BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

1st post; some options questions

Hi all, 1st post and have some options questions. It's been a very long time since BMW ownership. 1987 325i LOL. been mostly MB AMG and porsches since then. current SUV is '14 TDI touareg used to tow porsche race car. The t-reg has been amazing - 150,000 trouble free miles but want something a little more comfortable as i sold the race car.

I have done some reading here but still have a few questions. Anyway, in no particular order i'm looking at the following spec/options:

M package Mineral white or Dark Graphite, with either black or coffee interior. shadowline, HK sound,

is the only way to get ventilated seats with luxury seats? is that a different seat than the multi contour? when i choose on the BMW site one doesn't remove the other from the spec, if that makes sense? they're both checked off. subjective question, but how much more snug are the multi contour if it's in fact a different seat?

interested in the Merino seats. do dealers typically have something in stock with merino so i can see it? is it much softer than the std. leather seats? asking from a wear standpoint - would the merino be a concern from additional/quicker wear?

bummed to see only RF tires as the option. living on L.I. 22" may be a bit much for the roads but they do look great. are there any all season available for 20 or 21? if not all season, what about summer/winter non RF?

Suspension - 3rd row seating air for $1350 or 2 axle for $150. what could be available for $150? LOL. what's the difference here?

finally, thoughts on leather dash and LED lights?

thanks and sorry if all over the map. hoping to visit dealer this weekend but wanted to have some knowledge before going in.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

We have Mineral White with the M Sport package (interior is black). It looks excellent, sharp and classy.

We have the 740M 20" wheels and the Bridgestone runflats that came on them really are not objectionable at all. I might go so far as saying I like them (at least early in their life). And I say that as someone who took runflats off of a previous 3 series right after I bought it. We actually preferred the look of the 20" 740M but the smaller sidewall of the larger size wheels might make a difference.

Not sure which LED lights you're talking about. Headlights or the accent lighting inside? The standard adaptive LED headlights are very good (we decided not to opt for lasers since the functionality is neutered in the US).

Last edited by gofast182; 01-23-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I embedded some thoughts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
is the only way to get ventilated seats with luxury seats? is that a different seat than the multi contour? when i choose on the BMW site one doesn't remove the other from the spec, if that makes sense? they're both checked off. subjective question, but how much more snug are the multi contour if it's in fact a different seat?

There are only two seats available for the X5, the standard sport seats and the multi-contour seats. The multi-contour seats are the seats that are used in the luxury seating package and ventilation and massage are added to them.

interested in the Merino seats. do dealers typically have something in stock with merino so i can see it? is it much softer than the std. leather seats? asking from a wear standpoint - would the merino be a concern from additional/quicker wear?

Obviously it could vary but dealers should have vehicles with both Vernasca and Merino. Merino is much softer but some say it will wear well if maintained.

Suspension - 3rd row seating air for $1350 or 2 axle for $150. what could be available for $150? LOL. what's the difference here?

You are looking at the MSport package so are already paying for the Adaptive M Suspension. If you choose to have the air suspension with that package it is an additional $150. By itself, the Air Suspension is a $1,000 option.

Leather dash is up to your preference. The standard Sensatec dash looks very good but I will get the leather dash in my one as I want to check just about every option. The laser lights are a must in my opinion not only for the looks but also for the performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

Welcome back to BMW! Responses in blue below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
M package Mineral white or Dark Graphite, with either black or coffee interior. shadowline, HK sound,

Comparing my X5 with multi contour with the loaner X5s I've had, the seats are really similar, though I find the multi contour to be significantly more comfortable. The snug-ness is also adjustable, and you can bring the side bolsters in or out to your preference. My merino leather seats are noticeably more supple compared to a recent loaner.

bummed to see only RF tires as the option. living on L.I. 22" may be a bit much for the roads but they do look great. are there any all season available for 20 or 21? if not all season, what about summer/winter non RF?

I'm in your neck of the woods and run non-RFTs on 22s with two sets of rims/tires for winter/summer. My X5 came with bridgestone RFTs on 20s and they were satisfactory all seasons, if you can deal with the fact they are RFT. If you are looking to avoid RF tires, I'd suggest the factory spare option.

