BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
Pete7_li
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

"Trunk Open" Message When the Trunk is Closed

Hi all - has anyone else seen the "Trunk Open" message when starting the engine/driving off, but the upper part is actually closed? I noticed this happening at random in the last week or so; can't seem to pinpoint exactly when it happens - but this morning it was after I opened it with my foot, then closed it with the button at the top, then starting the engine.

Not sure if it's a software issue (still on .35) considering the various bugs folks have had or if it's a wiring/latch/sensor hardware type of thing. I've had it just a few days shy of a month - love the X5 (other than the occasional software glitches like CarPlay, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Not experienced this but sounds like a switch/sensor issue to me. Might need adjusting - take it to the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7_li View Post
Hi all - has anyone else seen the "Trunk Open" message when starting the engine/driving off, but the upper part is actually closed? I noticed this happening at random in the last week or so; can't seem to pinpoint exactly when it happens - but this morning it was after I opened it with my foot, then closed it with the button at the top, then starting the engine.

Not sure if it's a software issue (still on .35) considering the various bugs folks have had or if it's a wiring/latch/sensor hardware type of thing. I've had it just a few days shy of a month - love the X5 (other than the occasional software glitches like CarPlay, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
I have not (yet &#128526 experienced this on my G05, but have you cycled the rear gates (top and bottom) by hand? My F15 X5 35d had this issue once, and when I opened and then closed the bottom gate "vigorously" by hand (the only way on an F15 &#128526 the issue went away and I never saw it occur again.

Your issue could be something completely different, but I thought I'd share my F15 experience for your consideration.
      05-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Pete7_li
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I have not (yet &#128526 experienced this on my G05, but have you cycled the rear gates (top and bottom) by hand? My F15 X5 35d had this issue once, and when I opened and then closed the bottom gate "vigorously" by hand (the only way on an F15 &#128526 the issue went away and I never saw it occur again.

Your issue could be something completely different, but I thought I'd share my F15 experience for your consideration.
Will have to give that a try; thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0