BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Interesting thing about auto start/stop

Ok I'm not entirely sure but I'm 99% sure that when I'm stopped and the engine turns off, it'll turn back on once the car in front of me starts moving; before touching the gas. Am I just imagining things?
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Ok I'm not entirely sure but I'm 99% sure that when I'm stopped and the engine turns off, it'll turn back on once the car in front of me starts moving; before touching the gas. Am I just imagining things?
No, you are correct. When it sees the car in front of you moving and you don't let off the brake, it will start the engine in anticipation of you moving.
Appreciate 3
omaralt771.50
jphcbpa313.00
      08-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

It’s very well possible because it’s logical to expect that car will now have to continue driving. And all technology and sensors are already there to support such anticipation in feature design. I will check with my car tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:47 AM   #4
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

There is one more interesting start stop trick, which people are not aware of.

If system decides not to turn off the engine when you stop (after a few stop and go-s), you can force it to by firmly pressing the brake.
Appreciate 2
eagle_bmw182.50
thereef5101165.00
      08-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
There is one more interesting start stop trick, which people are not aware of.

If system decides not to turn off the engine when you stop (after a few stop and go-s), you can force it to by firmly pressing the brake.
I found that last month while on vacation. This is my first auto stop/start system and so far been really impressed with how it works. It is very seamless and hard to tell it is even happening. I have had numerous passengers not even know it was stopping and starting.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I found that last month while on vacation. This is my first auto stop/start system and so far been really impressed with how it works. It is very seamless and hard to tell it is even happening. I have had numerous passengers not even know it was stopping and starting.
Agreed here, Auto Start / Stop is great implementation with G05, I don't understand those who is complaining it cannot be disabled permanently.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
No, you are correct. When it sees the car in front of you moving and you don't let off the brake, it will start the engine in anticipation of you moving.
This has NEVER, ever happened to me. My engine has only restarted (when the auto/stop feature has shut the engine off) under certain circumstances:
  1. I lift my foot off the brake
  2. One of the criteria has been met that requires the engine restarts due to electronic demands (AC or heat is running and is draining the battery, humidity levels inside the cabin are rising and the condensation sensor is turning on the condenser to dehumidify)

If your engines are restarting because the car in front of you has driven off...and your foot is still on the brake...how long is the interval before you take off? Is this happening after perhaps "dawdling" and you're kind of holding up traffic? (not trying to be funny...just trying to understand your experience because this has NEVER happened to me).

Again, the only time my engine restarts but my foot is still on the brake...only occurs when the electrical draw is starting to drain the battery. My car has never started when a vehicle in front of me has started to pull forward and my foot is still on the brake pedal. It only restarts when I lift my foot.

In regards to turning it off permenantly...I don't think I'd do that...even through coding...but I'd probably code the default mode to be off...then be able to turn it on during those driving situations where I actually desire it (to save fuel).

BTW, my tip for the day is...pushing the gear shift lever over into the sport mode position (to disable the auto engine shut off) when pulling into the garage so that I can find that sweet spot to be able to walk around the vehicle when parked in the garage. I hated it when I first got the car and the engine would shut off. For some reason, pushing the gear shift lever to the left is easier than reaching up to shut off the MSA button.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-11-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
This has NEVER, ever happened to me. My engine has only restarted (when the auto/stop feature has shut the engine off) under certain circumstances:
I didn't realize you had an G05, if so, you may want to get it checked as it is a standard feature of the start/stop system as far as I know. Audi has the same thing in their new models not sure about MB.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
THinthedesert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

I Consider the Start / Stop Function To Be a Safety Issue

I understand government mandated requirements for this Start / Stop design for efficiency and/or emission issues; however, the issue that I don’t think they are considering is a safety issue. It is very possible any of us could be in traffic trying to navigate an intersection or such, that has cars coming from many different directions, waiting to cross a train track, etc., and low & behold the car won’t start due to a dead battery. My experience has been that batteries don’t normally give much of a warning when they’re about to die and no longer be able to make the starter motor function. Having a dead battery when I go to start my car in my garage when I want to leave is a big enough inconvenience, but it’s not a safety issue.

I have a 2020 X5 on order, and my intention is every time I get in that car I will push the button to defeat that Start / Stop function. I want to know the engine is running & ready to go when I push on the accelerator pedal.

Obviously this is not at all a BMW design that I'm blaming them for, I just think in general it's not well thought out and I'm glad I'll be able to defeat it.

Last edited by THinthedesert; 08-11-2019 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THinthedesert View Post
I understand government mandated requirements for this Start / Stop design for efficiency and/or emission issues; however, the issue that I don’t think they are considering is a safety issue. It is very possible any of us could be in traffic trying to navigate an intersection or such, that has cars coming from many different directions, waiting to cross a train track, etc., and low & behold the car won’t start due to a dead battery. My experience has been that batteries don’t normally give much of a warning when they’re about to die and no longer be able to make the starter motor function. Having a dead battery when I go to start my car in mt garage when I want to leave is a big enough inconvenience, but it’s not a safety issue..

Obviously you have to do what makes you feel the safest but the odds of any of the above scenarios happening and it being an at risk situation are very, very small to the point of not being worth considering in my opinion. There should be numerous warnings if a battery is failing/low and I'm pretty sure it will not engage the stop/start system if the battery is in need of a charging.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
... my intention is every time I get in that car I will push the button to defeat that Start / Stop function. I want to know the engine is running & ready to go when I push on the accelerator pedal.
Unless you are on the racing track, Start / Stop is really barely noticeable and engine feels as ready to go without any delays. It takes fraction of a second to restart and picks up immediately. If you need that much of a precision just drive in SPORT mode when Start / Stop is off all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I have a 2020 X5 on order, and my intention is every time I get in that car I will push the button to defeat that Start / Stop function. I want to know the engine is running & ready to go when I push on the accelerator pedal.
Paid BimmerCode app and correct OBDII interface will cure the need to press the ASS button, and a number of other annoyances now and, hopefully, many more in the future.