I'd guess that the dealers in our area will have both standard/merino as well as standard/multicontour seats to check out (I'd be stunned if Rallye didn't have them on the lot to check out, though I'm really not a fan of their sales dept.) If you want to check out my X5 with multicontour and black merino, shoot me a PM.

Sorry, didn't go with 3rd row, and went with DHP.

I love the way that the LED headlights look, but as many here have stated they are neutered here in the US. I'm waiting for some help to get them coded . I went with the leather dash, and regret not going with the alcantara headliner. Really classes up the joint IMO...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Incredibly helpful all, thanks so much. and yes, i was referring to the laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

I have pretty much the same configuration in mind and visited the 2 dealers to literally check about everything I wanted to buy.
See my responses below.

Dark Graphite looks very good. I was looking at Arctic Grey in pictures but when I saw them side by side, Dark Graphite was much better looking for me. Coffee has a good two-tone thing going on side walls of the doors etc, while black was all back. But its your choice.

I was in same boat, same question until I saw a demo of both the options. The multicontour seats add 22point control for each seat. Eg, the back doesnt just move at an angle, you get 2 controls where lower back and upper back can be adjusted. You can select this option by itself if you want, but if you want ventilated then luxury is your only package. It has all three. I think the massaging is okay but I dont know how I will feel about it while driving lol.

I checked both. It is personal preference. I felt standard leather is good enough over sensatac and instead of going merino, I can use that $$ for functional upgrades. But your preference may be different.

I am literally in same boat. I so like the 21" 744 option. However friends here quickly drew my attention to the staggered setup ie: front and back wheels have different sizes and getting A/S tires is very limited. If you dont need A/S tires then you are good. There is a whole thread about how to do A/S tires on 21" 744 rims. I might just have to go with 20" 738 style I think.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1549834
and
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1656064

The price part is already answered. I found air suspension option on top of adaptive M worthwhile since you can lower or increase the hight of the vehicle. While driving options are limited, but the loading level is super awesome.

2 geniuses misguided me. They told me laser option has laser for dippers and for uppers. See this thread, it has great photos and videos about laser option. I am getting it even though I now know lazer only kicks in for uppers and that too after a certain speed. Most probably my city driving will never see them. The reason I am getting it is if I dont select, I will have to live with dummy inner headlights and the DRLs look very crappy for this price point.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=laser

thanks and sorry if all over the map. hoping to visit dealer this weekend but wanted to have some knowledge before going in.

I am visiting 3 dealers this weekend too - now its all about numbers.
There is an interesting thread about negotiations. I really found it very helpful. I would have been an idiot while negotiating if I hadnt read this thread.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1685696
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Nice config. Some additional info:

Dark graphite ( sophisto grey) is not available with m pack in Europe. Artic grey is (I have it)

The 20 inch wheels are also staggered. 275 front 305 back.

I have the lasers. Really makes the car look better and they work well too.

I have Merino and happy with it. Feels softer than Vernasca.

I have the leather dash because it was part of pack. I like it a lot. Had sensatec on my last car. Looks nice to but leather looks more exclusive. I don't know if I would have ordered it as a seperate option.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Not in the US, they are 275 all around.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Ok thanks, strange that they chose to make this different. I see that they come standard with AS tires in the US configurator. In Europe it's just the M 740 with winterwheels that are not staggered . And can you have graphite gray with m pack?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok thanks, strange that they chose to make this different. I see that they come standard with AS tires in the US configurator. In Europe it's just the M 740 with winterwheels that are not staggered . And can you have graphite gray with m pack?
Ja, same as Europe. Graphite gray is only available on xLine and arctic gray on M Sport.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ja, same as Europe. Graphite gray is only available on xLine and arctic gray on M Sport.
Ja ? Typo or do you speak Dutch?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Learning Slovenian

Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Learning Slovenian
👍
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

In regards to leather...BMW's Merino leather is a natural uncoated leather...thus it is softer and "supple" as others have mentioned. It feels good to the touch but because it is NOT coated...it does need a little bit more care if you want it to still look good in 4-5 years.

BMW's Vernasca leather falls between Nappa (a bit better grade) and Dakota/Nevada leathers (lesser grade). This leather has a coating on it which makes it a bit more durable (over time) but is not as soft and supple due to its protective coating.

See the info below for more details. If you don't know what full grain, split grain, corrected grain, and analine/semi-analine means in regards to leather...just do a quick google search. It's easily found information.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0