BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
r00ts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

(Yet) another F15 -> G05 impression

I picked up my new X5 last Saturday and have about 500 miles so far. Here are some of my impressions so far in random order:

* I kept reaching behind the steering wheel to start / stop the engine only to realize the button is no longer there

* In my F15, the door lock button was located in front of the door handle. So I'd reach there to unlock only to realize that it's now the memory set button. Now I set the car to unlock when I shut the engine off (can't remember if F15 has this option, but I always unlocked manually)

* My F15 had rear air suspension (because of 3rd row) but it also had M adaptive suspension, whereas the G05 has both air (again because of 3rd row). In comfort, the G05 feels a bit too soft for me and more body lean in corners. In sport it's better, but I feel my F15 in sport was firm and more composed. No surprise because I know this is air in both axle. I now hit the adaptive button after I start the car and it's a bit better.

* The turn signal stalk in F15 was the you push up or down and it'll spring back to the normal position. But in G05 you push up or down and it'll stay there (until it's cancelled by the steering wheel turn). I prefer the F15 style (it feels more modern to me).

* I love how quiet the G05 interior is (granted I have acoustic glass). Driving over the same freeway to work/home the difference is significantly noticeable.

* The F15 had manual levers to move the seats for 3rd row passengers and it was easy and quick to use. The G05 now has electric controls and moving the seat for 3rd row passengers is r e a l l y s l o w.

* The windshield in the G05 seems smaller than F15. I have an XL size generic sunshade from AutoZone which in the F15 would leave about half an inch gap on the top (with the bottom flush against the dash). But in the G05, the sunshade is tight on the top and bottom.

Overall I love the new car and don't miss my F15 at all.
Appreciate 2
atl_1M1520.00
sygazelle11329.50
      11-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

The windshield fluid nozzles, F15 has 2 and G05 has 3.

How did you get the 3rd row seat?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

We're also going from a F15 to a G05, except we're keeping the F15. None of the dealer's demo cars we test drove had either the air suspension or the M suspension, it just had a regular suspension which was a lot softer than the air suspension on our F15 (also 3rd row option). My mom is getting the G05 and she wants the softest ride possible, so I guess I'm asking were you able to demo the difference between the regular suspension and the air suspension, is it even dramatically softer? (it doesnt really matter since we're getting the 3rd row option again anyway)

During the test drive, I actually felt as if the cabin was roomier and larger, i didnt think the windshield was smaller but I guess we'll find out. Thanks for your impressions
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
anuj452
2019 X5 40i
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

You can control the height of the car with with the air suspension lever control, Lower it down by 1 level and it'll stay there.
This will help to reduce the body lean in corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00ts View Post

* My F15 had rear air suspension (because of 3rd row) but it also had M adaptive suspension, whereas the G05 has both air (again because of 3rd row). In comfort, the G05 feels a bit too soft for me and more body lean in corners. In sport it's better, but I feel my F15 in sport was firm and more composed. No surprise because I know this is air in both axle. I now hit the adaptive button after I start the car and it's a bit better.
      11-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj452 View Post
You can control the height of the car with with the air suspension lever control, Lower it down by 1 level and it'll stay there.
This will help to reduce the body lean in corners.
That is not correct, the only way to keep it lower is to put it into sport mode. It will raise automatically if it is not in Sport mode.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
cwiginton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 45e

I agree with your thoughts on the turn signal stalk and the cabin noise. Congrats on the new G05.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
anuj452
2019 X5 40i
Rep

I see the screenshot above, however I have been using this for a while.
I lowered the suspension height by one level and it stays there without having to adjust it every day.

If I lower it by 2 levels then it comes back to normal level fairly soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is not correct, the only way to keep it lower is to put it into sport mode. It will raise automatically if it is not in Sport mode.
      11-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I lowered the suspension height by one level and it stays there without having to adjust it every day.

Are you sure it is not just at the normal level? You could be correct but it would be operating differently than the docs, some reviews and what others have experienced. Maybe it is something that changed in a newer version of iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiginton View Post
I agree with your thoughts on the turn signal stalk and the cabin noise. Congrats on the new G05.

That and the wiper control is also wrong, you can no longer do one wipe when in auto mode without putting the stalk back in the 1 up position for auto again, very annoying while driving (which is the same like most other cars). I guess BMW changed them back, because for whatever reason, most people just don't get it? I don't want to call people names, but I suspect that was why!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I picked up my new X5 last Saturday and have about 500 miles so far. Here are some of my impressions so far in random order:

* I kept reaching behind the steering wheel to start / stop the engine only to realize the button is no longer there

* In my F15, the door lock button was located in front of the door handle. So I'd reach there to unlock only to realize that it's now the memory set button. Now I set the car to unlock when I shut the engine off (can't remember if F15 has this option, but I always unlocked manually)

* The turn signal stalk in F15 was the you push up or down and it'll spring back to the normal position. But in G05 you push up or down and it'll stay there (until it's cancelled by the steering wheel turn). I prefer the F15 style (it feels more modern to me).

