03-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Group Buy - BavSound

Hey Gang!

@Squirble Did a recent post on his recent BavSound Upgrade: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirble View Post
I installed the BavSound Stage 1 and subwoofer kit today. The system sounds much better. I had the HK system. I was not expecting this much of a sound change. The bass hits harder and the mids and highs are very clear. I can feel the output of the subs on my legs now. The bass doesn't die out when you turn the volume up and there is no distortion. I'm very satisfied with the speaker system.
For those of you unfamiliar with BavSound, they sell very high quality speakers & amps that fit with factory precision and same factory connectors. Not extra cutting or splicing. These speakers are far superior to HiFi or even the HK factory upgraded speakers.

G05/06 Does not have subwoofer kit yet. Posting pics of G05/06 kit below.

I've been on the fence for months for this update. Lots of great reviews online and YouTube. Squirble's efforts, feedback with nice photos made me think this was a very nice sound upgrade for the X3. There was a 17% St. Patty's Day promo that we missed out on.

HOWEVER: After some mild badgering, begging and so forth (I'm married and nearly a pro at this now) we are being offered a One Time Group buy @ 20% off!! That's the best discount I've heard of yet.

I still working on a few details and limits. But what I know now:
  • 20% Discount
  • Require at least 5 members commit to purchasing BavSound kit to get this Group Buy discount.
Who's with me?! Please PM me directly if you're interested and ready to purchase next week or two. I suspect they will limit how many people can take advantage of this group discount - first come first to reap the discount.

Also of note: They anticipate becoming constrained. Early orders most likely not to wait for components from vendors.

Note 2: This discount will also apply for any BMW BavSound kit!

I will update this post with more info as it.

Checkout kits @ https://www.bavsound.com

UPDATE: DEAL CAPPED AT 5. 4 spots already taken.
Attached Images

Last edited by sinbad4; 03-25-2020 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
beeme55
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive40i 2020

Am I too late to the party?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Is the amp compatible yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:47 AM   #4
RayoVac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Is the amp compatible yet?
No they don't have one for the G05 yet. They are working on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:46 AM   #5
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Anyone down to do a group buy for the g05/g06 subwoofer kit?

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
RayoVac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
Yes, count me in!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:02 AM   #7
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayoVac View Post
Quote:
Yes, count me in!!!
Let's get a few more people in so we can make this happen!

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:41 AM   #8
lexieke
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5

Only US or also shipment to EU?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:38 PM   #9
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Count me in! I’ve wanted to do this for a while! I have a G05 with the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:53 AM   #10
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Count me in! I've wanted to do this for a while! I have a G05 with the HK system.
Awesome - that's three of us. Can we get two more?

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:54 AM   #11
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexieke View Post
Only US or also shipment to EU?
Shipping I don't know. Can reach out and see.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:32 AM   #12
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Where is the subwoofer installed? Does it need a separate amplifier? How is it connected to the existing audio system? Can you provide frequency response curves with and without the subwoofer?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #13
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Where is the subwoofer installed? Does it need a separate amplifier? How is it connected to the existing audio system? Can you provide frequency response curves with and without the subwoofer?
If you already have the HK System the subwoofers are located underneath the driver and passenger (front) seats. They are plug and play for the most part. As for your other questions you should check out the website and reviews online. Curves are available at www.bavsound.com

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #14
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
If you already have the HK System the subwoofers are located underneath the driver and passenger (front) seats. They are plug and play for the most part. As for your other questions you should check out the website and reviews online. Curves are available at www.bavsound.com
Oh, okay.. I thought this was about installing additional subwoofer(s). Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #15
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Oh, okay.. I thought this was about installing additional subwoofer(s). Thanks for the link!
Technically you should able to splice the wires where both factory subs are placed and run a new cable from that point to a new subwoofer (in the trunk perhaps)?

That might work but can't say for sure.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #16
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Technically you should able to splice the wires where both factory subs are placed and run a new cable from that point to a new subwoofer (in the trunk perhaps)?

That might work but can't say for sure.
Works very well and relatively easy on the X5.
The amplifier is in the left cubbyhole of the trunk, and the car battery is in the trunk as well so no running wires from the front of the car.
I only ran one wire for a remote for the subwoofer amplifier but that is optional.
You can also get a harness from Technic so you don’t even need to splice any wires, just plug in between the amplifier and plug, and you’re good to go.

I installed a separate subwoofer and also a separate amplifier for the underseat HK subs, it took a lot of tuning and I’m still not 100% satisfied with the sound but it’s already a big step forward.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #17
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
Works very well and relatively easy on the X5.
The amplifier is in the left cubbyhole of the trunk, and the car battery is in the trunk as well so no running wires from the front of the car.
I only ran one wire for a remote for the subwoofer amplifier but that is optional.
You can also get a harness from Technic so you don’t even need to splice any wires, just plug in between the amplifier and plug, and you’re good to go.

I installed a separate subwoofer and also a separate amplifier for the underseat HK subs, it took a lot of tuning and I’m still not 100% satisfied with the sound but it’s already a big step forward.
Interesting! I didn't know that could be done. Could you tell us more about which harness you used and where you installed the extra sub? Could you send any pictures? I'd love to put a sub in the luggage compartment underneath the trunk in my X6 and power it from a separate mono amp which I could also locate in the same area.

Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #18
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

FYI, unless something changed recently (I did bav speakers recently):

-There is no amp upgrade at this time. BMW changed to a Receiver Audio Module (RAM) ~2019, and as of now it's a single unit that integrates the receivers (Satellite, AM/FM), ASD, and base-stereo output. Additional equipment, like HK or B&W adds a supplemental booster to the unit.

-The subs under the front seats are replaceable per someone else on the forum, but bavsound officially does not list it. The reasoning, as I understand it, is that unlike the 3 series, the X5 mounting components are heavily glued and are more likely to result in damaging an expensive part that you need to crack open to change the sub.

Those items said, the speakers sound great. After a month or two with it, the sound is far superior to the stock speakers in my view.

Last edited by timmahh; 10-06-2020 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #19
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
FYI, unless something changed recently (I did bav speakers recently):

-There is no amp upgrade at this time. BMW changed to a Receiver Audio Module (RAM) ~2019, and as of now it's a single unit that integrates the receivers (Satellite, AM/FM), ASD, and base-stereo output. Additional equipment, like HK or B&W adds a supplemental booster to the unit.

-The subs under the front seats are replaceable per someone else on the forum, but bavsound officially does not list it. The reasoning, as I understand it, is that unlike the 3 series, the X5 mounting components are heavily glued and are more likely to result in damaging an expensive part that you need to crack open to change the sub.

Those items said, the speakers sound great. After a month or two with it, the sound is far superior to the stock speakers in my view.
Bavsound does list the subwoofer Ghost upgrade for the x5 and x5 on their site. Detaching the glue isn't trivial. Just requires care and patience with a heat gun.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #20
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Interesting! I didn't know that could be done. Could you tell us more about which harness you used and where you installed the extra sub? Could you send any pictures? I'd love to put a sub in the luggage compartment underneath the trunk in my X6 and power it from a separate mono amp which I could also locate in the same area.
Yes, sure.

The trunk of the 45e is a little different I guess so I don't know exactly what the bottom of your trunk looks like but I'm pretty sure the battery (batteries actually) is also underneath it.

The subwoofer is fixed in the trunk with luggage straps to the cargo hooks, and I soldered a high current plug in the speaker wire (from an R/C car), so it is very easily removable if the seats need to fold.

The stock HK amplifier is in the left cubbyhole, you can see it in the second picture. Just unplug and put the harness in between, then you have an output for the front speakers (and also the possibility to power the HK subwoofers from a separate amp, if you so desire.)

I used the harness by technic, he is pretty known for that stuff on several BMW forums and made a business out of it. This is the one for the HK, for example:
http://technicpnp.com/product-catego...on-688-x5-g05/

The speaker output goes to a Line Out Converter, take care there as you need one which can handle the high voltage output of the stock amplifier. I used an LC2i, that works good.

In the third picture you see what my trunk looks like, the bottom cover removes very easily with just 7 plugs (which you can even take out with your fingernails ). In the fourth picture you see what it looks like underneath, easy access the the battery and my monoblock amp is right next to it.

In the fifth picture you see where I put the amp for the HK subs.

Last picture is just a detail for the battery power connection (fused of course)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-07-2020, 11:03 AM   #21
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
Yes, sure.

The trunk of the 45e is a little different I guess so I don't know exactly what the bottom of your trunk looks like but I'm pretty sure the battery (batteries actually) is also underneath it.

The subwoofer is fixed in the trunk with luggage straps to the cargo hooks, and I soldered a high current plug in the speaker wire (from an R/C car), so it is very easily removable if the seats need to fold.

The stock HK amplifier is in the left cubbyhole, you can see it in the second picture. Just unplug and put the harness in between, then you have an output for the front speakers (and also the possibility to power the HK subwoofers from a separate amp, if you so desire.)

I used the harness by technic, he is pretty known for that stuff on several BMW forums and made a business out of it. This is the one for the HK, for example:
http://technicpnp.com/product-catego...on-688-x5-g05/

The speaker output goes to a Line Out Converter, take care there as you need one which can handle the high voltage output of the stock amplifier. I used an LC2i, that works good.

In the third picture you see what my trunk looks like, the bottom cover removes very easily with just 7 plugs (which you can even take out with your fingernails ). In the fourth picture you see what it looks like underneath, easy access the the battery and my monoblock amp is right next to it.

In the fifth picture you see where I put the amp for the HK subs.

Last picture is just a detail for the battery power connection (fused of course)
Thanks so much for the photos. So, the harness will maintain all the current connections to existing speakers and provide me a new output to which I can connect a new sub? Is it possible to have the existing subs still run on the factory amp an still connect a new mono amp to power a new sub? I noticed you have an LC2 as well - what are you using that for? Is it for line output to the sub or do you have new speakers running as well?

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #22
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Thanks so much for the photos. So, the harness will maintain all the current connections to existing speakers and provide me a new output to which I can connect a new sub?

Yes, correct, front speaker output

Is it possible to have the existing subs still run on the factory amp an still connect a new mono amp to power a new sub?

Yes, no problem

I noticed you have an LC2 as well - what are you using that for? Is it for line output to the sub or do you have new speakers running as well?

The factory amp output (I believe 40volts) is too powerful for most high level inputs on amplifiers. The LC2i can handle that power.
Appreciate 0