BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Taking it in for CarPlay connectivity is a joke. There are no release notes to see if it’s worth the time. We are paying for the remote updates, as we are subscribed to them on the ConnectedDrive Portal. It’s just like CarPlay and all the BS that happened in the first year. For the people who say “it’s included for X amount of years”...yes, and I’ve paid for it.
At this point I'm thinking it is your phone and not the x5. CarPlay connectivity issues basically have seemed to disappear with the 07/2019.xx update and/or iOS 13.x.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #24
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
At this point I'm thinking it is your phone and not the x5. CarPlay connectivity issues basically have seemed to disappear with the 07/2019.xx update and/or iOS 13.x.

No, what I am trying to say is that every single time you justify getting and update, you have to tell them it's CarPlay disconnecting. It's not the phone, it's the fact that BMW puts their services behind a wall that has to connect to a server. When the server cannot validate your subscription, you aren't allowed to access said subscription. Given BMW's track record of wonderful software, I would say it is them.

I agree with you they have disappeared, but it seems that the only way to get the dealership to update without being a pain in the ass is CarPlay connectivity. Riddle me this...why would they keep taking the car in and performing the updates on that basis if it was my phone and not the car? Either they know something is up, or it's just become a known issue that BMW does not have their stuff together.

CarPlay works fine in every single other vehicle. Bluetooth and WiFi stay connected in every other vehicle. It's ok to admit that BMW does not have their software figured out. I'm starting to think that you either do not use these services, or you just flat out insist BMW can't be in the wrong. Not attacking the X5, but you better believe I will hold BMW accountable for kicking the can down the road on something they promised. If you have money you want to throw away, then go ahead and write a donation check to BMW's Development Team.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #25
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
No, what I am trying to say is that every single time you justify getting and update, you have to tell them it's CarPlay disconnecting. It's not the phone, it's the fact that BMW puts their services behind a wall that has to connect to a server. When the server cannot validate your subscription, you aren't allowed to access said subscription. Given BMW's track record of wonderful software, I would say it is them.

I agree with you they have disappeared, but it seems that the only way to get the dealership to update without being a pain in the ass is CarPlay connectivity. Riddle me this...why would they keep taking the car in and performing the updates on that basis if it was my phone and not the car? Either they know something is up, or it's just become a known issue that BMW does not have their stuff together.

CarPlay works fine in every single other vehicle. Bluetooth and WiFi stay connected in every other vehicle. It's ok to admit that BMW does not have their software figured out. I'm starting to think that you either do not use these services, or you just flat out insist BMW can't be in the wrong. Not attacking the X5, but you better believe I will hold BMW accountable for kicking the can down the road on something they promised. If you have money you want to throw away, then go ahead and write a donation check to BMW's Development Team.
In most cases the dealer does not know what is wrong and what the fix will be so they do the update since the customer is complaining about the problem. It is not in the skill set, or even responsibility, to try and track down problems with the software.

Obviously there are issues with iDrive and no one can deny that but I like to try and keep things accurate and so far, either on purpose or just by not understanding things, your posts have been riddled with inaccurate information. Anytime I see this I will question is so you don't mislead people.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #26
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
In most cases the dealer does not know what is wrong and what the fix will be so they do the update since the customer is complaining about the problem. It is not in the skill set, or even responsibility, to try and track down problems with the software.

Obviously there are issues with iDrive and no one can deny that but I like to try and keep things accurate and so far, either on purpose or just by not understanding things, your posts have been riddled with inaccurate information. Anytime I see this I will question is so you don't mislead people.
Right...all wrong? Keep being a miserable person. You just seem to not like people stating what their experiences are. Since you are the go to for all things X5, please tell me why I don’t have remote software updates. Please tell me why CarPlay doesn’t come right up like on every other vehicle. Please tell me why release notes for previous versions of iDrive focus on lane assist and other aspects of the safety systems. Unless you are developing the system and have worked on my vehicle, you are clueless. Why do people echo some of these same issues?

