BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #23
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolie View Post
Hi, Did your problem get solved? I have the same symptoms and can also feel vibration through steering wheel on tick over.

I've had it back to BMW they have did countless tests and changed front pulley and it's still the same. Seems to get smoother once engine is warm. Car is G05 M50D
Nope, I didn't even take it in. It's not always there at low speed either. It's kinda annoying because the car is super quiet most of the time and then there's this. It's almost like the turbo lag is causing this... since it's at low rpm.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #24
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Just adding myself to this list - G06 X6 40i - mild vibrations in floor area only from engine at idle (sometimes), when pulling off especially up hill, low speed manoeuvring like parking and reversing when steering wheel is turned.

Also vibrations in same foot area when driving over not-so smooth roads even when car is in neutral and just rolling down a hill.

In my car at least, as I get it from the engine AND the road, I figure something is not as insulated as it should be, allowing any external vibrations to be felt more than they should be in the floor of the car.
The first scenario is what bothers me... at low speed, maneuvering in parking lots. It makes the otherwise almost perfect experience kinda like meh..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
The first scenario is what bothers me... at low speed, maneuvering in parking lots. It makes the otherwise almost perfect experience kinda like meh..
I had a very similar issue that was especially prevalent when turning the wheel as in backing out of or into a parking space but also just before coming to a complete stop at a red light/stop sign. Turned out to be the fluid in my transfer case. Once changed, the problem never came back. This was on my X3, BMW diagnosed it and changed the fluid. The shop foreman drove the car, I rode as a passenger and we did lock to lock turning circles in his parking lot, I think he knew what it was once he felt it for himself.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #26
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I had a very similar issue that was especially prevalent when turning the wheel as in backing out of or into a parking space but also just before coming to a complete stop at a red light/stop sign. Turned out to be the fluid in my transfer case. Once changed, the problem never came back. This was on my X3, BMW diagnosed it and changed the fluid. The shop foreman drove the car, I rode as a passenger and we did lock to lock turning circles in his parking lot, I think he knew what it was once he felt it for himself.
Interesting take. I'll keep an eye on it but I rarely get to drive anymore with this COVID-19 thing...

What exactly was wrong with the fluid that caused this?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #27
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
Interesting take. I'll keep an eye on it but I rarely get to drive anymore with this COVID-19 thing...

What exactly was wrong with the fluid that caused this?
I don't know the root cause of the fluid issue and was surprised when the shop foreman said he thought that was the reason for the vibration/shudder. The car was under warranty so it didn't matter to me what he did, I knew that in the end the warranty would cover whatever the solution turned out to be. To go a bit deeper in this story, the same service center first disconnected the electrical cable that connects to the transfer case and then took it out for a drive and the vibration was gone so they replaced the transfer case. That worked for about a week! When the vibration returned, I brought it back and they changed the fluid after talking with someone over the phone, don't know who they called. The fluid change did the trick, its been vibration free now for 40K miles. So, was it the viscosity? Fluid makeup? Brand of fluid? Dunno, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #28
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I had the same issue and pointed it out to my service people when I took it in for oil and all...I guess there's nothing BMW is acknowledging...yet, but I would definitely go get it documented. I guess my service department has seen a slew of similar complaints with the X5/X6/X7...no "official fix", but trying to protect myself down the road if it becomes a bigger issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #29
m.tym
Rep
Drives: BMW f30

I disabled the transfer box(VTG) today through the official diagnostic program (ISTA). The vibration is gone! As soon as I switched the transfer box(VTG) back to normal mode, the vibration reappeared. I think you need to change the oil in the transfer case(VTG) and check the oil level.
Appreciate 2
mobilejo1113.00
XMan9.00
      04-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #30
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.tym View Post
I disabled the transfer box(VTG) today through the official diagnostic program (ISTA). The vibration is gone! As soon as I switched the transfer box(VTG) back to normal mode, the vibration reappeared. I think you need to change the oil in the transfer case(VTG) and check the oil level.
This is very interesting. A few different vibrations have been described in this thread. Which vibration did you eliminate by doing this?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #31
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
This is very interesting. A few different vibrations have been described in this thread. Which vibration did you eliminate by doing this?
I would also love to know the answer to this - We finally have some potential progress. This could be big!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #32
DRdriver
Rep
Drives: 09 E70

I experienced similar vibrations to the ones described here on a non-BMW SUV several years ago. A transfer case swap definitely fixed the issue.

