changed my mind. The chrome ones stand out so well on a black car. If i had a white car i would definitely do it. Same with the front grille.
So probably best that i did get the 19 build and not the 20.

My friend worked at bmw for 10 years. He says the minute you remap the ecu they invalidate your warranty. In some cases it sends it via wifi to bmw. Or it will appear in the diagnostics. Some plug in boxes claim they are undetectable and that might be true to start with but its a constant battle between bmw and the tuners who try to keep things ahead of the software that detects these thing. Not worth loosing your warranty for imho.
Driver recorders, black grills, black exhaust, dynamic safety, m seat belts all part of the 20MY build, your June build will be a 19MY

Your recall is an update to the iDrive to allow OTA updates. Its common knowledge to never allow BMW (or any dealer to prep the car) just a big no no

Absolute nonsense about your friends advice. There is no way that a car would notify anything of that sort via wifi. They would not invalidate warranty, they wouldn't uphold a claim if your engine went pop because of a remap. However, if your sunroof started leaking, its unlikely they'd blame an ECU remap? I'm very friendly with my local dealership. They said that they wouldn't go looking for a remap unless they needed to.

Its also not a case of them running a diagnostic and big red flashing sign coming up on the computer saying ECU remapped. They'd need to check the DME log, look for over runs and over boost in data logs. Check when data was manipulated.

latest remaps are smart enough to effectively wipe those entries at a point when you turn the car off, however, a deep dive within data would still show when an ECU was altered. The quickest way to show a remapped car would be to test drive, as its stupidly obvious then.

Last edited by sjak92; 10-31-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #266
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilajio View Post
So MPG update.

Full take so 75 litres (16.5 gallons) and got 660 miles, which calculates to around 40mpg and 14.6p per mile.
Pretty impressed with that
That is encouraging!

Quick question - how did you work it out as 14.6p? Isn't it nearer 7p? Just been sat here working out the same thing so not being funny, just coincidence and getting quite different answer!
I did my calc like this:
Total miles/total cost=cost per miles
total cost 75 litres at £1.23 per litre- £92.25
660/£92.25 = 7.15?

Having been on the phone all day to insurance companies though I may have lost the plot completely!
Quote:
Quote:
So MPG update.

Full take so 75 litres (16.5 gallons) and got 660 miles, which calculates to around 40mpg and 14.6p per mile.
Pretty impressed with that
That is encouraging!

Quick question - how did you work it out as 14.6p? Isn't it nearer 7p? Just been sat here working out the same thing so not being funny, just coincidence and getting quite different answer!
I did my calc like this:
660/£92.25 = 7.15?

Having been on the phone all day to insurance companies though I may have lost the plot completely!
Its the other way round. So do cost / miles
      10-31-2019, 09:52 AM   #267
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That is encouraging!

I did my calc like this:
660/£92.25 = 7.15?

Other way around

£92.25 gets you 660 miles so

92.25/660 = 0.0139

If you did better MPG and got 700 miles from a tank, your calculation would be

700/92.25 = 0.0758 and it wouldn't make sense that you'd get more miles from same pric costing more per mile

92.25/700 however = 0.0131 which is slightly cheaper as you'd expect.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #268
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
didn't see this lol
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #269
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Quote:

Doh - of course. I did say I was frazzled - just proved it! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #270
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

Excellent deal, similar to what I managed to get but on a M50D.
First they were having none of it, apparently no support on M50D but when I told them another dealer was offering the same support as that on a 30D they matched and bettered it.
My only nag, my dealer got me a MY19 which I didn't know, the other dealer was getting me a MY20 directly from the docks, I was under the impression both were quoting for the same car. Unfortunately, that was not the case but regardless, I am enjoying the drive albeit MPG could be much better

Quote:
Well we went into the dealers on the 23 sept not really sure what we were looking for and came away with an X5 30d m Sport with a whopping 19% discount if we could take delivery by the 30th.
Carbon black
Tech pack
M Sport plus with 22 inch non run flats
3 row seats.
Clarity glass elements
Travel and comfort.
2.9%apr. All in all a very good deal.

However as we had to take a stock car i looked on the website to see what it should have, and everything on there is for a 20 build car. Ours was June 19.
WhereÂ’s the drive recorder, the black grill, black exhaust tips etc. Bmw not good at giving the info out.
We collected the car on a cloudy day after they had applied the Autoglym LifeShine. Its going back in in 2 weeks time to have it all stripped off. machine polished and reapplied. So many swirls. Its not the LifeShine thats the problem. Its the fact that the car needs to be prepped properly before its applied. You live and learn. Detailed next time.
The car also has a recall. Well they call it a customer experience upgrade. Not sure what that entails but they need a whole day.

