BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #67
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvd183 View Post
At home i'm using a KEBA P30 as a charging station. The official BMW wall box is an KEBA P20 is around the same price like the one you have in this message.
I’m getting a KEBA P30 installed at home soon too. HAve you found it simple to use? I plan on integrating it with my Loxone home automation system
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #68
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjo001 View Post
I’m getting a KEBA P30 installed at home soon too. HAve you found it simple to use? I plan on integrating it with my Loxone home automation system
It is not so hard to use. Didn't integrate it yet into a home automation system.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #69
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
I’m thinking about this combo too. What do you want to automate? I’m also looking for the Maxem/Keba combo.
I want my car to charge from the pv panels when there is overproduction and at night time from the grid.
A wish besides these is to only unlock the p30 when it’s my car. Detection should be through a bluetooth dongle in the car or wifi (maybe the build in hotspot?).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #70
awosy
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
Picture quality isnt great, I took the picture with my mobile phone as usual

The black wheels look a bit more aggressive, in my opinion looks really great in real life - better than on the picture.
Looks great indeed, I haven't decided on the winter setup yet, as mine is expected in march next year, I will probably not need a winter setup yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:46 AM   #71
jonjo001
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I’m thinking about this combo too. What do you want to automate? I’m also looking for the Maxem/Keba combo.
I want my car to charge from the pv panels when there is overproduction and at night time from the grid.
A wish besides these is to only unlock the p30 when it’s my car. Detection should be through a bluetooth dongle in the car or wifi (maybe the build in hotspot?).
My connector is going to be street facing, so like you, I only want the Keba to be enabled when it is either of my electric/hybrid cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #72
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Curious to hear experience of other 45e drivers.

I have mine for just over a month now and I am nowhere getting the performance I was hoping from the electric range.

I've tried every possible setting and I am at a range of 50-55km. Most economical seems to be the self-driving with adaptive mode (based on GPS navigation) but that just gets me at the 55km range. Far from the 87km
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #73
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post

I have mine for just over a month now and I am nowhere getting the performance I was hoping from the electric range.

I've tried every possible setting and I am at a range of 50-55km. Most economical seems to be the self-driving with adaptive mode (based on GPS navigation) but that just gets me at the 55km range. Far from the 87km
Not unusual although 50 is rather low. Cold weather has a negative impact on your battery resulting in reduced range. All electric vehicles suffer from this. You can expect a few extra km in the summer months.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #74
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:

I can do around 69km according to my key fob with current driving behaviour. I do live in an area which has heaps of hills which probably also affects range.

I did around 50% electric - 2200 km so far in total (combined) but that’s on me really, drove to France and spent a weekend there without charging up on wall plug or charging station. I did notice that driving around on petrol also charged the battery to around 9-10 km on parts that I did so then I did some parts in electric mode again.

If you put navigation on and choose adaptive mode, the car will use battery when it makes sense, mostly at lower, non highway speeds I have noticed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #75
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can do around 69km according to my key fob with current driving behaviour. I do live in an area which has heaps of hills which probably also affects range.

I did around 50% electric - 2200 km so far in total (combined) but that’s on me really, drove to France and spent a weekend there without charging up on wall plug or charging station. I did notice that driving around on petrol also charged the battery to around 9-10 km on parts that I did so then I did some parts in electric mode again.

If you put navigation on and choose adaptive mode, the car will use battery when it makes sense, mostly at lower, non highway speeds I have noticed.
69km? Wow. My trips are mostly flat as most of this country is.

What mode do you drive in? Hybrid / Hybrid Eco Pro / Adaptive and with GPS navigation on or off? Self-driving or manual driving?

I wish someone at BMW could explain what I am doing wrong because I simply do not get it.

Yet based on other posts, people have experienced being able to have a range that is about 40% higher than shown on instruments display.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #76
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
69km? Wow. My trips are mostly flat as most of this country is.

What mode do you drive in? Hybrid / Hybrid Eco Pro / Adaptive and with GPS navigation on or off? Self-driving or manual driving?

I wish someone at BMW could explain what I am doing wrong because I simply do not get it.

Yet based on other posts, people have experienced being able to have a range that is about 40% higher than shown on instruments display.
Default is adaptive for me without navigation on because I drive lots of short distances usually. On short distance I don’t tend to use self driving.

If you want to avoid the petrol to kick in, don’t push in the accelerator to much, smooth acceleration avoids that it kicks in. As soon as you push it a bit more, petrol will kick in. So it’s cruising on short distance.

Electric mode can force driving electric if you have tendency to push accelerator too much for those short distances.

For longer distance (60km) I would enable GPS navigation and be in adaptive mode. Same principals apply though as above. From what I have noticed it seems like car tends to use petrol on highway at higher speeds in adaptive mode and saves up the electric driving for non highway parts at lower speeds.

I’m pretty sure I’ve done 75km already electric. Not sure if I have ever reached 85km so far. I’ll try to keep an eye on it when I drive some longer distances.

For the rest, I’ve seen battery charge back up during braking and rolling downhill basically. In sport mode, petrol on for sure, it seems to charge up more - maybe just me thinking that but it sure did seem that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #77
jonjo001
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
Not unusual although 50 is rather low. Cold weather has a negative impact on your battery resulting in reduced range. All electric vehicles suffer from this. You can expect a few extra km in the summer months.
This. I have an i3s as well and in the summer a 100% battery range is 195 miles. Now, with broadly similar driving, I will only see a 100% range of 140 miles.

If you are trying to drive in full electric then the system will be heating/conditioning the batteries too, as well as the cabin etc. All this will have a impact on potential range
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #78
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
This. I have an i3s as well and in the summer a 100% battery range is 195 miles. Now, with broadly similar driving, I will only see a 100% range of 140 miles.