Why don’t you stop trying to start stuff when people are having a discussion. Please, by all means, help me fix my issues. Can you send me the software updates? I think you just don’t like the fact that someone is speaking critically or BMW. Please show me where my subjective opinion is misinformed. Again, why would I post something about a vehicle that I own, I like, I drive, and have stated is a good vehicle.

Face it, iDrive 7 is not stable. There’s all sorts of releases out there. You’re in other threads talking out of your ass about what your dealer told you regarding framework and future updates. You have no clue. I have no clue. BMW has no clue.

Get off your high horse..if you have nothing nice to say, then move on. But please don’t say I am misinformed when you have no firsthand know these issues. If the system was stable, you MAY have a leg to stand on. Please try to stop being such a grump.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

^ You can try and bait me all you want but I won’t fall for it so it is just a waste of your time and effort as I have better things to do than spar with trolls such as yourself. Enjoy trying with someone else, perhaps they will be gullible enough to engage with you.
Appreciate 3
      11-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #28
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

You’re still talking? We were having a nice discussion about software. You obviously have no input, be it relevant or accurate. I’m still waiting for you to give me some of this secret information. You had nothing to say about CarPlay except that it’s my phone. What build of 13.2.2 are you running? What is your iDrive version? You do realize as Apple releases new updates, which they have at a frequent pace, it may cause an issue? I really don’t think you understand much about software or integration. I’m no genius, but I can grasp something that elementary. You’re over in other threads complaining about iDrive, so again, stop being a grouchy know it all. You’ve got a horrible attitude in your posts, which reek of arrogance.

Back to the point at hand...did anyone ever get the November release from a US dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #29
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
The car is substantially technology driven - even to critical operational functions. OTA is a wonderful idea, not yet fully born according to my CA - and actually BMW as well. What would be nice is if every dealer was tasked by BMW (I realize they are more or less independent - just wishing) to update software as required and requested by any customer, no questions asked, whenever they ask. Some dealerships apparently aren't even aware of updates, or of what is current. I counted approximately four updates since mine was delivered a couple of months ago. I queried my dealer and they said they'd get around to it at my next service. I don't really know what the latest update(s) fix, or don't, but just like my phone or computer, I'd like to be current, and I don't even drive those. As long as we're wishing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #30
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
The car is substantially technology driven - even to critical operational functions. OTA is a wonderful idea, not yet fully born according to my CA - and actually BMW as well. What would be nice is if every dealer was tasked by BMW (I realize they are more or less independent - just wishing) to update software as required and requested by any customer, no questions asked, whenever they ask. Some dealerships apparently aren't even aware of updates, or of what is current. I counted approximately four updates since mine was delivered a couple of months ago. I queried my dealer and they said they'd get around to it at my next service. I don't really know what the latest update(s) fix, or don't, but just like my phone or computer, I'd like to be current, and I don't even drive those. As long as we're wishing.
The problem is it seems to take an entire day for them to do the updates. They either need to figure out OTA or, to your point, offer updates no questions asked. I agree with having the newest version, as with my other devices, new updates seem to fix bugs and vulnerabilities. BMW should try and fix and validate their software before rolling it out. If they bigger updates had to be done at the dealer until it’s all up and running, cool. But 2-3 updates per quarter is ridiculous. Without release notes, I assume I need to have the latest version. If they push out some communication and let us know it’s only addressing a small fix (one I may not even need), then I’ll be on my merry way. But, with Apple, these updates are clearly communicated. BMW needs to figure out the software thing. At this point, I would not even consider the phone as a key concept, because my luck...the key would get wiped while I was 300 miles from home. The fact everything has to communicate with a server before “allowing” me to use it is crazy...ie CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #31
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
The problem is it seems to take an entire day for them to do the updates. They either need to figure out OTA or, to your point, offer updates no questions asked.
Coincidentally, logging into my CD account online today I see a recommendation to do a 'Remote Software Upgrade', aka OTA upgrade.