Now the positives. I love the torque. Engine very smooth. Air suspension fabulous. M sport exhaust gives great sound and not just inside. When its active at the back end it sounds so much better.
Was going to change the exhaust tips to black but changed my mind. The chrome ones stand out so well on a black car. If i had a white car i would definitely do it. Same with the front grille.
So probably best that i did get the 19 build and not the 20.

My friend worked at bmw for 10 years. He says the minute you remap the ecu they invalidate your warranty. In some cases it sends it via wifi to bmw. Or it will appear in the diagnostics. Some plug in boxes claim they are undetectable and that might be true to start with but its a constant battle between bmw and the tuners who try to keep things ahead of the software that detects these thing. Not worth loosing your warranty for imho.
      10-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #271
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

I wish mine was frugal ... as expected sub 13-14 mpg in town and probably around 18 average. The exhaust note could have been raspier. However the V8 twin turbo has the pace when required and it does move like anything. All hail the M50i.

I have driven the 45e already which was very nice and the transition between electric / ice was second to none. It should be a compelling choice for people doing a lot of stop start driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:07 PM   #272
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
I wish mine was frugal ... as expected sub 13-14 mpg in town and probably around 18 average. The exhaust note could have been raspier. However the V8 twin turbo has the pace when required and it does move like anything. All hail the M50i.

I have driven the 45e already which was very nice and the transition between electric / ice was second to none. It should be a compelling choice for people doing a lot of stop start driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post

Oh I'd definitely trade the mpg for that v8 burble! May consider the change when my mileage drops to sub 10k per annum
      11-01-2019, 03:26 AM   #273
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Mine was from Sytner dealership.

Question. Isn’t the fuel tank 80/83 litres as in my manual.

Also all used G05 being advertised with oil service at 24 months/25000 miles.
My car said oil service in 16000 when I got it. Has this changed?

My friend was a technician for bmw for 10 years and I was only stating what he told me. He said the remap practically does flash up on the screen.
No it won’t invalidate a leaky sunroof but he said it would on engine and gearbox related claims .
Mpg . I’ve done 1600 miles now mostly motorway . 39 mpg in a long run. 32 mpg since car was purchased .
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:24 AM   #274
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Mine was from Sytner dealership.

Question. Isn’t the fuel tank 80/83 litres as in my manual.

Also all used G05 being advertised with oil service at 24 months/25000 miles.
My car said oil service in 16000 when I got it. Has this changed?

My friend was a technician for bmw for 10 years and I was only stating what he told me. He said the remap practically does flash up on the screen.
No it won’t invalidate a leaky sunroof but he said it would on engine and gearbox related claims .
Mpg . I’ve done 1600 miles now mostly motorway . 39 mpg in a long run. 32 mpg since car was purchased .
That's what i thought as well 80 in tank and a further 3 in the system pipes?

25k service would be maximum interval, ie only motorway. 16k is the base line for when its reset. The computer then analyses your driving style and adjusts accordingly increasing or decreasing the interval.

My car has done 853 miles and service now down to 14k (so its nicked a 1000 miles off of the interval) due to my driving style (most around town)

As for warranty, i agree, if something went bust then engine, gearbox diff and probably transfer case in an X wouldn't be covered. However, the engine tolerancies as so far from limits on a stock map a remap adding 60bhp and 100nm does not even come close to causing issues. You'd have to be really unlucky to have problems, especially if the remap is done by a reputable company and not Joe Bloggs cowboy in a back alley shed/garage
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:56 AM   #275
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Hi All, my X5 has been in for some alignment work already (3 times in fact), it has had a full kds and EPS done.

I still think its not right.

Question. Is your steering wheel dead straight when driving down the road or has a slight tilt to the left (in my case).

I know road camber etc etc (but my old G30 was not this pronounced) I am getting paranoid or is this normal on the car due to fat tyres, camber etc etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #276
yans
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d MSport Phytonic Blu

Mine drives straight mate.... mine is 21in alloys if that helps ?
Good luck keep us posted...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:13 AM   #277
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yans View Post
Mine drives straight mate.... mine is 21in alloys if that helps ?
Good luck keep us posted...
Not a case of not driving straight, car runs like its on rails, just steering wheel tilted to the left to keep it straight.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:22 AM   #278
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Not a case of not driving straight, car runs like its on rails, just steering wheel tilted to the left to keep it straight.
Must be something wrong, in the UK the camber on roads means if anything the steering wheel should be tilted to the right to keep it straight.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:44 AM   #279
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

No. My steering wheel is dead straight. Probably the first car for a while that is!! Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #280
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

To revive an old thread - the tuning part...