If you are trying to drive in full electric then the system will be heating/conditioning the batteries too, as well as the cabin etc. All this will have a impact on potential range
makes sense.

in that regard, airco is on, seat heating is often on for small period of time as well already and music is always on 😁
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #79
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

preconditioning the car would also help with the range but then I would first make sure your cable is adjusted if needed in terms of the recall that is taking place. Mine has been adjusted by dealer but I haven’t used preconditioning (warming up car and batteries yet). It’s minus 4 degrees celsius here now this morning. Could drive 65km according to computer.

I drove 19,6km just now. I can still do 39km now so that totals up to 58,6km - not the 65km because the car was frozen so had front and rear on max to get windows defrosted, used seat heating and my music was on, as always is the case. On the note of a frozen car, the hood doesn’t defrost ofc driving electric, kinda weird at first.

I plugged it in now and I’ll try the preheating option soon to check what it gives.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:25 AM   #80
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Default is adaptive for me without navigation on because I drive lots of short distances usually. On short distance I don’t tend to use self driving.

If you want to avoid the petrol to kick in, don’t push in the accelerator to much, smooth acceleration avoids that it kicks in. As soon as you push it a bit more, petrol will kick in. So it’s cruising on short distance.

Electric mode can force driving electric if you have tendency to push accelerator too much for those short distances.

For longer distance (60km) I would enable GPS navigation and be in adaptive mode. Same principals apply though as above. From what I have noticed it seems like car tends to use petrol on highway at higher speeds in adaptive mode and saves up the electric driving for non highway parts at lower speeds.

I’m pretty sure I’ve done 75km already electric. Not sure if I have ever reached 85km so far. I’ll try to keep an eye on it when I drive some longer distances.

For the rest, I’ve seen battery charge back up during braking and rolling downhill basically. In sport mode, petrol on for sure, it seems to charge up more - maybe just me thinking that but it sure did seem that way.
My car is always indoors. So never cold.

Do you drive in Adaptive mode and not in Hybrid mode? Will give that a try. Speed is regulated by car so not me pressing on the pedal.

But your experience gives me hope (a lot of :-) )

Another question: anyone experiencing issues with remote 3D view and Drive Recorder. For me it fails (Drive Recorder niet beschikbaar - Opnamefunctie uitgevallen). Requires iDrive reboot to make it work again. Each time. Frustrating!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #81
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
My car is always indoors. So never cold.

Do you drive in Adaptive mode and not in Hybrid mode? Will give that a try. Speed is regulated by car so not me pressing on the pedal.

But your experience gives me hope (a lot of :-) )

Another question: anyone experiencing issues with remote 3D view and Drive Recorder. For me it fails (Drive Recorder niet beschikbaar - Opnamefunctie uitgevallen). Requires iDrive reboot to make it work again. Each time. Frustrating!
It's not just to warm up the inside of the car.

According to the BMW driver guide app, the precondition - when the car is plugged in and you precondition it, the maximum range can be reached for electric driving because the electric system heats up in advance ~something along those lines. So it sounds like it prepares the car to drive electric, perhaps even doing something with the batteries to prep them and by doing that you have a larger range.

I haven't tried this out yet with a full battery but I'll try to test it one of these days and see what range the car comes up with.

Check out the video in the app under Animations , Plug-in Hybrid
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #82
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's not just to warm up the inside of the car.

According to the BMW driver guide app, the precondition - when the car is plugged in and you precondition it, the maximum range can be reached for electric driving because the electric system heats up in advance ~something along those lines. So it sounds like it prepares the car to drive electric, perhaps even doing something with the batteries to prep them and by doing that you have a larger range.

I haven't tried this out yet with a full battery but I'll try to test it one of these days and see what range the car comes up with.

Check out the video in the app under Animations , Plug-in Hybrid
The videos are not helpful nor is the manual in determining what is the best driving mode to have the furthest range possible: Hybrid / Hybrid Eco / Adaptive / Electrical
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #83
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
The videos are not helpful nor is the manual in determining what is the best driving mode to have the furthest range possible: Hybrid / Hybrid Eco / Adaptive / Electrical
You should check out the video in thread about X5 45e review, it gives you more pointers on how to have regenerative power for electric driving

I kinda agree in terms of having a bit too many different options really, gets confusing in the end
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #84
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You should check out the video in thread about X5 45e review, it gives you more pointers on how to have regenerative power for electric driving

I kinda agree in terms of having a bit too many different options really, gets confusing in the end
and what do you use a drive mode? Hybrid or Adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #85
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
and what do you use a drive mode? Hybrid or Adaptive?
My default is adaptive
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #86
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My default is adaptive
Thanks I'll try that one. Were you able to set is as default when starting the car or do you press the button each time? (I could only find electric as an option to switch from Hybrid)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #87
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M

Did you try Hybrid Eco Pro? Apparently it has the best range and recuperates the most in that mode but I'm afraid it might be a bit too tame
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #88
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2REP View Post
Did you try Hybrid Eco Pro? Apparently it has the best range and recuperates the most in that mode but I'm afraid it might be a bit too tame
Yes I tried that made but without much luck.

Hybrid Eco Pro is not too tame if you have the auto speed turned on and especially if you live in a place like me that is just full of speed trap cameras everywhere.

What I don't understand is the lack of information in videos and manuals regarding the different drive modes and which is most economical; and more importantly how to get as close as possible to those 87km. Like said my dealer's demo car sees same range as I do.

I hope that the adaptive mode does the trick because I can't go much slower as tailgating trucks on the highway :-)
Appreciate 1
2REP20.50