Also coincidentally I dropped my X5 off this morning for its first regular service and was advised a software upgrade will be done covering several items.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #32
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Coincidentally, logging into my CD account online today I see a recommendation to do a 'Remote Software Upgrade', aka OTA upgrade.
Are you seeing something different than the option below? This has been available for several months since they updated the web site although of course OTAs have not been.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #33
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post

Also coincidentally I dropped my X5 off this morning for its first regular service and was advised a software upgrade will be done covering several items.
Heard “by the end of the year”. Would be nice! At this point, even if it bricks my car...I’ll be happy to get them OTA!

...but seriously, that would be awesome. I would give it a few days. I have a worry their servers would crap out with all the action halfway through the update and nuke the car. Then I’d end up having to take it in anyway. I learned my lesson with Apple’s MacOS and some other stories about the homepods getting bricked. Always best to have someone else try first! Any takers?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I would give it a few days. I have a worry their servers would crap out with all the action halfway through the update and nuke the car. Then I’d end up having to take it in anyway. I learned my lesson with Apple’s MacOS and some other stories about the homepods getting bricked.
That is not the way updates to iDrive will work, MacOS does not work that way either. The entire update file is downloaded, either directly or via your phone, prior to the update process starting.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #35
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
That is not the way updates to iDrive will work, MacOS does not work that way either. The entire update file is downloaded, either directly or via your phone, prior to the update process starting.

Enlighten me on the exact process then. You mean to say there’s NO way for an install to fail? I can tell you from personal experience I’ve had the exact thing happen. You must not own anything other than an iPhone. What happens if the download is interrupted? If the server crashes? You know from first hand experience that BMW will not have a server issue? You know that the car will 100% complete that install after downloading? Seriously man, you need to stop with your dimwit responses. Look at all the issues Apple had with Catalina, audioOS13, and issues from iOS13 in general. It happens. Your car is no different than your phone or your laptop.

You’re saying the ConnectedDrive app, BMW’s servers, and the actual update are going to have absolutely no issues through the process. Looks like we found our first volunteer to do the update. Stop with whatever personal vendetta you have...you apparently thought I was misinforming people about CarPlay being wired? Just stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #36
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

I also have a 2018 Honda Accord. It connects to my home network via WiFi and updates itself as needed.

Would love it if the X5 did that.... could knock out the all day issue
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #37
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

For the sake of those who are interested in this topic, unlike @randybobandy who can not follow the simplest of conversations and just wants to stir up arguments, the process for the iDrive updates will be like any other modern system such as Windows, MacOS, etc. where the upgrade file will be downloaded prior to the update starting. This way should the servers go down during the process it doses not effect the system being updated. The download can occur using your phone or through iDrive.

As far as issues during the update, one can only imagine what @randybobandy has to be drinking to think that was being discussed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
TSMC55125.00
Paladin15457.50
      11-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #38
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
For the sake of those who are interested in this topic, unlike @randybobandy who can not follow the simplest of conversations and just wants to stir up arguments, the process for the iDrive updates will be like any other modern system such as Windows, MacOS, etc. where the upgrade file will be downloaded prior to the update starting. This way should the servers go down during the process it doses not effect the system being updated. The download can occur using your phone or through iDrive.

As far as issues during the update, one can only imagine what @randybobandy has to be drinking to think that was being discussed.

You never answered any of what I asked. So there’s no issues with any of the technology involved? Again, do a little search of the issues with Catalina hanging up during install, look into HomePods being bricked with corrupt software. You are sitting here trying to call me out on absolutely nothing. Because I used the wrong word on a hypothetical situation? Get a life man, seriously. No one cares about what you are spewing. You have to stir up an argument on an X5 forum? I feel bad for you. I thought this place was supposed to be civil?

