natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
We bought a new F150 King Ranch a few months ago with MSRP right around my X5's. It is equipped with almost all of the options, and it may be something you might want to look at. It has lots of features, even some that my X5 doesn't have (massaging and ventilated seats).

The F150 doesn't have the visual fit and finish that you are used to in your X5 — you can see mold lines on some plastic pieces, and some don't line up 100% correctly. And it drives like, well, a truck. Steering isn't super precise, turning radius is terrible, and it's very large when parking. However, if you understand working from this basis, it is a very nice vehicle that might suit your needs well. Almost all the advanced features you're used to — auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, heated/ventilated/massaging seats, CarPlay (which works), surround cameras with top view, etc.

Regarding the Sierra Denali... I traded a 2018 Yukon Denali in for my X5, which is fundamentally the same vehicle as the Sierra. My Yukon had lots of squeaks and rattles, and the fit and finish was worse than our F150, but damn — that "Denali" badge was a major attention magnet. Maybe it's just Texas, but everyone (like coworkers, family, friends) made comments about me having a "Denali," which honestly took me by surprise. I never was impressed by that... it was just a package that had features I wanted. It had more "wow factor" with people than my X5. In any case, the Sierra is a new body style that is newer than my Yukon, so they may have improved.

Don't consider the Tundra. It is an old design with old mechanicals. We traded a 2014 Tundra on the F150, and I would not recommend it. The Tundra had issues with power locks, air conditioner blower, intermittently working reverse camera, and random other issues. And the truck on sale today is fundamentally the same.

The Ram has good reviews — may be worth checking out. We too were leery of buying a Chrysler product so ruled it out.
Thanks so much - interesting stories!

I’m with you on the F150, and I have concerns about either Chrysler or GM but heck, if it started to get weary I’ll replAce it. I drove Chrysler products for years until we bought our 2003 Honda Odyssey.

When the tyranny went out in that in 2011, I drive a brand new Chrysler minivan design. It was BAD. My 10-year-Honda was SO superior to the ride and everything else. I immediately abandoned any type of a Chrysler.

Having said that, we bought a 1999 Chrysler van to keep here at our second home when we moved to Iowa. That thing is STILL running. Drives like a dream (it was a high-end package when new). How many miles. Hard to say ... the dashboard electronic board went out a few years ago so it doesn’t have a speedometer, fuel gauge or any of those other niceties. It’s a wreck, but my husband took out all of the seats and uses it like a pickup. Not sure it will ever die, and necessary maintenance has been minimal.

So, all car makes can be great, or very bad. GMC trucks are not as popular as F150s, but the crowd that needs a workhorse truck likes them. The Ram 1500 gets great reviews as a luxe truck, better than the F150. I’ll drive them all, I suspect.

In the end, I just might fall in love with another cherry red Honda Odyssey. Who knows ...?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #134
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

So my car was "rear ended" on Oct 30th - someone ran int my 6 week old "baby" at a roundabout. Damage looks to have been worse than the OPs - they hit me corner on. Not sure of all the correct terms but amongst other things I needed: new bumper, exhaust, exhaust tip, undertray, trim above the wheel, inlay to the wheel arch, parking sensors, lower tail gate, rear quarter panel, fog light. I'll post pictures if/when I can - curiously, my insurer explicitly said not to share on social media.

The insurance company signed off the quote last Friday, parts ordered on Monday... and I get it back tomorrow (hurrah! hurrah!)

Having read the OPs initial post, I had braced myself for the worse, but I think that's pretty speedy. I wonder why I could get parts so quick yet...?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #135
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
We bought a new F150 King Ranch a few months ago with MSRP right around my X5's. It is equipped with almost all of the options, and it may be something you might want to look at. It has lots of features, even some that my X5 doesn't have (massaging and ventilated seats).

The F150 doesn't have the visual fit and finish that you are used to in your X5 — you can see mold lines on some plastic pieces, and some don't line up 100% correctly. And it drives like, well, a truck. Steering isn't super precise, turning radius is terrible, and it's very large when parking. However, if you understand working from this basis, it is a very nice vehicle that might suit your needs well. Almost all the advanced features you're used to — auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, heated/ventilated/massaging seats, CarPlay (which works), surround cameras with top view, etc.

Regarding the Sierra Denali... I traded a 2018 Yukon Denali in for my X5, which is fundamentally the same vehicle as the Sierra. My Yukon had lots of squeaks and rattles, and the fit and finish was worse than our F150, but damn — that "Denali" badge was a major attention magnet. Maybe it's just Texas, but everyone (like coworkers, family, friends) made comments about me having a "Denali," which honestly took me by surprise. I never was impressed by that... it was just a package that had features I wanted. It had more "wow factor" with people than my X5. In any case, the Sierra is a new body style that is newer than my Yukon, so they may have improved.

Don't consider the Tundra. It is an old design with old mechanicals. We traded a 2014 Tundra on the F150, and I would not recommend it. The Tundra had issues with power locks, air conditioner blower, intermittently working reverse camera, and random other issues. And the truck on sale today is fundamentally the same.

The Ram has good reviews — may be worth checking out. We too were leery of buying a Chrysler product so ruled it out.
Well, F150 is a nice car
As for high tech, semi or full autonomic driving is high tech. And BMW is my pretty good
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #136
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
So my car was "rear ended" on Oct 30th - someone ran int my 6 week old "baby" at a roundabout. Damage looks to have been worse than the OPs - they hit me corner on. Not sure of all the correct terms but amongst other things I needed: new bumper, exhaust, exhaust tip, undertray, trim above the wheel, inlay to the wheel arch, parking sensors, lower tail gate, rear quarter panel, fog light. I'll post pictures if/when I can - curiously, my insurer explicitly said not to share on social media.

The insurance company signed off the quote last Friday, parts ordered on Monday... and I get it back tomorrow (hurrah! hurrah!)

Having read the OPs initial post, I had braced myself for the worse, but I think that's pretty speedy. I wonder why I could get parts so quick yet...?
Maybe the BMW dealers there are stockpiling. I’ll be interested to see if you actually get your car back so quickly. With my car, all the painted parts had to be painted by the body shop. That alone takes a few days.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

If you are in the mood, ask your service manage how they got parts so fast. MOST of my parts arrived within a week, it was only the bumper cover that was missing, and they still don’t have the one they ordered for my car.

My dealer is in Delaware. They are a small BMW dealer, but have many large dealerships of other brands, and they have three collision shops owned by the organization that fix cars of all makes.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #137
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

...and it's home. Looking, sounding and driving like brand new!

I asked about parts availability and said they were usually delivered same day, from stock. It was the painting that took the time. He wasn't aware of any issues with X5 parts, though I am in the UK.

I guess it'd be curious to call another dealer and ask their service dept how quickly they could get hold of the part. At least then you'd know whether it was a problem with the parts or the dealer.

Hopefully you'll get your situation resolved soon.
Appreciate 0