* I love how quiet the G05 interior is (granted I have acoustic glass). Driving over the same freeway to work/home the difference is significantly noticeable.

* The F15 had manual levers to move the seats for 3rd row passengers and it was easy and quick to use. The G05 now has electric controls and moving the seat for 3rd row passengers is r e a l l y s l o w.

* The windshield in the G05 seems smaller than F15. I have an XL size generic sunshade from AutoZone which in the F15 would leave about half an inch gap on the top (with the bottom flush against the dash). But in the G05, the sunshade is tight on the top and bottom.

Overall I love the new car and don't miss my F15 at all.

The turn signal stalk is more for safety and convenient than being modern. It actually required the least amount of movement and less time to operate comparing to the "OLD/new" (really stupid design)! It also creates less noise, you don't get the turn click and stalk return noises!

Bottom line, BMW had it right with the turn signal stalk and wiper stalk designs, but a lot of people are too Slow, they just don't get how to use the turn signal stalk properly, so BMW had to bring them back
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #11
anuj452
2019 X5 40i
Rep

Yes, I am 100% sure i have verified this many times it stays 1 level below...
i can also confirm that this is how it worked for me on 03/2019.xx version and now on 07/2019.70 version

Quote:
Are you sure it is not just at the normal level? You could be correct but it would be operating differently than the docs, some reviews and what others have experienced. Maybe it is something that changed in a newer version of iDrive.
TurtleBoy13164.50
      11-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #12
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

anuj452 is correct, the lowest setting is called loading setting not for normal driving, the first lower setting is auto in sport mode and can be manually selected for better body control
Appreciate 1
anuj452115.00
      11-27-2019, 02:02 AM   #13
drummerboy71
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X5, 3.0dA (G05)

Quote:
Can somebody show a screen of the display key to adjust the hight of the car? Is this a setting somehow? I do have air-suspension and the display key, but can't find the adjustment on the key...... only can be done in the car by handle
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:24 AM   #14
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
My car has the same behaviour as anuj452 described. I also thought that if the car is not in sport mode then it will auto adjust to the standard (middle) level, and thought that's what I saw when I first got the car, but over the last two weeks mine has been sitting at the second level from the bottom regardless of the drive mode I am in.
Appreciate 1
anuj452115.00
      11-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_coke View Post
My car has the same behaviour as anuj452 described. I also thought that if the car is not in sport mode then it will auto adjust to the standard (middle) level, and thought that's what I saw when I first got the car, but over the last two weeks mine has been sitting at the second level from the bottom regardless of the drive mode I am in.
Okay thanks, I haven't tried it since I got mine last January so perhaps things did change since I also thought it would raise by itself when up to speed. I will have to give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6M50i View Post
The turn signal stalk is more for safety and convenient than being modern. It actually required the least amount of movement and less time to operate comparing to the "OLD/new" (really stupid design)! It also creates less noise, you don't get the turn click and stalk return noises!

Bottom line, BMW had it right with the turn signal stalk and wiper stalk designs, but a lot of people are too Slow, they just don't get how to use the turn signal stalk properly, so BMW had to bring them back
how was it innovative? that's the feature i hate the most in our f15. If I make the slightest movement of the steering wheel, it acts like I've completed the turn and ths signal stalk turns off. Its hella annoying when you're trying to signal a difficult turn and i constantly have to press down on the stalk to make sure the blinker is actually on (I actually do indicate turns before making them)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #17
r00ts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingpint View Post
The windshield fluid nozzles, F15 has 2 and G05 has 3.

How did you get the 3rd row seat?
Yup, saw that when we had rain here 2 days ago.

Quote:
That and the wiper control is also wrong, you can no longer do one wipe when in auto mode without putting the stalk back in the 1 up position for auto again, very annoying while driving (which is the same like most other cars). I guess BMW changed them back, because for whatever reason, most people just don't get it? I don't want to call people names, but I suspect that was why!
This ^^^

The G05 wiper stalk feels like a major regression. In the F15 I always used the auto mode and sometimes at traffic light there wasn't enough rain to hit the windshield so that wiper did not wipe. But when the light turned green, I'd do a single wipe (pull the stalk down) and everything would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 04:19 AM   #18
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yup, saw that when we had rain here 2 days ago.

