BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #23
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I would pile it on them through BBB. Your next step is FTC. These options/features are all advertised and used in the sales pitch. They have not updated their sites, addressed the issues, or compensated for anything.

There's another thread going on about remote software upgrades. The point being made is the OTAs will be one iteration behind what's available at the dealership. This is complete crap, as the description mentions the latest and greatest without having to go to the dealership. Read below, and tell me what your perception is:

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––

The Remote Software Upgrade feature helps to keep your BMW up-to-date with the latest software. Software upgrades can be loaded over-the-air, similar to smartphones. Upgrades can be loaded onto a smartphone via the BMW Connected app when connected to a domestic Wi-Fi network, while important updates are completed directly via your BMW’s embedded cellular connection.

The advantages to you include:

-Your BMW can be upgraded with the latest software at a time when it is convenient to you.
-Individual functional upgrades are available via a simple software update.

WHAT DOES THE REMOTE SOFTWARE UPGRADE OFFER?

The remote software upgrade keeps your vehicle's software up-to-date at all times. The upgrades are installed conveniently and quickly over the air, just like you are used to with your smartphone. This means your BMW is always up-to-date.

-Your BMW is always up-to-date and equipped with the latest software.
-Individual functional upgrades are also available free of charge.
-Quick and easy installation of the software.

Update? Upgrade!
Do you want your BMW's software to be up-to-date at all times, and easy to update just like you are used to from your smartphone? That's exactly what the remote software upgrade offers and it also gives you the good feeling of driving safely with the latest software. It keeps your car up-to-date and loads current upgrades simply over the air, just like you are used to from your smartphone. This is not only convenient and stress-free, but also saves time. Download the new software to your smartphone quickly and conveniently via the BMW Connected app on your home Wi-Fi network, and the next time you actively connect to your BMW, the upgrade will be prepared while you are driving and installed after arrival. Updates can also be made via the SIM card installed in your BMW. In addition, important vehicle upgrades can be installed automatically at any time in the first three years after registration. You can view the content of the completed software updates at any time in the vehicle itself or using the BMW Connected app.

I have to find the other portion where they mention updating the latest software without the "hassle" of going to the dealership. It's a bunch of horse shit what they're pulling...essentially, you're beta testing if you go to the dealership. I could've gone without the technology had I known it would be non-existent. I am one year into my "three year registration" with this vehicle. No RSU! I know someone will come over to comment with their hurt feelings to defend BMW. Just because people are critical and a little put off by the lack of follow through by BMW doesn't mean it's a piece of crap.

End Rant
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      02-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #24
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Called the Genius line yesterday about this same issue. They had me:

1) Start the car
2) Press and hold the volume knob on the radio controls (under the iDrive screen) for 70 seconds. The iDrive system should restart twice.
3)On the home screen, select Apps, then hit option on the iDrive controller, and update apps. Wait until it states the update is complete, then close.
4) Turn off car. Get out. Lock it. Wait a few mins. Then try the app again.

This process is similar to the one previously posted, but they didn't have mess with uninstalling the app or anything like that. Seemed to work and the app is functioning properly now.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #25
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
Called the Genius line yesterday about this same issue. They had me:

1) Start the car
2) Press and hold the volume knob on the radio controls (under the iDrive screen) for 70 seconds. The iDrive system should restart twice.
3)On the home screen, select Apps, then hit option on the iDrive controller, and update apps. Wait until it states the update is complete, then close.
4) Turn off car. Get out. Lock it. Wait a few mins. Then try the app again.

This process is similar to the one previously posted, but they didn't have mess with uninstalling the app or anything like that. Seemed to work and the app is functioning properly now.
Thank you Tn_3.

Tried this but didn't work for me!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #26
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Resolved!

After almost 5months, 20 plus calls to connected drive team and genius team, countless hours I filled the complain on BBB. A customer service rep reached out to me. He help expedite the ticket with connected drive team. The connected drive team didn't do any thing but asked me to take it to the service center.
The service center found a bulletin to update software for TCU. And, boom it started working.
They also updated the idrive software to 11/2019.55 not 03/2020. Service center did not even have to contact the connected drive team.
Now all the features on the connected drive app work. Lets see how long this last now!
Thank you all for great suggestions!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #27
M5NSX
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpat View Post
After almost 5months, 20 plus calls to connected drive team and genius team, countless hours I filled the complain on BBB. A customer service rep reached out to me. He help expedite the ticket with connected drive team. The connected drive team didn't do any thing but asked me to take it to the service center.
The service center found a bulletin to update software for TCU. And, boom it started working.
They also updated the idrive software to 11/2019.55 not 03/2020. Service center did not even have to contact the connected drive team.
Now all the features on the connected drive app work. Lets see how long this last now!
Your CD problem sounds just like mine except I haven’t spent nearly the time and effort into getting it fixed as you have. We got our 2020 X5 in November. I bet it has the same problem as yours. Going to screen shot your last post and show it to my local BMW service center.
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      03-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #28
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5NSX View Post
Quote:
Your CD problem sounds just like mine except I haven't spent nearly the time and effort into getting it fixed as you have. We got our 2020 X5 in November. I bet it has the same problem as yours. Going to screen shot your last post and show it to my local BMW service center.
It is mind boggling that how a reputed company like BMW still works with connected drive people after so many failures. No other car company's operating system app will have such poor rating like connected drive app has. It has less than 2 stars on Apple store. Such a shame and failure for BMW.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2020, 07:30 PM   #29
M5NSX
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
It is mind boggling that how a reputed company like BMW still works with connected drive people after so many failures. No other car company's operating system app will have such poor rating like connected drive app has. It has less than 2 stars on Apple store. Such a shame and failure for BMW.
Just wanted to let you know I screen shot your post that explained what you did and how you resolved it. Sent it to my local BMW Genius. Covid happened so I figured I’ll deal with it later. Get a call last week from the genius said she discussed your solution with a service advisor she set up an appointment and today they ran the software update. Low and behold my connected drive works now!! You are the man!! I knew I would a resolution to this problem here before CD or BMW stepped to the plate!! Thanks for your posts!!
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      05-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #30
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5NSX View Post
Quote:
Just wanted to let you know I screen shot your post that explained what you did and how you resolved it. Sent it to my local BMW Genius. Covid happened so I figured I'll deal with it later. Get a call last week from the genius said she discussed your solution with a service advisor she set up an appointment and today they ran the software update. Low and behold my connected drive works now!! You are the man!! I knew I would a resolution to this problem here before CD or BMW stepped to the plate!! Thanks for your posts!!
Awesome!
Appreciate 0