BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
First BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 on order

Automatic Braking

Does the new X5 have the automatic braking when you get too close an object ?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

It has front and rear emergency braking.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by First BMW View Post
Does the new X5 have the automatic braking when you get too close an object ?
No. It has collision avoidance at city speed and high speed collision avoidance in the “Driving Assistance Plus” package. As far as the X5 applying brakes in the parking lot from tapping into obsticals, No.
Appreciate 1
AKhome4.50
      01-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
First BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
No. It has collision avoidance at city speed and high speed collision avoidance in the “Driving Assistance Plus” package. As far as the X5 applying brakes in the parking lot from tapping into obsticals, No.
I was asking since I am coming from a Lexus Rx350 and whenever in the parking lot if i got to a car to close it would brake for me avoiding the collision at lower speeds...so I was curious if the new X5 had that as well
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by First BMW View Post
I was asking since I am coming from a Lexus Rx350 and whenever in the parking lot if i got to a car to close it would brake for me avoiding the collision at lower speeds...so I was curious if the new X5 had that as well
My last vehicle had it as well. I honestly can’t believe the BMW X5 doesn’t offer this common feature. I did the test with my daughters pop-up Barbie tent in my drive way and the alarms go off when getting close but no brake intervention.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
My last vehicle had it as well. I honestly can’t believe the BMW X5 doesn’t offer this common feature. I did the test with my daughters pop-up Barbie tent in my drive way and the alarms go off when getting close but no brake intervention.
Did you test the Barbie tent both forwards and backwards?
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

I was going to ask the same question. We have a q7 and it wont let you get into an accident. it has helped several times and will come up with a big triangle if its getting ready. I have seen no indicators on my x5 that there is anything there. Odd considering the cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
First BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
I was going to ask the same question. We have a q7 and it wont let you get into an accident. it has helped several times and will come up with a big triangle if its getting ready. I have seen no indicators on my x5 that there is anything there. Odd considering the cost.
not only the cost but it has so much more electronics and features...why not that feature
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx5 View Post
Did you test the Barbie tent both forwards and backwards?
Yes. I also told this to my CA and he couldn’t believe it so we did test in the parking lot. He stood behind the x5 as I backed up and I tapped him. We tried this test several more times and I hit him every time. This means if you left your kids bicycle behind the vehicle or there’s a kid standing back there and you’re not paying attention to the screen or the warning beeps you’re going to hit them.?????

You might want to put a cardboard box with a towel over it and try this yourself at low speed. Backing out, your vehicle should/may apply auto braking. Since no one has actually seen this feature work I am skeptical.

UPDATE: Just called genius vehicle should automatically stop in these situations. He recommends me taking my vehicle for service thing for this feature? So I would test your systems in a similar way perhaps this is a bug.. Genius says if you have “Automatoc PDC activated” it should brake automatically. The issue I see is this “Automatic PDC activation” shows on the menus as activating parking view when approaching an obstacle at low speed.. My vehicle does that but doesn’t mention anything about a auto brake activation, just a camera operation.
Something isn’t adding up.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-08-2019 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
I know in Audi and VW, this "brake maneuvering features" must be disabled if you have a hitch-mounted bike rack, or the vehicle constantly brakes when trying to reverse. I for one am glad it doesn't brake on the X5, as I would have turned it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I also told this to my CA and he couldn’t believe it so we did test in the parking lot. He stood behind the x5 as I backed up and I tapped him. We tried this test several more times and I hit him every time. This means if you left your kids bicycle behind the vehicle or there’s a kid standing back there and you’re not paying attention to the screen or the warning beeps you’re going to hit them.?????

You might want to put a cardboard box with a towel over it and try this yourself at low speed. Backing out, your vehicle should/may apply auto braking. Since no one has actually seen this feature work I am skeptical.

UPDATE: Just called genius vehicle should automatically stop in these situations. He recommends me taking my vehicle for service thing for this feature? So I would test your systems in a similar way perhaps this is a bug.. Genius says if you have “Automatoc PDC activated” it should brake automatically. The issue I see is this “Automatic PDC activation” shows on the menus as activating parking view when approaching an obstacle at low speed.. My vehicle does that but doesn’t mention anything about a auto brake activation, just a camera operation.
So they are saying it should work this way in both forward and reverse? I was aware the car had auto emergency braking while moving forward, but have never seen anything about reverse. Did you get your CA to stand in front of the car as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx5 View Post
So they are saying it should work this way in both forward and reverse? I was aware the car had auto emergency braking while moving forward, but have never seen anything about reverse. Did you get your CA to stand in front of the car as well?
No, just stand behind the X5 but neither direction stopped with the tent. I have used this size tent with other vehicles and it does trigger the braking system with those. I am asking my CA to test another X5 off the lot and see if it has emergency braking. I am not sure anyone actually knows if this feature is active. This is why I test this stuff out. Perhaps a few forum members need to test theirs. Its kinda important to know what it does in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #13
First BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
No, just stand behind the X5 but neither direction stopped with the tent. I have used this size tent with other vehicles and it does trigger the braking system with those. I am asking my CA to test another X5 off the lot and see if it has emergency braking. I am not sure anyone actually knows if this feature is active. This is why I test this stuff out. Perhaps a few forum members need to test theirs. Its kinda important to know what it does in this situation.
please keep us posted...I am curious to know
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

On the Q7 I have triggered this auto braking couple of times and both times it was a false alarm. Better be safe than sorry and I really appreciate this feature. I assumed the X5 should have it too. Does the user manual provide any details on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #15
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post
On the Q7 I have triggered this auto braking couple of times and both times it was a false alarm. Better be safe than sorry and I really appreciate this feature. I assumed the X5 should have it too. Does the user manual provide any details on this?
Nope. It's very cryptic on brake intervention.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #16
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Is this it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep

Here it is in action in the Euro crash tests. I haven't read anything about it functioning when in reverse though.

Appreciate 2
sygazelle11329.50
alexder14.00
      01-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Those test are at higher than parking lot speeds. We are using the low speed parking system that relies on the sonar proximity warning. This system was designed to reduce low speed bumps in parking lots. It is now used on a lot of lower mid range cars because the system only requires a sonar based system to detect an object obstruction.

Our significantly more sophisticated system uses a camera base that actually highlights each obstruction on screen and works in tandem with the sonar system with a series of beeps. What we are not seeing is our system actually applying an emergency brake if you get too close to a object while parking.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-08-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #19
RJC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:

I've been noticing more that these geniuses vary from dealer to dealer and some are not aware of basic features...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #20
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Easiest identification is to take a cardboard box or couch cushion out behind your vehicle or in front of your vehicle at a distance of about 10 feet. Start your vehicle up and slowly proceed towards it as if it were a obstical. Don’t touch the brakes and see if the vehicle stops. Obviously use a towel or soft item so if your bumper touches it, it won’t cause any harm. I have always used a kids pop-up play tent.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #21
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

No braking when reserve. You get alert.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I've been noticing more that these geniuses vary from dealer to dealer and some are not aware of basic features...
Agree, that title makes me laugh. Some I spoke to did not even know some of the basics. I was aware of more things just by reading this forum. Perhaps part of their job should be to read this forum 1 hour a day
Appreciate 0