BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #23
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I don't think that would do anything to wash away potential viruses. They only survive some time ( hours ) outside a human body. This is not how it is transmitted. I don't know if inhaling Lysol would be a good idea either

Potential infection is by droplet infection by somebody coughing or sneezing next to you (stay away 1.5 - 2 m) or touching a surface some hours after an infected person touched it. And then touching your own nose or face. So wash your hand frequently and touch your face a less as possible.

I think if you leave your car alone for a day or so everything in your car should be gone.

Maybe it would be an idea to ask the dealer to open all windows to ventilate the car before pick up.

Wash frequently touched surfaces with alcohol. Door handle, steering wheel, on off button. And wash your own hands after you get out and park you car at home

And for the ac and air intacte it would make more sense to install a ffp 2 or 3 airfilter. I don't know if that exists.

But like mentioned. Avoid unnecessary contacts. So if it can be done in two months do it then.
Not so, studies link above shows virus can last for days......
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 10:00 PM   #24
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtreo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I don't think that would do anything to wash away potential viruses. They only survive some time ( hours ) outside a human body. This is not how it is transmitted. I don't know if inhaling Lysol would be a good idea either

Potential infection is by droplet infection by somebody coughing or sneezing next to you (stay away 1.5 - 2 m) or touching a surface some hours after an infected person touched it. And then touching your own nose or face. So wash your hand frequently and touch your face a less as possible.

I think if you leave your car alone for a day or so everything in your car should be gone.

Maybe it would be an idea to ask the dealer to open all windows to ventilate the car before pick up.

Wash frequently touched surfaces with alcohol. Door handle, steering wheel, on off button. And wash your own hands after you get out and park you car at home

And for the ac and air intacte it would make more sense to install a ffp 2 or 3 airfilter. I don't know if that exists.

But like mentioned. Avoid unnecessary contacts. So if it can be done in two months do it then.
Not so, studies link above shows virus can last for days......
Sorry you are correct. Didn't read this. I based my reply on older info. Information is changing fast.

Anyway don't take it in if not needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 11:26 PM   #25
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Brake fluid changes are time based because partially because of the risk of the fluid absorbing moisture over time. I'm sure I would be fine for another 2-3 months. Possibly even 6 months. I used to try and replace the fluid every two years. BMW recommends the fluid be replaced every 3 years. As long as the closed system is not compromised going over the 3 years by a few months is probably okay and my lease is up next month.

I'm hard on my brakes. Brakes and tires are things I don't mess around with too much which is why I said above that unless something changes, I'm planning on taking my car in for service. Right now I'm much more likely to contract COVID-19 from my own wife who's a healthcare professional working with infected patients than I am from taking the car for service (assuming I take reasonable precautions). Now, if the dealer closes shop then I'll obviously hold on replacing the fluid.

it may potentially be true that you're more likely to contract it from your wife than from the dealer, if she's a health care professional in contact with those that have COVID19. but then youre also more likely to spread it by visiting the dealership and potentially getting them ill
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:28 AM   #26
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Should ask them where they get their "hospital grade sanitizing product". either hes lying or he can hook us all up

got similar letter from both dealership!
My impression of these alerts is that they sorta have to tell us they are doing something. Many/most dealers are open (well as of a couple of days ago anyway) and if they want customers to visit, they have to tell them something good. Whether they all actually do everything they say they are doing is another story. Thing is with this virus, they shouldn't be doing the cleaning just for the customer, it helps them as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Should ask them where they get their "hospital grade sanitizing product". either hes lying or he can hook us all up

got similar letter from both dealership!
My impression of these alerts is that they sorta have to tell us they are doing something. Many/most dealers are open (well as of a couple of days ago anyway) and if they want customers to visit, they have to tell them something good. Whether they all actually do everything they say they are doing is another story. Thing is with this virus, they shouldn't be doing the cleaning just for the customer, it helps them as well.
On Friday the dealership here in Dubai which has a huge showroom, moved out every vehicle and completely sanitised the whole building and then put it all back together again ready to open yesterday. Likely it will be closing soon but the sales staff will still be working to deliver orders (subject to ongoing government restrictions). They also have an online portal where you can view stock vehicles and deals live, should you feel the need to buy a vehicle from home
      03-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #27
renogi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i

I took mine in yesterday (March 21st) for an oil change, rotor repair and lease inspection. I was very impressed by the precautions being taken.