I purchased the True Tune OBD device as intended back in January however was never able to use it as cars software is too new and OBD mapping was blocked. The idea is fantastic, almost untraceable and a proper remap. However, with constant updates to the car (hopefully OTA soon) the map would be wiped with every dealer visit/update. With newer protocols each time, it's likely I'd have to wait months to remap after the latest update. After all, my November update is still not OBD enabled.

So I returned the device and went for a unit from TDI Tuning. Yes I know it will not get the 330bhp and 720nm as advertised, yes I know it is a glorified piggy back device and fools the system. However, install was (once I got to grips with it) 25 minutes. The difference on program 7 is significant.

I thought it was a placebo effect but the butt dyno was not lying. With the box installed the 0-62 time measured at 5.7 seconds.

That's 0.8 faster than standard and sub 6 seconds is fast as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #281
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:

So I returned the device and went for a unit from TDI Tuning. Yes I know it will not get the 330bhp and 720nm meters as advertised, yes I know it is a glorified piggy back device and fools the system. However, install was (once I got to grips with it) 25 minutes. The difference on program 7 is significant.

I thought it was a placebo effect but the butt dunk was not lying. 0-62 time measured at 5.7 seconds.

That's 0.8 faster than standard and sub 6 seconds is fast as far as I'm concerned.
Can you elaborate further on the TDI Tuning?
Is this just a remap of existing ECU, or is it a new plug-in ECU?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #282
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:

So I returned the device and went for a unit from TDI Tuning. Yes I know it will not get the 330bhp and 720nm meters as advertised, yes I know it is a glorified piggy back device and fools the system. However, install was (once I got to grips with it) 25 minutes. The difference on program 7 is significant.

I thought it was a placebo effect but the butt dunk was not lying. 0-62 time measured at 5.7 seconds.

Can you elaborate further on the TDI Tuning?
Is this just a remap of existing ECU, or is it a new plug-in ECU?
So it's a box which you plug into a couple of sensors under the bonnet. It plugs into the fuel, cam and boost sensors.

It then intercepts the signal and alters it on the fly. In effect, it will tell the car that's its running x amount of boost when car is running more therefore, it tricks the car and car ECU sends more boost than it thinks it is actually sending.

A remap also does this in theory, but in a much more refined way and can alter many more parameters than the box.

First impressions are good. Will see how it performs over a few months
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #283
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

Quote:

I purchased the True Tune OBD device as intended back in January however was never able to use it as cars software is too new and OBD mapping was blocked. The idea is fantastic, almost untraceable and a proper remap. However, with constant updates to the car (hopefully OTA soon) the map would be wiped with every dealer visit/update. With newer protocols each time, it's likely I'd have to wait months to remap after the latest update. After all, my November update is still not OBD enabled.

So I returned the device and went for a unit from TDI Tuning. Yes I know it will not get the 330bhp and 720nm as advertised, yes I know it is a glorified piggy back device and fools the system. However, install was (once I got to grips with it) 25 minutes. The difference on program 7 is significant.

I thought it was a placebo effect but the butt dyno was not lying. With the box installed the 0-62 time measured at 5.7 seconds.

Ok TDI Tuning looks interesting, they give now a discount so you can buy for £312.

Any issues along the road, engine errors on dash, problems, and how fuel economy is affected on most aggressive program?
      05-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #284
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloPL View Post
Quote:

Ok TDI Tuning looks interesting, they give now a discount so you can buy for £312.

Any issues along the road, engine errors on dash, problems, and how fuel economy is affected on most aggressive program?
No errors at all. Too early to tell on economy as only done around 30 miles so far and flooring it as you can imagine

I would take the Bluetooth add on. Allows map updates remotely
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #285
c_hri_s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

What's the downside to doing this? I assume that if BMW could have coded in more power and better fuel economy to the stock ECU then they would have.

Is it worse emissions?
Or more wear on components?
Or something else ...?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #286
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hri_s View Post
What's the downside to doing this? I assume that if BMW could have coded in more power and better fuel economy to the stock ECU then they would have.

Is it worse emissions?
Or more wear on components?
Or something else ...?
They do "code" more power.

What do you think the difference is between a BMW 116d and 120d? Or a 320i and 330i? The engine is the same and the difference is mainly in software.

The benefit? Improved drivability, more power and torque potentially less fuel consumption (think more torque so less need to shift between gears, more power means more efficient acceleration to motorway speed for example)

The downside? More strain on components in theory (but not to a level where they would fail unless you are real unlucky)
Appreciate 0