AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Do you the radar cruise control? Maybe you need to have that system? Not sure
Yes I do have highest tier of Driver Assistance package, there's no option above of what I already got. My cruise control adjusts to the car ahead when I use it. I will use energy flow next time to see what it says. Perhaps it's not always behaving this way.

EDIT: Just tried - same behavior regardless of cars ahead of me at the lights. Energy flow keeps saying "Ready to drive" after the car ahead left.

Last edited by AustinV; 08-13-2019 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #24
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Im not sure if I should start a new thread. I just got my G06 a few days ago and the auto start/stop is very annoying. I know there is a button to turn it off but it doesn’t look like it is permanent, meaning that I will have to press the button again the next time I start the car from a cold start.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #25
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
Im not sure if I should start a new thread. I just got my G06 a few days ago and the auto start/stop is very annoying. I know there is a button to turn it off but it doesn’t look like it is permanent, meaning that I will have to press the button again the next time I start the car from a cold start.
That's right. It's one of the first things many people on this forum code through BimmerCode. Super easy and may be worth the cost of the app plus equipment for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #26
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

I absolutely DESPISE the auto start/stop feature. It was the first thing I coded off when I was learning Bimmercode.

One thing I do like however, is the hold feature when in traffic. Once you stop, you dont have to keep your foot on the brake. Love that one.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #27
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I absolutely DESPISE the auto start/stop feature. It was the first thing I coded off when I was learning Bimmercode.

One thing I do like however, is the hold feature when in traffic. Once you stop, you dont have to keep your foot on the brake. Love that one.
I like the AutoHold feature too, just wish they implemented it more like Mercedes does. On Mercedes you just push down the brake harder and it activates it, instead of activating it automatically. AutoHold is a PIA if you're trying to creep up on things, like when parallel parking, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #28
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx5 View Post
Nice catch! I usually disable this within 2 seconds of starting the car, but purposely left it on yesterday and it did restart the engine as the car in front of me pulled away.
+1

I'm usually in sport mode but I drove in comfort and noticed the engine kick in everytime the car in front moved off. I had autohold active at the time so that isn't a factor in the behaviour of this system. Unsure why its not working for some.

Nice feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #29
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
...I had autohold active at the time so that isn't a factor in the behaviour of this system. Unsure why its not working for some.
Perhaps the Auto-H being active is the reason the engine starts up when a car pulls off in front of you. Next time you're out...turn it off (Auto-H) for a brief moment...and see if the behavior changes to where you have to lift your foot off the brake for the engine to restart. Report back your findings.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #30
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Perhaps the Auto-H being active is the reason the engine starts up when a car pulls off in front of you. Next time you're out...turn it off (Auto-H) for a brief moment...and see if the behavior changes to where you have to lift your foot off the brake for the engine to restart. Report back your findings.
I will try it next time and let you know how it works in my car.

But TurtleBoy said it worked for him with autohold turned off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Just to cover both situations, I do not use the auto hold and the engine will start when my foot is still pressing the brake and the car in front of me moves.

I was curious as to whether the X5 had this feature so purposely stayed on the brake when the car in front of me started moving.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
No, the starting is there whether auto-hold or not. I never use auto-hold since I find it very aggravating and my car always starts when the one in front starts moving,
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #32
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by THinthedesert View Post
I understand government mandated requirements for this Start / Stop design for efficiency and/or emission issues; however, the issue that I don’t think they are considering is a safety issue. It is very possible any of us could be in traffic trying to navigate an intersection or such, that has cars coming from many different directions, waiting to cross a train track, etc., and low & behold the car won’t start due to a dead battery. My experience has been that batteries don’t normally give much of a warning when they’re about to die and no longer be able to make the starter motor function. Having a dead battery when I go to start my car in my garage when I want to leave is a big enough inconvenience, but it’s not a safety issue.

I have a 2020 X5 on order, and my intention is every time I get in that car I will push the button to defeat that Start / Stop function. I want to know the engine is running & ready to go when I push on the accelerator pedal.

Obviously this is not at all a BMW design that I'm blaming them for, I just think in general it's not well thought out and I'm glad I'll be able to defeat it.
I think this hypothetical is not considering that the car itself disables the auto off feature with feedback via the battery connection. The characteristics of a 12V DC battery are not like Lithium batteries where there is a rapid drop in charge that's more difficult to predict. Draw can determine health and not leave you stranded. I digress but even with electric cars and their lithium makeup, engineers thought of that by only ever allowing the user access to 80% of the charge capability.

If your BMW senses a weak battery store/capacity, the auto off won't work at all. This would kick in long before you find yourself with the series of unfortunate events that you described.

