BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

Any way to increase the lowbeam headlight intensity?

I have the 2019 G05 with the laser lights (which is cool), but I have to say the lowbeam headlights are underwhelming considering there are 4 (FOUR) of them I would expect the beam intensity to be much brighter and crisper.

My previous 2017 X5 had the LED headlight upgrade and I believe those lights (although LED reflective) shined much brighter than these projector lamps. Did I say there are 4 (FOUR) of them?

I was then thinking maybe US regulations may have crippled the brightness/intensity in some way and possibly the European versions have better lighting than we do in the US.

If that is the case, is there anyway to code the headlights to be brighter? There has to be something.

I'm just not happy with these headlights. Having a "laserlights" emboldened on the headlamps should warrant at least an industry leading headlight system with ultra bright lowbeam lighting.

This is just disappointing the way it is now.

Appreciate any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:17 AM   #2
jwtw20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 MSport 45e

I am in the UK and have Laserlights on my G05 and they are quite simply the best headlights I've ever experienced. The are so bright I've been flashed a few times on country roads when on low beam that people think they are on high beam 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:00 AM   #3
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverx View Post
I have the 2019 G05 with the laser lights (which is cool), but I have to say the lowbeam headlights are underwhelming considering there are 4 (FOUR) of them I would expect the beam intensity to be much brighter and crisper.
I got to disagree.
I find it nice and bright with excellent distribution.
No complaints at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Quote:

My previous 2017 X5 had the LED headlight upgrade and I believe those lights (although LED reflective) shined much brighter than these projector lamps. Did I say there are 4 (FOUR) of them?

I was then thinking maybe US regulations may have crippled the brightness/intensity in some way and possibly the European versions have better lighting than we do in the US.

If that is the case, is there anyway to code the headlights to be brighter? There has to be something.

I'm just not happy with these headlights. Having a "laserlights" emboldened on the headlamps should warrant at least an industry leading headlight system with ultra bright lowbeam lighting.

Appreciate any feedback.
Really. My low beam are so bright. So impressed. I wish the laser lights were a bit brighter though. They are bright but i think i still need a good light bar for country Australian roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
alienstudio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP | G05 X5 40i

Quote:

Appreciate any feedback.
I had the led headlight on my F15 X5 and comparing to my current laser headlight, the hue is different, the current one has more of a blue hue. The projecting angle seemed a bit wider as I see more with the same neighborhood street that's I've been traveling on.
      03-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:

Appreciate any feedback.
In my experience, reflector LEDs tend to be brighter directly in front of you. Projector LEDs put down the light more evenly. My JL Wrangler has reflector LEDs and they're definitely brighter than the (projector) LEDs in my X7.

I'd be surprised if there was any sort of easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 04:04 AM   #7
Sqz
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 45e

I would say the leds on my CX-5 are quite good...
But compared to the X5, it`s like night and day

Best lights I`ve experinced so far
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:41 AM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

At times I thought mine weren't as bright as they should be but I think that was because the high beams are so outstanding that there is a huge difference between the two. After realizing that, the illumination from the low beams is fine although a little less than optimal in some situations according to the IIHS.

As an aside, the non-laser low beams are much brighter to they point that they received a poor rating from the IIHS due to glare.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Low beam in Laserlights and LED's is the same thing. Laserlights only kick in above 37mph if I recall and I find my Adaptive LED's as good as those on my old G30 (and they were fantastic)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Low beam in Laserlights and LED's is the same thing. Laserlights only kick in above 37mph if I recall and I find my Adaptive LED's as good as those on my old G30 (and they were fantastic)

That is not correct or are at least not clear/confusing. The low beams in the non-laser headlights are different than the low beams in the laser headlight assembly.

Edit: For clarity, we are talking about the headlight options available in the US, and I think Canada, since other countries have some different options.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 03-29-2020 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:36 AM   #11
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

That is not correct or are at least not clear/confusing. The low beams in the non-laser headlights are different than the low beams in the laser headlight assembly.

Edit: For clarity, we are talking about the headlight options available in the US, and I think Canada, since other countries have some different options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

Pretty sure that that is correct as the Low Beam in Laserlights is LED based on only high beams are actually Laserlights.

This has been covered multiple times on forums
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure that that is correct as the Low Beam in Laserlights is LED based on only high beams are actually Laserlights.

No, that is not correct and/or you are missing the point. We are not talking about high beams or the laser functionality that comes on over 37MPH but rather the low beams. There is a difference between the low beams in the laser and non-laser headlight assemblies and a reason why the non-lasers are rated as a Poor by the IIHS.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...019#headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:

The Laserlights use 2 projectors for low beam, the adaptive LED only use 1 projector.

There must be a difference in the projectors used in the lasers for low beam, vs the projector used in the LED lights for low beam. Otherwise the lasers would have double the low beam power of the LED.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
The Laserlights use 2 projectors for low beam, the adaptive LED only use 1 projector.

[IMG]https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1557017602[/IMG]

There must be a difference in the projectors used in the lasers for low beam, vs the projector used in the LED lights for low beam. Otherwise the lasers would have double the low beam power of the LED.
You realize that a single projector low beam LED can project the same amount of light as two LED reflectors low beams in the upgraded Icon adaptive LED headlights with Laserlight. Just because there's two doesn't mean they have double the low beam LED power.

The two reflector LED in the Icon headlamps produced a more even distribution of light versus the standard single projector LEDs - which for the OP seemed low.

Coming from my F15 with upgraded adaptive full LED with double low beam LED reflectors and high beams, my G05 with Icon's output seemed lower in comparison. But I'm fine with it as it performs quite well.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #15
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
You realize that a single projector low beam LED can project the same amount of light as two LED reflectors low beams in the upgraded Icon adaptive LED headlights with Laserlight. Just because there's two doesn't mean they have double the low beam LED power.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. Perhaps my wording was unclear.

"There must be a difference in the projectors used in the lasers for low beam, vs the projector used in the LED lights for low beam. Otherwise the lasers would have double the low beam power of the LED."

By that I mean, the lasers DO NOT have double the low beam power of the LED lights, so there must be a difference in the projectors being used.
Appreciate 0