BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #45
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Massive improvement for the GLE over the crappy ML/GLE it replaced.

In my experience (and many reviewers) BMW edges out Mercs in interior quality. And in my eyes the Bimmer is more attractive.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, this new X5 is boring to drive too. C&D is only praising it because the competitor is even more boring.

An E70 will stomp on ANY modern luxury SUV in the "fun" category, and it wouldn't even be close. Sad that there's no demand for such a "raw/connected" driving experience in this segment anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #46
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

In my experience (and many reviewers) BMW edges out Mercs in interior quality. And in my eyes the Bimmer is more attractive.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, this new X5 is boring to drive too. C&D is only praising it because the competitor is even more boring.

An E70 will stomp on ANY modern luxury SUV in the "fun" category, and it wouldn't even be close. Sad that there's no demand for such a "raw/connected" driving experience in this segment anymore.
Loved my e70. First BMW I ever owned. Drove like nothing else in that class and had such road presence. Unfortunately, the reliability wasn't great, especially after 80k miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:17 AM   #47
tkila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

I still have an e53 x5 4.4I and I am the original owner. Still drives like a dream and much sportier than the E70 and anything after it. That is why I have kept it for so long. Just test drove the new x5 40I with air suspension and was very disappointed. It doesn't ride that well with very pronounced body roll in the corner. The car feels it's about to tip over if you push it too hard in the corner. My aging E53 is much more planted and it is so much more fun to drive than any X5. The steering feel is improved, being a bit tighter compared to the last generation though but still not that great.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #48
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #49
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRL View Post
I'm actually surprised they said they liked the styling (inside and out) of the Mercedes over the BMW, the GLE is ugly. The X5 wins hands down IMO interior & exterior.
We are obviously biased in a BMW forum

Aesthetic is very subjective, but one has to remember that the GLE will likely continue to outsell the X5 in the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #50
Beefcake
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2021) / 428i (2014)

"Also, the Benz was said to have a better back seat."

Oh my... did the X5 not have the "comfort-wrinkels-by-design" then???

Couldn't resist... sorry...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #51
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post

Aesthetic is very subjective, but one has to remember that the GLE will likely continue to outsell the X5 in the US.
That will most likely be the case with this generation too because of the GLE 350 with the four-banger. That will get a lot of ppl into the segment that otherwise would not be able to afford it. In my opinion, the X5 40i compares more closely to the GLE 450. BMW does not have anything that compares with the GLE 350. So buyers who do not care about driving a woefully under powered SUV, but want the luxury image, will gravitate to the GLE 350.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #52
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRL View Post
I'm actually surprised they said they liked the styling (inside and out) of the Mercedes over the BMW, the GLE is ugly. The X5 wins hands down IMO interior & exterior.

Not necessarily, if a BMW looks like crap, it looks like crap and I'll voice that here. They need to hear that. I was not a fan of the previous gen 3 serious. Ugliest 3er ever produced and I voiced that many times.
      06-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #53
tqbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550

You simply can't beat the engine in the 4.0 if you are looking at a v6. It's reason enough to buy the car over the Mercedes.

I also think the x5 is much better looking in the outside. The front of the merc is almost identical to the outgoing model, as well as the side. Only real difference in the rear end, which I do like. But the front is so dated already in my option.

Love the new x5. It's the perfect suv for my family needs with my m5 as my toy when I am alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #54
tqbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

It's due to the steering. Steering can do so much for a car. I didn't mind the heavy steering and felt so amazing. But I do like the easy to maneuver new bmws at parking lot speeds. I can see why bmw made the change but when you want road feel, old steering was vastly better. Good news is that bmw is constantly improving the steering on newer cars. I still have an "older" bmw and the steering feel is simply amazing.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      06-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #55
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Interesting that the GLE in that 4 car comparo video looks larger than the X5 even though they spec out almost identical in dimensions.

And let's not get too biast on looks- the new X5 does not look much different than its predecessor either.
Appreciate 0