The staff has been split 50-50 and alternate days. Showroom doors are locked, visits are by appointment only. They are also limiting the number of customers in the showroom to 10 or less.

I also took an X50 50i out for a test drive. Before I got into the car all the surfaces were wiped down including the key fob. I took the car out on my own for about 20 minutes and when I returned pulled into the service bay were the wipe down was repeated.
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1037.00
      03-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #28
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

My dealer just sent a 10% off maintenance coupon and this note:

"Jackie Cooper BMW is still open for business during these challenging times, we are taking measures to ensure the safety and health of our customers.
As part of our efforts, we are offering COMPLIMENTARY pick-up and delivery service through the end of April*. In addition, we are equipping all cars with protective steering wheel and seat covers during servicing."
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #29
Xeno
Major
Rep

Dealer just had my car for 4 days + weekend (replace radiator). They also put a lot of miles on the car so I will need to check my video cameras for footage.

While they did the pick up and delivery - including a loaner when I learned it was staying so long - the steering wheel had plastic but not the seat. I disinfected all the high-touch areas
before getting inside.

Just started to look at the video and today's driver drove up to 87 mph. He also turned on my V1. When he got to me, he told me how respectful he was when it was not his car!

Last edited by Xeno; 05-05-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #30
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Dealer just had my car for 4 days + weekend (replace radiator). They also put a lot of miles on the car so I will need to check my video cameras for footage.

While they did the pick up and delivery - including a loaner when I learned it was staying so long - the steering wheel had plastic but not the seat. I disinfected all the high-touch areas
before getting inside.

Just started to look at the video and today's driver drove up to 87 mph. He also turned on my V1. When he got to me, he told me how respectful he was when it was not his car!
I would copy that video file and take it to the dealer's service manager. This is one reason why I would not allow a dealer to pickup/deliver my vehicle for service. I don't trust any of them to treat my car like I do.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #31
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I would copy that video file and take it to the dealer's service manager. This is one reason why I would not allow a dealer to pickup/deliver my vehicle for service. I don't trust any of them to treat my car like I do.
I sent a note to the SA. The driver called and apologized but was not truthful in his explanation as the video makes clear.

SA asked for video, but the file is too big (188 MB) and he cannot take OD links with SMS or email. It is not my job to solve these IT issues and I am not putting 35 miles on my car to show them the video on my iPad.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #32
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I sent a note to the SA. The driver called and apologized but was not truthful in his explanation as the video makes clear.

SA asked for video, but the file is too big (188 MB) and he cannot take OD links with SMS or email. It is not my job to solve these IT issues and I am not putting 35 miles on my car to show them the video on my iPad.
That's ridiculous! They can't take a shared link to "Google Drive" or similar with the video attached? How about uploading it to "YouTube" and sending them a link to that?

If they say no then they're just making excuses to not have to deal with it.

You've reaffirmed why I will not allow any dealer to pickup and deliver my vehicle to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 05:28 AM   #33
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
My 328 needed tires, front end alignment, and an oil change so I brought it to my dealer. Drove into the service bay and was greeted by my SA with wipes for my key steering wheel and shift knob. When I picked up the car the steering wheel had a wrap. I live in NJ which is the 2nd worst state for this virus. Unless you have a pre-existing condition there is no reason for fear. We have to wear a mask in stores and I carry alcohol sanitizer. Get some fresh air, locking yourself in your home will never let your body build up immunity! Be safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #34
SJW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 X5 40i Dark Graphite

Took mine in for oil service last week. The dealer covered the steering wheel and driver's seat as well as used a special decontamination process. Felt perfectly comfortable. Gave me a X7 loaner with air suspension which I do not have. NICE ride but definitely floated around a bit. Also did not have Sport Plus mode which I thought was strange.
      05-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #35
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

That's ridiculous! They can't take a shared link to "Google Drive" or similar with the video attached? How about uploading it to "YouTube" and sending them a link to that?

If they say no then they're just making excuses to not have to deal with it.

You've reaffirmed why I will not allow any dealer to pickup and deliver my vehicle to the dealership.
BMW Canada Connected Drive support would not accept any links from me, including links to YouTube videos I made of the bugs I wanted them to solve. Claimed it was a security issue. Didn't offer an alternative way to communicate clear information. I lost all remaining respect for them after that (there wasn't much left by that time anyway).