For the record, I am with you on the ASS function for stated, long term wear/tear/reliability, and sport driving style reasons. But to each his own. In that context, what I won't tolerate in a society I live in, however, is lack of individual choice. Those that want to use it, should have it. Those that don't want it, should be able to disable it. The stock implementation makes disabling inconvenient (and easy to forget every time) and that's wrong.
      08-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
  1. I lift my foot off the brake
  2. One of the criteria has been met that requires the engine restarts due to electronic demands (AC or heat is running and is draining the battery, humidity levels inside the cabin are rising and the condensation sensor is turning on the condenser to dehumidify)

If your engines are restarting because the car in front of you has driven off...and your foot is still on the brake...how long is the interval before you take off? Is this happening after perhaps "dawdling" and you're kind of holding up traffic? (not trying to be funny...just trying to understand your experience because this has NEVER happened to me).

Again, the only time my engine restarts but my foot is still on the brake...only occurs when the electrical draw is starting to drain the battery. My car has never started when a vehicle in front of me has started to pull forward and my foot is still on the brake pedal. It only restarts when I lift my foot.

In regards to turning it off permenantly...I don't think I'd do that...even through coding...but I'd probably code the default mode to be off...then be able to turn it on during those driving situations where I actually desire it (to save fuel).

BTW, my tip for the day is...pushing the gear shift lever over into the sport mode position (to disable the auto engine shut off) when pulling into the garage so that I can find that sweet spot to be able to walk around the vehicle when parked in the garage. I hated it when I first got the car and the engine would shut off. For some reason, pushing the gear shift lever to the left is easier than reaching up to shut off the MSA button.
I always use the hold feature; so my foot isn't on the brakes. It'll start the engine while still holding, so I then have to press the gas
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13220.00
      08-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I always use the hold feature; so my foot isn't on the brakes. It'll start the engine while still holding, so I then have to press the gas
Just to cover both situations, I do not use the auto hold and the engine will start when my foot is still pressing the brake and the car in front of me moves.

I was curious as to whether the X5 had this feature so purposely stayed on the brake when the car in front of me started moving.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #15
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

I love the start-stop feature except in the situations when I approach a STOP sign and hit the break to check for safety and every time I hit the brakes and lift off of it and try to move forward, the engine keeps stop/start/stop and so on. There are times when it looks like we are playing with the engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #16
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Nice catch! I usually disable this within 2 seconds of starting the car, but purposely left it on yesterday and it did restart the engine as the car in front of me pulled away.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I didn't realize you had an G05, if so, you may want to get it checked as it is a standard feature of the start/stop system as far as I know. Audi has the same thing in their new models not sure about MB.
Ah...perhaps that's why it's never happened to me. The operating parameters could definitely have changed from the time of my 2013 F06. That's a perspective I hadn't considered...thanks for the nudge.

Quote:
Auto-hold...this is another feature I've never used because it's relatively flat where I live and 98% of my driving conditions rarely involves creeping along in slow moving traffic...so I've never felt a need to use that feature. You've given me a reason to finally try it out.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ah...perhaps that's why it's never happened to me. The operating parameters could definitely have changed from the time of my 2013 F06. That's a perspective I hadn't considered...thanks for the nudge.

Auto-hold...this is another feature I've never used because it's relatively flat where I live and 98% of my driving conditions rarely involves creeping along in slow moving traffic...so I've never felt a need to use that feature. You've given me a reason to finally try it out.
i love it for traffic lights. i have two pretty long lights on my way to work. now i can play around with my phone at the red light and look up when the car turns on
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
i love it for traffic lights. i have two pretty long lights on my way to work. now i can play around with my phone at the red light and look up when the car turns on
Or if you are like a recent Tesla driver you can blame it on auto pilot when you blow through the red light!!!! LOL
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #20
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
OK so I was finally able to test this Start/Stop feature behavior and it's not how it behaves in my car, 2019 X5 at 03/2019.48 I was at the lights for about a minute and was thinking it will just time out and restart on its own when lights turned green and everyone started moving. I was waiting for about 10 sec when everyone ahead of me already left and cars behind starting to get impatient. My engine was still off and only woke up as soon as I took the foot off the break pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #21
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
Quote:
OK so I was finally able to test this Start/Stop feature behavior and it's not how it behaves in my car, 2019 X5 at 03/2019.48 I was at the lights for about a minute and was thinking it will just time out and restart on its own when lights turned green and everyone started moving. I was waiting for about 10 sec when everyone ahead of me already left and cars behind starting to get impatient. My engine was still off and only woke up as soon as I took the foot off the break pedal.
Do you the radar cruise control? Maybe you need to have that system? Not sure
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:06 AM   #22
techc
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 X5

IIRC, if you go into Car - Driving Information - Energy Flow, it actually tells you the different reasons why the ASS decided to start/stop/not start/not stop the engine. Possible reasons I’ve seen so far are:

Not stopping engine when coming to complete stop (wording not exact):
“Residential intersection detected” (probably in anticipation of quick reaction needed)
“Stop sign detected”
“Turn indicator on”
“Intent to turn detected (steering wheel)”

Starting before brake is released:
“Vehicle in front started moving”
“Air conditioning”

I don’t usually drive with ASS on, so there might be other messages the system displays, but I haven’t seen before.

Last edited by techc; 08-13-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
radmjk240.50