Last edited by Skilly; 03-18-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
mobilejo1110.00
volodp196.50
      03-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #33
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
That's right. It's one of the first things many people on this forum code through BimmerCode. Super easy and may be worth the cost of the app plus equipment for you.
I've had my X6 now for 5 days and have trained myself and have accepted the fact that starting the vehicle is now a 2 step process. Push the start button then push the off button directly above it. Frustration eliminated.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #34
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I've had my X6 now for 5 days and have trained myself and have accepted the fact that starting the vehicle is now a 2 step process. Push the start button then push the off button directly above it. Frustration eliminated.
For some it's a 3 step process. Start --> ASS off --> Adaptive. Now with the newest version of Bimmercode it's all setup to start that way by default.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #35
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Volvo S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by THinthedesert View Post
I understand government mandated requirements for this Start / Stop design for efficiency and/or emission issues; however, the issue that I don’t think they are considering is a safety issue. It is very possible any of us could be in traffic trying to navigate an intersection or such, that has cars coming from many different directions, waiting to cross a train track, etc., and low & behold the car won’t start due to a dead battery. My experience has been that batteries don’t normally give much of a warning when they’re about to die and no longer be able to make the starter motor function. Having a dead battery when I go to start my car in my garage when I want to leave is a big enough inconvenience, but it’s not a safety issue.
I've used start/stop since I first had it on my old Volvo V60 in 2015. It works seamlessly in the X5. Using my Volvo On Call app which tracks MPG on each of your trips, I tested to see if start/stop was actually effective in saving gas. I tested by simply using it on one day and one day not using it. To my surprise I got better substantially better gas mileage on the day I did use it. So I keep the feature on.

However, like you said I do believe it can be sort of dangerous in some situations. In my current S60 I often use Eco+ to try and get the best fuel economy I can (I like to make it into a game). When Eco+ is active the engine shuts off at about 6 mph or so when you're decelerating to a stop. One day I was decelerating to a stoplight and the engine shut off. However, the light immediately turned green and I let my foot off the brake and the car started to spazz. It turned the engine back one before shutting off completely. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree for 5 seconds then the car prompted me to restart it. I was still in drive though. So I had to put the gear lever in park and then press the start button. Meanwhile, the traffic behind me thinks I'm not paying attention and starts honking at me. Not only was it embarrassing but a bit unsettling. That was a while ago and I didn't use start/stop for a while. I still use but know that there's situations where you should deactivate it.

I'm not sure about the X5 but I know Volvo has a separate starter battery that it used just for start/stop. If the voltage isn't high enough in that one then the system won't activate.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #36
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
There is one more interesting start stop trick, which people are not aware of.

If system decides not to turn off the engine when you stop (after a few stop and go-s), you can force it to by firmly pressing the brake.
just tried this today. thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #37
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Always in the past, when I wanted to quit the ASS feature I would just press the button on the console and the engine would start and continue running. Now, that button has no effect at all. Is it possible that certain settings force the engine to stop at all stops?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #38
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Always in the past, when I wanted to quit the ASS feature I would just press the button on the console and the engine would start and continue running. Now, that button has no effect at all. Is it possible that certain settings force the engine to stop at all stops?

On the F series BMWs...if you select Eco Pro mode...ASS always comes on. Does the same thing occur with the G series BMWs?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-22-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #39
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
I can't figure out what I did wrong. Always in the past, when I wanted to quit the ASS feature I would just press the button on the console and the engine would start and continue running. Now, that button has no effect at all. Is it possible that certain settings force the engine to stop at all stops?

On the F series BMWs...if you select Eco Pro mode...ASS always comes on. Does the same thing occur with the G series BMWs?
Yes. You can turn it off after changing to ECO mode, but ECO always changes to ASS enabled. Coded ASS memory doesn't have any effect on this either.
      03-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #40
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Yes. You can turn it off after changing to ECO mode, but ECO always changes to ASS enabled. Coded ASS memory doesn't have any effect on this either.
Thanks...same thing for f series, too. If ASS is coded off as default...it doesn’t apply if you select Eco Pro...it will automatically turn ASS back on.

So the question to polychromatic is to find out if you are using EP mode...which could be causing ASS to turn on by default?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #41
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So the question to polychromatic is to find out if you are using EP mode...which could be causing ASS to turn on by default?
So, I’m still not sure if it was selected in “individual” or not, but I reverted back to default. We’ll see tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #42
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: Well, no effect by changing selection Eco-Pro to default coding. I could not get any response by pressing the ASS on/off button. Then while I was driving I just reached down and put my finger on it an low and behold it switched to ASS-OFF. HOWEVER, I could not get it to ASS-ON again no matter how hard or where I pressed. Do I have a faulty button?
Appreciate 0