The posts of Marty in NY and m.tym seem to go on the same direction. It would be great to see if somebody on a sDrive G05 feels those vibrations too.

If on the sDrive the vibrations are not present at all, you got the answer guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:41 PM   #33
cesimeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 MSport, 2018 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRdriver View Post
I experienced similar vibrations to the ones described here on a non-BMW SUV several years ago. A transfer case swap definitely fixed the issue.

The posts of Marty in NY and m.tym seem to go on the same direction. It would be great to see if somebody on a sDrive G05 feels those vibrations too.

If on the sDrive the vibrations are not present at all, you got the answer guys.
This was going to be my question....everyone talking X or Sdrives?

XDrive....especially previously mentioned in lock to lock scenarios....binding....4-wheels fighting each other. Should it happen...no..does it...yes. Not sure how the fluid would fix it....possibly a different weight. I'm no scientist.

All my X5s have been Sdrive. Don't need the extra 2 in South Florida. My best friend is a BMW Master Tech....he told me about BMW having issues with drive shaft balancing causing this vibration people are speaking of here. Happening under acceleration and heavier "load" such as hard acceleration on an uphill on-ramp, a shudder and a helicopter like noise. This was a couple years back when he told me about a couple F15s he noticed this problem in. I never experienced this personally but he's got 10+ years with multiple BMW dealers and a BMW racing team. I believe him.

Anybody else heard of this?
      04-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #34
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesimeone View Post

XDrive....especially previously mentioned in lock to lock scenarios....binding....4-wheels fighting each other. Should it happen...no..does it...yes. Not sure how the fluid would fix it....possibly a different weight. I'm no scientist.

All my X5s have been Sdrive. Don't need the extra 2 in South Florida. My best friend is a BMW Master Tech....he told me about BMW having issues with drive shaft balancing causing this vibration people are speaking of here. Happening under acceleration and heavier "load" such as hard acceleration on an uphill on-ramp, a shudder and a helicopter like noise. This was a couple years back when he told me about a couple F15s he noticed this problem in. I never experienced this personally but he's got 10+ years with multiple BMW dealers and a BMW racing team. I believe him.

This topic has morphed a bit. The OP (X5_CC) said..."I've noticed while accelerating hard, there's a minor vibration or shudder through the car. It's most noticeable in second gear at full throttle." Others chimed in with the same issue but karateboi87 posted that his was at parking lot speed, which mine was as well so that's when I first posted. Seems to be two separate issues but don't know if they both share the same root cause.

The G01 X3 forum also complained about vibrations felt at the steering wheel when going through 50-55mph and once the car reached an ave mileage of 5,000. Dealers tried everything they knew but could not resolve it on those cars that had it...not all G01's experienced it. Though AFAIK, root cause was not reported, the closest cause was leading to a design misalignment somewhere in the rear drivetrain (differential, differential welded mounting points and output shafts). One dealer, I think in Florida, loosened all the bolts securing the rear drivetrain components, let the components resettle and tightened them back up. They many also have drilled new mounting holes but I can't seem to recall off hand for sure. That seemed to have resolved that owners vibrations.

In the meantime, dealers were replacing plenty of left and right output shafts which gave the owner a temporary fix till they hit another 5,000 miles at which point the vibration returned. Plenty of wheels were being balanced, alignments done, all sorts of thing but nothing seemed to resolve the issue. Some owners got BMW to buy their car back. Just go to the G01 forum and search for "steering wheel vibration". The thread seemed to die but at last count, issues were reported on both the M40i and the 30i, mostly 2018 models but also on some 2019's.

My issue was different than X5_CC's, more like karateboi87, as I posted already. However, for those with the X drive (transfer case), its a simple test to disable the transfer case and test drive the car. If S Drive owners are having this vibration issue, it's a different story as they don't have a transfer case so then one starts thinking about drive line components and their couplings, not wheels and tires because you can drive through rotational vibrations caused by an out of balance issue but such is not the case with acceleration issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #35
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesimeone View Post

This is definitely very interesting perspective. To add to my story, my garage is indeed at a slope (It's a condo garage so it wraps around the center of the building, every level is basically at 15 degrees or something). I'd say it's more noticeable in my garage if I'm stopped and start to get going, matching that "hard load" theory. However, being in a small garage I'm definitely not giving it much gas. It's just the moment of going from completely stop to 5mph. Now it does happen on flat parking lot too, but definitely doesn't feel as often.