Meanwhile, you copy and paste the instructions from BMW like they’ve never had any issues with software. You do realize during installation on these modern devices they need to talk back? Get a life man. You aren’t impressing anyone. Sorry your life isn’t what you wanted it to be. Just don’t drag me into your sad existence. Enjoy your X5!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #39
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Apple works the same way. I just happened to have an update waiting for me so I did a few screen shots. I never use auto updates on anything and therefore sit at my Mac and observe the process. Apple pretty much has their updating process down pat but I like to know and understand what is going on, so I watch it I've owned several Apple products for more than a decade so am familiar with Apples update process.

If an issue interrupts the download from Apple's servers, and I have seen this happen a few times, the protocol is smart enough to know it and will restart the download or take up where it left off and finish it upon the next available moment, which could be a millisecond or a minute or.. .

I have also seen where even after the verification step, it failed and must re-download the file. This works the same whether your device is being updated via WiFi or Ethernet. However, only after the updated file has been downloaded and verified to be good, the installation begins.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TSMC55125.00
      11-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #40
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Turtleboy, did you read the bottom of what you sent? The functional requirements? What if these change during installation? Unless you can tell me without a doubt there won’t be a problem, then I’ll shut up. Also, you’re assuming the download will occur perfectly. Have you used the ConnectedDrive app or the onboard cellular? Really worry about you!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #41
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Apple works the same way. I just happened to have an update waiting for me so I did a few screen shots. I never use auto updates on anything and therefore sit at my Mac and observe the process. Apple pretty much has their updating process down pat but I like to know and understand what is going on, so I watch it I've owned several Apple products for more than a decade so am familiar with Apples update process.

If an issue interrupts the download from Apple's servers, and I have seen this happen a few times, the protocol is smart enough to know it and will restart the download or take up where it left off and finish it upon the next available moment, which could be a millisecond or a minute or.. .

I have also seen where even after the verification step, it failed and must re-download the file. This works the same whether your device is being updated via WiFi or Ethernet. However, only after the updated file has been downloaded and verified to be good, the installation begins.

You’re watching it move on the progress bar? Really? Can you both do some research into Catalina, please? Have you tried to tried updating when something was released? I’m starting to think you guys are taking my hypothetical scenario to heart. I guess I should speak in only literal terms?

Downloads fail, installs fail, software fails. It happens to the biggest of tech companies. They’re on it of course, since it is what they do. Do you think if BMW ran into this problem it would be on top of it? You have people without remote 3D, people on March software, people with no CarPlay, people with all sorts of software problems. It comes back to one thing. Everything BMW offers you as “tech” is behind a stingy paywall. Look at your portal. Everything expires...you know why? They are going to charge ya for it.

Some of us don’t lease, so we would like to actually get what we paid for. Good on you for turning it in every three years. BMW is going to blame Apple for CarPlay, and the dealership will tell you it’s iOS. Nope, it’s the cheapskates making sure every time you turn that car on, you paid your entrance fee and can use CarPlay. It’s really not difficult.

Again, for you two attacking me. There’s really not reason, but if you get your validation in life by being a forum tough guy...do some research. TECH IS NOT PERFECT!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #42
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

oh and Marty in Bgm , you may want to consider updating your operating system...what the heck are you even running? That can't be Mojave even?! Still living the 32-bit life? I can respect that at least.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #43
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

I thought this thread would be about the new I-step release, not a re-enactment of 'one flew over the cuckoos nest'

If OTA updates are ever delivered they won't start to flash the ECUs until a hash check is complete. That part should be solid at least.

The risk is the variations in hardware and there will be failures. Even the dealer programmed updates fail in some instances. It's all there in the programming release notes.
Appreciate 2
TSMC55125.00
rlou81.50
      11-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #44
Abegweit
Private
Rep
Drives: 17' 340 6mt/19' X5 40i

Just received 07/2019.71 today. It solved an issue I was having with some of the ConnectedDrive features like remote lock/unlock. Otherwise everything seems to be the same so far.

iOS13 solved most of my CarPlay issues. One outstanding annoyance was the failure to hold MUTE during phone calls. Haven't had a chance to see if the 2019.71 update has solved that yet.
Appreciate 0