This ^^^

The G05 wiper stalk feels like a major regression. In the F15 I always used the auto mode and sometimes at traffic light there wasn't enough rain to hit the windshield so that wiper did not wipe. But when the light turned green, I'd do a single wipe (pull the stalk down) and everything would be fine.

Give me your version of the Magic Vision Control already BMW, it's absolutely brilliant! Love it on my S

I know eh, exactly! I'm sure some people complained to BMW how they liked the OLD WAYS, because pushing down a button is too advanced and complex for them! And I hate that BMW gave in!

Last edited by X6M50i; 12-03-2019 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #19
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
how was it innovative? that's the feature i hate the most in our f15. If I make the slightest movement of the steering wheel, it acts like I've completed the turn and ths signal stalk turns off. Its hella annoying when you're trying to signal a difficult turn and i constantly have to press down on the stalk to make sure the blinker is actually on (I actually do indicate turns before making them)

It's hardly innovative, rather logical, correct and ergonomic! It's simply untrue that the slightest steering input would cancel the turn, because it has been programed to have the exact same turning degree before cancelling much like the other inferior design; the system is also tuned to function exactly the same as the old, bad, and cumbersome design! When it comes to more complicated turning situations, it does require additional input once the turn has been cancelled, but you would get the same result using the bad system (in this case, holding the stalk down while turning would damage the components), also conditions like these are very rare, in my own experience of course. I have two F86, and two F15, also used in a F10 550i, F13 650i, pre change (not LCI, I first realized BMW's had replaced them in 2019 G30/G32 and G12) G30 540i, G32 640i and G12 M760Li. The first time I got to use the system was in E92 M3, Never had an issue! Absolutely loved it ever since!

People have been complaining about it since E90, but not for your very reason, rather they don't have a good control over the tap and pass the resist point. A lot of people had trouble cancelling a turn, they ended up turning it left and right, not knowing two ways to cancel it, light tap to the opposite, or light tap to the same direction, pick your pick, ingenious! I have always loved how BMW had the most logical designs for just about all controls in a car! Unfortunately they gave in.

I understand you use your blinkers, I believe most of us do (we get tickets for not using it here, and I pride myself for being a "perfect" driver, using correct blinkers and counts is one of the matrix), but do you use them correctly, otherwise, you would've also been happy with the design. Tap for 3 flashes to change lane, any more than that, meaning you are not ready to change or don't have enough room to, then don't, unless it's heavy traffic merging of course, then leave it on till you are in the lane! It's a signal, the function is to tell other drivers what you intend to do, not putting on a light show. One of the most annoying things to see in traffic is someone leaving their blinkers on for "forever" to merge or change lanes (not in heavy traffic)!

Example of how superior this design was: Right turn from a intersection into the outside lane of a main street, then need to cross two lanes right away to get to the left turn only lane. You would need to yank the stalk back before it returns on its own because you don't have enough room nor time to finish the full turn. In the old/bad system, you needed to move the stalk from the most up position to the very opposite, you'd have to extend your left hand to reach for it, comparing to just pull down, because the stalk stayed in the centre. Save effort, time, possibly avoid damage to the turn signal stalk components (many repairs were due to this type of "misuse" causing damages to the inner gears). The most logical and intuitive design of a button, gear or lever, is to set a default position, no matter how you use it and where you point it, it always returns to position 0, Ergonomic Design 101, ex high beam function: in most Japanese cars, you have to extend your fingers to reach for it once left in high beam position... so while they are on, it becomes less intuitive to use the turn signals

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #20
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's hardly innovative, rather logical, correct and ergonomic! It's simply untrue that the slightest steering input would cancel the turn, because it has been programed to have the exact same turning degree before cancelling much like the other inferior design;
well maybe its just our F15 that's super sensitive to the turn. If I at all hesitate to make a turn the blinker goes away but I feel like that hesitation sometimes is only a slight turn of the steering wheel so I have to constantly re-engage it. I do agree with you about the high beam function though.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #21
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am 100% sure i have verified this many times it stays 1 level below...
i can also confirm that this is how it worked for me on 03/2019.xx version and now on 07/2019.70 version
I had some time to fool around with this and just like you said, it is allowing me to manually go one level lower. Unfortunately it changes back to the normal level when you change from Comfort to Eco Pro or back to Comfort. Thanks for correcting me on that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #22
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
well maybe its just our F15 that's super sensitive to the turn. If I at all hesitate to make a turn the blinker goes away but I feel like that hesitation sometimes is only a slight turn of the steering wheel so I have to constantly re-engage it. I do agree with you about the high beam function though.

Oh, try another or few other 2019 F16 while your dealer might still have them and see if it's just your car. Like I said they should function exactly the same as the old design, and worked brilliantly for me over the years
Appreciate 0