And yes I have XDrive, as I assume the vast majority of owners here do (except those in Florida, Texas, SoCal, etc).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #36
yachtmaster78
Rep
Drives: BMW G06 30d

BMW X6 G06 vibration 2nd gear

I got my brand new X6 30d just a week ago and I notice the same vibration when accelerating in 2nd gear as some of others described in this thread. In 1st or 3rd gear very smooth, only in 2nd and only when accelerating at 3/4 or stronger throttle. Has anyone got some fresh information on this? Is it "normal" or is there a fix to this?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #37
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
I have a 20 sdrive and i feel vibrations thru the STEERING WHEEL and not the car. It feels like a shudder that shoots to the steering wheel.

Yes it only happens when i accelerate(i want to say around 30-40mph, never purposely tried to duplicate the issue) and has never happened on slowing down whether braking or cruising. It only lasts for half a second, maybe one second if that.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #38
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2024, Mustang MACH 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscross View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
I have experienced the same thing. The vibration does not last long and I wouldn't call it severe but it's noticeable and I'd rather it not be there. I thought it was 3rd gear but it could be 2nd, same RPM mentioned here and it doesn't need to be 'hard' acceleration for this to happen in my G05. To me it seems like maybe a trans issue because the same RPM in other gears is OK eliminating the engine in my mind? Keep us posted.
Same here, M50d G06! It sounds more like a smooth grind than a vibration. A friend of mine called it a woosh of air, to me it sounds like a ball is rolling from one side to another inside the gas tank. Noticable at mild acceleration only, M50d exhaust sound covers it otherwise.
Small update on this, the more miles I do with it, the less it happens (or I notice it less and less). I was also suspecting the exhaust tip cover vibration for a while, since it's obviously connected to certain rpm range. Still not sure what it is, but when I took it in BMW says all is good, no issue, only M50d exhaust. Ah well...
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #39
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
The first time I noticed it was during a launch run. I was very noticeable as you could feel it going from smooth to the vibration. Almost felt like something was wrong. I have launched it 3 other times and never noticed it.

I have an M50i Xdrive. Not sure if anyone else is feeling it when they do a launch.

I will now be feeling for it under no launch acceleration.

I do not have any of the vibrations at low speeds or turning, as mentioned by other posts.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 08:34 PM   #40
R34L15T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 30d M Sport

Just recently been having the same issue as some of you guys have experienced.

I feel the car shakes ever so slightly when moving off - especially between the 10-30mph range, around the 3/4k rpm.

I have a oil service and vehicle check service coming up soon, did the transfer case oil change fixed the issue for most?
Appreciate 1
okarch4.00
      01-13-2023, 08:27 AM   #41
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

My 2019 had the vibration when accelerating through ~28-32mph. Last month the dealer replaced the transfer case fluid with what I understand is an alternate spec. fluid BMW recommended. For the first week or so there was no change but now I think there's a noticeable improvement.

Last edited by gofast182; 01-13-2023 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 01:41 PM   #42
nep4ik
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50I

I have 2019 BMW X5 50i. I bought it at about 42k ans had summer 22' Continentals. Closer to winter time I bought Pirelli Scorpion. Same 22' since it was pain in the #ss to find winter rims.
I started feeling the same Vibration/Shuttering NOT right away. First I thought I got some kind of dirt in my wheels. But after I noticed it startes on warm engine. Seems Like it's messing with me.
It replicates the problem On 2nd or 3rd gear...Specifically when accelerating.
Since this post was created 2 years ago or so I assume it will be cheaper/wiser to do thw following:
1. Alignment
2. Transfer case fluid exchange
3. Maybe some type of Calibration but dealers are stupid.. We will spend at least $300 for God knows what technician for "could not replicate the problem"
I will try to explain it to BMW or will complain to BMW headquarters... This is ruining the whole "Ultimate driving machine experience"..
For those who's reading it in 2023.. You are not alone
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 10:07 PM   #43
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Guibo?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 05:38 PM   #44
R34L15T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 30d M Sport

Quick update.

So had a major service done at an indy last week and told them to change the transmission oil.

The shudder has now gone completely! So if anyone is having any issues as such, maybe try this option. I think it was just under £150 for parts/labour!